Making a Choice

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Forgotten_Man, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

You know, just when things are looking up. Something has to happen to mess with my head. Maybe it is because I overthink. I do not know. I know that there are people who would kill to have this problem. So I am sorry for posting this... however... sometimes I just need to brain dump.

Anyway, I need some... I guess philosophical advice on my job situation. You see, yesterday I was offered a job that I am very interested in. Today I had an interview with another company who I am interested. Well I asked for feedback, and apparently there is a 95% chance of me geting an offer from the company I interviewed with today... So... let me assign some names here. Offer one will be called IC and offer two will be called NA.

So I am at an impass, I need to make a choice. The problem is that the benefits from each job on a job level, that which is important to me, do not really have a clear disadvantage. Right now IC has a slight advatnage. Because it is a remote location job. That means I work from home. That is a job that I have always wanted. As where NA is an office job. That is the only thing that IC really has over NA. So I guess I will talk about the advantages of each company. I am leaving out compensation because IC wins hands down.

Anyway IC is a smaller company. Even though they are spread out across the english speaking world. Meaning they have offices in the UK, Canada and Australia. According to the HR person they only have about.. I think he said 65 people right now. IC does more consulting work. So this is an advatnage to my career because this will expose me to lots and lots different industries and technologies. As a young developer that is a very important thing. That I see as much as I can and build up a good foundation. I will get to work with a lot of different stuff and get to do a lot of interesting things. That can be a bit hecitic and annoying. However, that is better for me in the long run.

Then there is NA... which is a very VERY VERY VERY large company. The office I was in alone had over 100 people in it. So that comes at an advantage. That I will have lots of room to work and grow. Because they have such a huge company I will get to do more directed work. I will get to work within processes and I will have much more room to grow and be mentored. Not to mention I will have more job security... maybe... it is hard to say give the work I will be hired for. The people hiring me have assured me that this job is more of a long term investment for the company. So I will get to work in a pseudo startup environment. Plus I will have backing and patience to help get the best product I can out.

So looking at it again... IC has a bit more of an advantage than I thought... however.... I just do not feel it is enough to force my hand with them... I say IC has more of an advantage because I can relocate to anywhere I want as well.

Anyway, can I please get some thoughts and opinions? Like I said I do not want to make this into a compensation war. That is not important to me... well that is not what I want the deciding factor to be. That is a great way to start off with a bad impression. So please do not say anything like that. So I guess can anyone help me figure out a good way to decide? How would you weigh two choices that are really on equal footing... :(
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice FM but wanted to say well done..
    you must be very talented to be offered those jobs
    Good luck with which ever you choose :arms:
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hey, good for you! That's great news.

Maybe you could think about whether the corporate ethos of either be better/worse for you on a personal level and which job would give you a better sense of "satisfaction" at the end of the day. With either one, you seem to be in a good spot! :)
  4. Forgotten_Man

@IV2010: I guess... then again.. it is buyers market in my industry... or is it sellers.... am I... eh whatever... either way... I feel there is a bit of desperation... but thanks

@Acy: >_< I know... both seem like a good fit... that is why I am having trouble. I am leaning towards IC... because reading my email I think there is short period of time where I am a contractor at NA...hmmm
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey FM, I would vote for NA they sound like a more stable company with a long track record..IC sounds like too much of a risk..Also working from home can be boreing after awhile and you can find too many reasons not to work that day.. Your choice,, Just my opinion..
  6. Forgotten_Man

True enough Stranger1... but I just learned that NA is a contract to hire.... :/ which worries me because I could be out of work in 3 months.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.