Lurkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutral

I think on most forums, no matter the subject, there is a lot more readers than posters.

Here, fear of being rejected could have a part the play.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I'm not sure about 'fun' but I think it's useful to read threads from people who are in a similar situation to yourself. So for example I might look at the Depression forum but never venture into Eating Disorders, and it's helpful for me to do so.

I think the first post is always the most difficult 'cos you're worried about being ignored. Whereas after the first couple of hundred you get used to it :laugh:

Ruby

I guess me referring to people as 'lurkers' isn't exactly welcoming.. Either way, it can be hard posting for the first time on a forum.

RunningAway

I suppose that the nature of the forum means that some people are too insecure to post or not able to psychologically deal with their own or others problems. I wouldn't really be able to post much about my problems here - not because there are not nice people about but because many of them are simply too painful for me to put into writing

I could you give you few reasons: spying on someone the know, coming for help and been put down or laughed at, being too weak mentally to deal with othe rpeople

Swollen

I do not post often because I feel I do not have much to contribute. If I post, I want to be helpful. It feels odd to come out and be honest in that I am not a positive, upbeat person. It feels odd for so many people to be able to read my writing here. It feels even odder that people choose to read my posts (which adds to wanting my posts to be as helpful as possible). I guess it does boil down to insecurities.

Shogun

I don't exactly know if I qualify as a "lurker," but I sure as hell don't post a lot and spend a lot of time reading. And I'll tell you why, from my own perspective only of course......

I am so rock bottom with depression that I have hardly any enthusiasm to even type (I'm only typing now because I'm really pushing myself.) I just can't be bothered around 99% of the time. I cannot even help myself, so how am I gonna help others?? I pride myself on not becoming a hypocrite.

Now, I read because I want to see if many people suffer with the same kinda problems as I do. I'm usually left disappointed, because while a lot of people moan about their respective family members "not caring about them," all of my family are either dead or insane. Personally I would give anything for a few of my family members to be alive to "not care about me," but that's just my thoughts and I'm not dismissing anyone elses problems by any means.

But that's my own perspective, inside the mind of a semi-lurker. I hope that maybe injected some insight for you.

EDIT: My post count has now reached my age, how cool....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I find it more difficult to post now. When I joined I used to write a post and then delete it 5 minutes later, it kind of helped writing stuff down, even though I thought it was better if people didn't read it.

Now I just edit my posts and they end up as:

- Post Deleted -
Ignore me I'm an idiot.

and you think I'd be better off not posting in the first place.

Nessarose

I lurk on other forums a lot, but here, I'm either desperate to help others or desperate to seek help. So I don't really lurk here. I can see why people woul;d though. It can be uncomfortable to open up. It makes me happy when lurkers post. Post, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00