Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Lovecraft, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Are we better off with it?

Are we better off without it?

Does love offer more joy and revelry than it does heartbreak and misery?
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Emotional vulnerability hurts

But love is the only concept that keeps me afloat.

Of course not having that love...

I say go the way of the bonobo.
  3. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

bonobo? me no get :smile:
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

You can't not have love.
    You can only believe that you do not have love.
    Love is always there for you.

Love's a tricky subject. Words can't really describe it.
    It's one of those things that needs a first hand experience.
    Not necessarily from another.

But what really is worth living for or striving for except love?
    What could be more important, more worthwhile, more meaningful?
  5. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Death? Next question.
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

What if I said I don't know love? I've never felt the affection so many say they do. I've never been so attached to anyone. I'd only be sad if my parents - and they are good parents by just about any standard I've seen - died because it'd change my life in ways I don't desire. You could tell me my sister - not an abusive one or anything, a pretty good sister - was dead, I'd go "Wow. That sucks" and that'd be it.

Really though, I don't think love is worth striving for; maybe why I'm so insensitive to it. Even when love is unbroken by time or space, we all die. Alone. No amount of love matters in the end; it dies with us.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Knowledge? Wisdom?
    Happiness? Contentment?
    Progress? Personal Goals?
    These things are equally meaningless I guess.

Some people are. Some people aren't.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  8. camerondavid

camerondavid Guest

Love is a hard thing to live without. Possible, but hard. It defines us. Gives us meaning. If no one loved, there would be no human existance. No passion, no thoughtfulness, no one would care how they treated others, we would live only to please ourselves. Having love and loving is simply God's way of saying there is hope. That out there, somewhere, someone cares. Love brings us compassion, humility, joy, thoughtfulness, peace, hope, and many other things impossible to live without. Could we survive this world without love? No. Are we better off without love? No.
  9. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say we're better off without love, sometimes i think the love we receive from family and friends is far more reliable than that we receive within a relationship, despite it being the kind of love most people strive to find. though in saying that, the end of a relationship, or even a friendship has always resulted for me in my inadequacies being emphasised, something that would be easier to live without. but generally, i don't think anyone is better off without love. the hurt that can come with it is definitely preferable to the emptiness we feel without it.
  10. fromthatshow

I am sorry you have never felt loved. I have never felt loved by my parents, though I have felt it elsewhere.
    Love is definitely not attachment though. Quite the opposite I think.

I know how you feel though. You can never be completely loveless though. Love is life. With no love there is no will, and you are still here, so you must have love somewhere for yourself.

But what care would I have for knowledge or wisdom, for progress or goals if they were not done so lovingly and for the purpose of bring more love to myself and others? Love brings happiness and contentment along with it :heart:
  11. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Love is ok if you can manage to keep it at a distance.
  12. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

love is just a heightened physical arousal (not necessarily sexual), caused my hormones, felt whilst around particular people... you then associate that physical arousal with that person and thus, continue to feel it whenever they're around.
    "love" is just something that occurs to ensure the continuance of reproduction, either through mainanance of others' health (as in the need to protect/feed/water a family member or friend) or sexual reproduction itself...

but that doesn't mean it's not nice :smile:
  13. fromthatshow

That is your definition of love, not necessarily "the" definition. It is not mine.
    I don't believe love has anything to do with anything physical, but everything spiritual. Love is a feeling that comes from the soul :heart:
  14. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

woops sorry, i meant to write 'in my opinion'... slipped my mind.
    i appreciate everyone's view on love
    i think that most people have felt similarities to everyone else in their view of love during their lives because it's universal, it's the same all round.
    that's generally why i think of it biologically, because culture and enviroment and personality don't really come into it. everyone feels love at some point (with exceptions)...

but yes, you're right, that's my opinion :smile:
  15. Ziggy

These things pass time. I never love, but I'm never bored.

So love. Are we better off without it? Well, it's probably true to say that everyone who's ever loved me would have been better off if they hadn't. People can be so foolish.
  16. fromthatshow

No one is foolish for loving you. You absolutely deserved to be love, you still do, and you always will :heart: :arms:
  17. Ziggy

I guess this isn't true. Rejecting others is probably a sign of true love.

In a way I think this thread is kind of pointless. Can we choose whether we love others or not?
  18. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Love is simply an illusion. For some the illusion goes away (divorce) and for others it stays there for the rest of their lives.
  19. Ziggy

Thinking that we are loved is the illusion.
    Love is like laughing or crying, it's just a way of expressing ourselves.
    (or maybe it's not. How would I know?)
    Anyway what I think I'm saying is that if you deny love then you're denying that part of who you are, so you should always be open to the possibility.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  20. fromthatshow

If love is the illusion then what is real?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.