Lower entrance requirements for University if you are bipolar?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hi I'm from the Uk and I am looking to go to uni soon. I am also bipolar and it affects my work a lot. Often, if you have been ill then universitys will lower the entrance requirements, and I was just wondering if this could happen because of my being bipolar? The problem is, noone at my college knows about it so I am not sure how I would go about this.
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I think you need evidence - an extenuating circumstances form and maybe a doctor's note at the very least. The 'extenuating circumstances' form is a must though, from what I believe. That seemed to be the way with everything even vaguely out of the ordinary at uni - you need a paper trail...

Don't take my word for it though, please! Ask around / ring your prospective uni and ask.
  3. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

You would certainly require an extenuating circumstances form from a doctor, this might be the opportunity to be open about what's going on and get more support through your A-levels...
  4. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

I wonder if it applies to depression as well...or does that make universities see me as a liability student?
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I know that you would have to get a whole bunch of stuff from your doctor/psych/people and probably write a "description of circumstances".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.