Maladaptive Daydreaming.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Anime-Zodiac, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of this? Or is even been diagnosed with this.

I've been doing a little research and I'm sure I have some levels of this.

Here's a link to a page about Maladaptive Daydreaming.

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/

Here is also a network/group if anyone wants to check out.

http://wildminds.ning.com/

2. Florence

Florence Antiquities Friend

O my god ... Never ever thought of this as a syndrome. I started daydreaming in childhood, I think as an escape from reality and it has continued in various degrees of intensity to the present day. I have whiled entire days away, been unaware of my surroundings etc. I could get places and not remember how as I would have dreamed the whole way.. I have entire story lines and I go over and over them until they are just right. I would prefer to live my fantasy but I do know te difference between it and reality.

3. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

I'm very much the dreamer and fantasist as well. At first I saw nothing wrong with having such an expansive imagination. But soon after I guess it seemed like my imagination was consuming me because I wanted it to. Depression set it, my self esteem plummeted, I didn't like myself or my life. So I dreamed anew.

4. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, had never heard of the term Maladaptive. Am too much of a dreamer and fantasizer(?) also, seems to increase every day, think I live more in those worlds than the real one.:mad:

5. UenoJuriLove

UenoJuriLove New Member

Wow, I had no idea there was a name for this. I thought it was just me that made up these elaborate story lines and tweaked them almost obsessively.

Edit: Whoa, just looked at the Wiki entry for it and found this:

"Maladaptive Daydreaming is often characterised by pacing around (often to music) whilst in a profound daydream."

I do this so often it's ridiculous. I think the music kind of helps block out reality and make the daydream stronger. I know I've been absorbed in the dreams before in normal situations too and people think I'm talking to them or talking to myself because my lips move along with whatever's going on inside my head. I don't even notice I'm doing it sometimes.

Does anybody else do this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  6. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

Thers a website group called wild minds network.
    Wich I'm a member in Its kind of embarrassing so I'm
    happy you can speak freely of it with people who also know on there.
    I wouldn't tell anyone for the life of me who didn't know what it was. Lol
    I could write a thick book with my "world" and poeple in it.
    I've started writing it in a notebook and its full allready. Hmm :/
    And anyone who's lived with me thinks I'm crazy for "talking"
    to myself. Its kind of quiet on that site. >:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  7. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

That is not a condition in the DSM-IV, so it can not be a diagnosis. But it is a symptom of several illnesses. Narcissistic PD, Schizoid PD, and maybe there's one more I'm not thinking of.

And since we're all coming together on this, I grew up using fantasy to escape reality, which was domestic violence and bullying. It stayed with me until adolescence, when it became pathological. In my school photo, I'm expressionless and look distant. Considering that I was coming into my first psychotic manic-depressive episode, it's a frightening photo to look at.

8. UenoJuriLove

UenoJuriLove New Member

I've never really tried to write down anything but I'd probably fill up a zillion notebooks lol. Writing it down to me feels like setting it in stone though; I like to change things too often.

I'm a little confused about the childhood trauma thing. I have some memories of things that I don't think were "normal" for parents to do, but I also don't think they were outright abusive, you know? I don't know if they might have triggered something like this to develop. I can't remember if I used to do daydreaming before I was 10-11 or so.

9. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I don't pace around to music but when I do listen to music, I go off into the day dream. I have been trying to address this more in the last 3-4 weeks.
    For me personally, I need to stay in reality more than I have been in the recent past.
    Before trying to address this, I would be on auto-pilot when doing things.

10. UenoJuriLove

UenoJuriLove New Member

So are you guys wanting more to try to stop doing this? Or stop doing it so often? I've never tried but I think it would be super difficult. It's like trying not to think at all; it just doesn't work very well. >.<

At the moment I think I'm still just kind of perversely exited that there are actually other people that do this and maybe there's a psychological or neurological reason behind it. Is that weird? lol XD

11. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I am so glad to see this post. I started the heavy daydreaming at a very young age. I see it as a coping mechanism for experiencing the things that happened back then. More stuff happened over the years.

I have never been able to stop it. I have been able to reduce it by thinking of it as a coping mechanism. Even though I can reduce it, it comes back full force when my depression deepens.

I'm looking forward to checking out the sites mentioned in this thread. Thanks you so much for sharing it. I knew there had to be other people struggling with this but I was too embarrassed to say anything.

The only thing I told my doctor was that I experience this but I refuse to talk about it. I hope now I can get some more relief from this.

12. Ðisturbed03

Ðisturbed03 Member

I find that the only thing to get me through most days is transporting my mind to what i now call my real life. I have many different worlds I live in.. all are in mind. My physical life is now only lived to pay the bills/ eat/ survive just enough just so i can go back into my real life.

13. angelheart

angelheart Active Member

wow, ive been doing this since I was little, I thought I just had a way overactive imagination. I listen to music and pace when I go into my world

14. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I wish I could stop doing it at all so that
    I could live in the real world and stop procrastinating my own life.
    I'm very surprised too to find out that even on here there's a great
    majority of people who do it. I never thought about that but your right.
    How does one turn off their brain? When I haven't had time to do it
    on some occasions I get so stressed out my whole day is bad.
    Its like an addiction. XD whatever helps you cope right?

15. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Oh, God...I'm f'd up in the head enough as it is without having another "disorder" to add to my bloody list lol

Besides, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to escape from reality. It keeps me sane...well, somewhat.

16. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I started this at an early age.. My teachers were always complaining to my parents that I would just stare out the window.. To this day I still blank out.. My therapist says thats no excuse.. I can't help it iff my mind just goes blank..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.