Lucky Charms Unlucky For Homeless Man (15 yrs in prison!)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by worlds edge, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Damn. And I thought my life sucked...I'm in paradise compared to this dude. Certainly give a new meaning to those "Always after me lucky charms" commercials, don't it?

Link to Lakeland, FL Ledger

Dunno about you guys, but I'm going to feel so much safer with this criminal kingpin off the streets. $6.08 stolen, 15 years in jail. Seems reasonable, right?

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Yes, it seems harsh but what is society supposed to do with a repeat offender who has 50 priors including "grand theft"? It's a good debate to have. I don't know what the answer is.

3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

how about trying to find out why he feels the need to offend?
    He was homeless and hungry, its despicable.

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

But what of the other 49 priors?

5. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

In Sweden, some politicians (in the biggest party, actually) have managed to understand the answer - getting the homeless off the streets. That is, by getting apartments for them.

Unfortunately, after they had started talking about it, they lost the 2006 election and now are in opposition. Instead we have hate-worthy right-wing parties in power (that actually would be seen as radically left in the US, lol).

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

What disturbs me is that he even made to that many felonies. The rate of recidivism in this country is a testament to the failures of our rehabilitation system.

8. Robin

Robin Guest

I am not aware of hardly any countries that have a system of rehabilitation, most laws are designed to lock inmates up 23 hours a day and they only let em out early when they can't afford to build and maintain more prisons.

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Head on over to Canada Robin. Thinking of doing enough felonies to get me a room at Chez Prison! Rehab is available if the inmate wants to participate. Drugs are easier to get in prison than in the parking lot of most high schools. Inmates atleast here, have a menu which includes ocassionally being spoiled with steak or lobster etc. A mandatory life sentence here means that the criminal will spend a miniumum of 7 years (then deduct the time for good behaviour and time spent in jail before sentencing yadda yaddayadda) then they are eligible for parole if granted.

Now me, I have a 13 inch tv that gets farmer cable (out here that means the 4 basic channels that you dont have to pay to see and dont need a dish or some type of hook up), we live off ground beef as our special meat when I can afford it. I have to pay if I want decent help with my mental health issues, drugs well not going there (lol), My sentence is a lifetime one. But no chance at parole or shortening of my sentence. My crime being a single unemployable mother of 4.

Let's not even start with the prisons that celebrities get "thrown" into in the USA. A day at the spa is probably more harsh.

Wow go figure, I'd be better off if I quit trying so hard to be an upstanding law abiding citizen.

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Yea I heard Paris Hilton ( :puke: ) got released after a few days in "prison" because it emotionally disturbed her, apparently the lighting made her look terrible lol

11. Zurkhardo

The problem is that people see rehabilitation as soft, when really the argument for it is more practical than gullible. Most criminals are people's whose actions result from negative factors, be they socioeconomic, psychological, genetic, etc. Throwing them in a repressive, nonconstructive environment will, at best, not fix the problem and, at worst, worsen it (hence the high recidivism rate).

Trying to tap into the potential of the majority that have it is the best, cheapest, and safest way. The alternative has been tried for decades and has hardly worked. It's high time we strengthen other rehabilitative options.

12. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I agree with your viewpoint here Zurk. It is not soft at all to rehabilitate someone. It is the same reasoning that some people use regarding war veterans being soft if they get psychiatric assistance to help them deal with the horrible things they saw overseas. We have seen the financial costs associated with depression and other mental diseases and just looking at these situations from that persective makes complete sense to rehab someone as opposed to just flat out punishing them. If we are not going to rehab, it seems almost more humane to just give some people the death penalty.

13. Zurkhardo

Good analogy Mike :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.