1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lower entrance requirements for University if you are bipolar?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hi I'm from the Uk and I am looking to go to uni soon. I am also bipolar and it affects my work a lot. Often, if you have been ill then universitys will lower the entrance requirements, and I was just wondering if this could happen because of my being bipolar? The problem is, noone at my college knows about it so I am not sure how I would go about this.

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I think you need evidence - an extenuating circumstances form and maybe a doctor's note at the very least. The 'extenuating circumstances' form is a must though, from what I believe. That seemed to be the way with everything even vaguely out of the ordinary at uni - you need a paper trail...

Don't take my word for it though, please! Ask around / ring your prospective uni and ask.

3. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

You would certainly require an extenuating circumstances form from a doctor, this might be the opportunity to be open about what's going on and get more support through your A-levels...

4. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

I wonder if it applies to depression as well...or does that make universities see me as a liability student?

5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I know that you would have to get a whole bunch of stuff from your doctor/psych/people and probably write a "description of circumstances".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.