Making decisions sucks

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ferret, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

So by now a few of you know my story, about me going back to school to become an Electrician. Now that I've been working at it for a while I'm not sure if it's really for me. I mean is interesting in some aspects, but I don't think my heart is in it. Yesterday I applied for an IT job just to see what would happen. Being out of the field for two years I thought no one would hire me because my skills were not up to date. Today I got a call from the same company I sent my resume to. I went there to have a talk with the IT manager and he's really interested in hiring me for an intermediate computer support position. Basically I would be on a higher scale than just a basic tech guy and I get to go to different businesses around the city to fix computer problems. The pay seems decent too. I have a second interview next week, but it seems very hopeful.

The problem is, I've spent a lot of money going back to school to do my electrical course, mainly because the cheaper colleges had such high waiting lists. On Monday I'm going to a new construction site, where I have to be on my feet and constantly working or I'll be laid off if I'm caught standing somewhere even for a minute. The trade is not what I thought it would be. It's mostly manual labor and my intellectual abilities aren't used very often. I'm not getting paid very well because I'm just starting out with this, but it would take me 4 years to get paid the same amount as the IT job is offering me.

I hate making decisions, something I've never been good at. Especially major ones like these. I feel like I've wasted a lot of money. I thought I'd never get anywhere in my IT career but now in finding out that there are companies out there that really want to hire me for my skills and computer abilities. Right now I'm just the grunt person doing work that seasoned electricians don't want to do. Basically "paying my dues", but I get no respect, and verbal abuse is common. I feel like I've taken a step back in life. Should I stay where I am or look into getting that other job? It's on my mind now and it's bothering me. Thanks for listening.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I say go where your heart is go to the job you initially wanted and in regards to the money you will get it back by working sooner then later right. Go to the school and get reinbursed what you can it is not too late for that. Make sure you have the IT job first though it sounds like something you would really enjoy. take care the school should reinburse you some of you tuition.

3. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

The school won't refund any of my money, I'm positive of that, and my tuition was in the thousands. Since I graduated and passed everything, there's not really any going back.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think you should take the IT job. Not only does it pay more but you can update your skills in a market that's in high demand, and will be very rewarding in the long run. It's not too uncommon for graduates to get into a different field than what they studied. And your electrician studies are not a waste of money. You'll have that as a backup and it's useful. It's good to have options. Some people have none.

Good luck! :hazel:

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

can use your electrical skills as well in IT job sometimes no education is a waste of time take the job that pays more and you enjoy in the long run you will come out ahead.

6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I would take the IT job.

If it doesn't work out, can you easily go back to the other job?

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I say take the IT job.. You can go to school to get a better education in that feild..Then you would be in a better position for promotion,..,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.