Low Wage Jobs

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Cursed Angel, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Cursed Angel

Cursed Angel Active Member

I was just wondering if there is anyone on this forum who is feeling suical because of a low paying job. With a low paying job you just can't live the right kind of life you want. Its even hard(or in some cases impossible) to get a good woman with a low wage job because she may feel that you are not capable of taking good care of a family with a low amount of money. It hurts even more when you see someone else living a good life because that's the kind of life that you try to obtain.

This is what made me wanna kill myself. Now that I'm moving on up to a better paying job, I don't have any suicidal feelings. I guess you can say that the only reason I'm alive is because I make good money now. But I was just wondering if anybody else feels the same way or have felt this way before.

2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I'm not suicidal, but am very depressed that I'm unemployed. I have to depend on my relatives to pay my bills right now and that's a big blow to my ego, cause I can't support myself and my family on my own. :sad:

3. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i dont think it makes me feel very good but is not a reason for me wanting to kill myself.

i spent and gave away a load of money and afterwards thought 'may be thats why im down' but then i realised that it made no difference to my life. if i had 1 million, i would still feel the same except all the people who took advantage of me will come back to get more money.

with a low paying job it sucks if you see all these people with their nice cars and stuff and going abroad on holidays etc but then i realised it doesnt really bother me that much.

my only regret in not having enough money is that it is a struggle to buy things for people i like.

4. AbusedAbuser

AbusedAbuser New Member

Have you considered of life a crime? Contrary to popular opinion crime actually pays rather well. Of course if you get caught your destined to to work low wage jobs (if you can find any) for the rest of your life.

Seriously though, there's lots of decent jobs you can get working in public sector. Sure being a garbage man, police officer, or a firefighter are hard jobs but the pay could be worse. I've known janitor's who make more than cops too, but good luck finding a cushy union job like that now a days.

Service is great too. Enlist for three years. Get room, board, maybe some money for school. Or save up try and start a business. Assuming a clean criminal record some security jobs pay well especially with a military background.

If you're serious about school and you're a mature student (i.e., you've been out of school for a while) most universities will offer some sort of program to integrate you into the main stream. In fact you may find getting into a university easier as an adult than you would have as a teenager. You're never too old to get it done and you'd be surprised what kind of doors a little piece of paper will open for you. Or what kind of bursaries and financial assistance you might find available.

Have you considered relocating? Growing towns are often in need of new labour and sometimes even menial jobs can earn a decent wage. The only person who can really make a difference is you. If you want to make a better wage you have to get out there and find opportunity in any flavour you like and just go for it. Babe Ruth may have hit a lot of home runs but he also led the league in strike outs. You gotta just keep putting yourself out there until you find something. Anyways there's my unsolicited advice.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  5. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

I feel much the same way, Cursed. I've lived my entire life under the care of a single parent with either a low paying job or welfare, and I have made a promise that I won't end up that way.

You might think that promise would give me some motivation to succeed, but instead it just makes me think of escaping everything...

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

A sense of helplessness because of lack of ability to pay for the basics of survival has led many people into feelings of suicide. Even the wealthy can have these feelings when they are not as financially secure as they have been accustomed to. I guess it is not the low paying job itself, but the feelings that become attached to the lack of money you feel is necessary sustain life.

7. Cursed Angel

Cursed Angel Active Member

Naw bro, don't think of escaping, stay motivated. And I'm not trying 2 force religion on u, but think about serving God and ask him 4 help with your financial adventures.

8. Believe

Believe Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel... this is pretty much the topic of my own "Let It Out" post tonight. :)

9. gag

gag Well-Known Member

Way I see it is, there are much finer things in life than money.

Look at it for what it is, paper and ink. Doesn't mean all that much.

As far as getting a girlfriend or what have you, a chick should like you for your personality, not your finances.

10. Believe

Believe Well-Known Member

Yes, there are things in life much more important than money... but money does mean a lot. It means decent housing, clothes, food, and diversions - all pretty important to a person.

11. gag

gag Well-Known Member

This is true, which is pretty disgusting.

We charge people money for food, water, and shelter. There's something seriously wrong with that.

12. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Yeah, some people are in a trap which has nothing to do with them. A lot of people are struggling when it comes to work-benefits etc. "Personality" means nothing if you're struggling financially all the time and feeling the effects of that... I'm on benefits but I wouldn't say I was poor. I mean I have enough....and I spend nothing really.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  13. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

The things I write here.:laugh:

14. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

the gap with the rich and the poor is increasing;

What the hell is this world?

Humans take more than they need and hurt their fellow man in the process.

15. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Have you tried working your way up? I started in my first job at $2.65 per hour... that was minimum wage at that time. I worked hard and it didn't happen over night, but eventually I was #3 man in management of a Fortune 500 company (NO COLLEGE) and own my own business now. My oldest son started by being a bus boy cleaning tables in a pizza restaurant... today he is General Manager over 4 locations of it (NO COLLEGE). How can this be achieved? Sticking to it, working hard, setting long term goals, keeping a positive attitude, making the best of your off hours time to decompress, and being honest. Don't drink in excess, don't do illegal drugs, don't slack off on the job, don't not do extra work that is above and beyond your job description's expectations, and don't give up. That is the recipe for achieving higher goals and leaving a low wage job eventually behind. We can either watch while others move forward, or we can join them. Close the gap between the rich and the poor, it can be done but you have to really push at it. If you are all these things (honest, hard working, sincere, etc.), that in of itself should be enough to attract a lasting relationship.