Loving & finding yourself

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by electricblue, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electricblue

electricblue New Member

This is something that i have never been able to do and i still don't know who i am at the age of 25. I refuse to love myself because i'm repulsive to look at mainly because of my weight and size. I can't even bear to look at my own reflection in the mirror. I am trying to do something about it now and i aim to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and i do try and eat healthy. But how will i ever love myself in order for other's to love me? And when will i finally find myself? I kinda know the person i want to be but i don't know how to be that person. I'm really sorry if i'm not making sense but my head seems to be all over the place at the moment

xx

P.S Does anyone know any good books on loving yourself and self esteem as i clearly haven't got any

2. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

Alot of what you say about yourself is similar to my feelings. I have no self esteem and don't like a few of my physical traits, your working on it by going to the gym, but no matter how much weight you lose, your not gonna be happy unless you like you just how you are, you can alter your looks, but its even harder to alter your feelings. Try and work on that as well, whether it means talking to members on here, a therapist, or a close friend, also see if medication is recomennded, as some people are born with low levels of seretonin, I think its called, inhabilitating our happiness. PM me if you wanna talk, hope all turns out well for you.

3. Numbly

Numbly New Member

There's more to loving oneself than being able to look at oneself in the mirror. When I was in great shape I did have more self confidence and was slightly more outgoing, there's always been something else that made me not like myself.

Being in shape is but one piece of the puzzle I find. Hopefully you find the ones you need.

4. chewie93

chewie93 Member

I'd like to reiterate what the others have said. Exercising is a great idea, and it's a natural antidepressant. But fundamentally you need to love yourself for who you are, not who you want to be. The best things to do are what Christian mentioned--talk with a therapist or a close friend or anyone who will show you how important you really are. There are a lot of people on these boards who are more than willing to do just that. You can PM me if you'd like to talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.