Love and depression

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by vir, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vir

vir Well-Known Member

I wrote this poem quite a few years ago, about trying to be in a relationship while depressed, with someone who isn't. I didn't write it about anyone in particular, but then remembered the poem the other day, and realized how well it applied to my last girlfriend. So I dug it up and sent it to her. She claims to have loved it. The rhyme scheme is as simple as they get, and it's not great, but I think this is the best description of my emotions that I've ever been able to put to words. Anyway, I figured I'd post it here, to see if maybe someone else was able to relate.

You laugh, you sing, you dance, you fly.
    It looks so fun, I want to try.
    But as I start, that dog, jet black,
    Has seized my mind and pulled me back.

I think I cannot take the chance,
    That he should mock my silly dance.
    I know him wrong, and make the choice,
    To disregard his jeering voice.

We start to dance, our bodies tight,
    As I reflect your carefree light,
    And I clutch tight that foreign thought,
    That past and future mean but naught.

My heart believes this honest lie.
    For just one beat I thought we'd fly.
    I lost what I had thought I'd found.
    We tried, but could not leave the ground.

You cannot lift my heavy weight.
    It isn't you, it's me I hate.
    It's out of mind, but still I know.
    I try and try but can't let go.

I wish I could remember more.
    The way you smelled, the dress you wore.
    Those memories have turned to fog,
    And nothing's left except the dog.

2. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I can relate, and I think it's an awesome poem. Excellent work! You should write more.

3. Lps

Lps Well-Known Member

Hey Vir. :) what really strikes me about this is that you're missing out on having someone love you, and knowing how amazing love is, my heart goes out to you. But I can understand some pieces of how you feel.

I have resisted love in some ways. But I'm lucky that there are certain people who always drag me back to a place that makes sense. So I'm starting with total acceptance of myself. Thank god, no one tells me "Cheer UP" or "Be Strong" because I'd say "F U" hahahahahah. Stifling sad doesn't work...it only makes it worse. But accepting yourself and beginning to forgive yourself eases some of the pressure.

And man, if girls want to love you, that's such a gift. Love truly changes the world. So don't push away their light forever! :)

4. vir

vir Well-Known Member

I'm actually writing a book right now, I think I'm better at prose than poetry. I can't say much about it until it's announced though.

I've been in love. It was truly amazing, but then the depression came back, and I didn't want to be around anyone, even the girl who loved me.

I never thought about it that way, but I guess you're right. I was trying to stifle the sadness, sometimes with willpower and sometimes with drugs, so that I could be in a relationship with a girl who had so many characteristics that I wished I had.

I just wish I was better at keeping the depression at bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.