• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Male Suicide

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
I'm saying the statistics of completed suicides likely are correct, but that the statistics of uncompleted attempts are likely incorrect.

The motive to skew those numbers is in the pressure on men to not demonstrate weakness, which I hypothesize expresses itself as a much lower likelihood of reporting their unsuccessful attempts.
Your reply didn't show up the first time, just my quote. Hence the ...ok.

I agree to an extent about the uncompleted attempts but from the research I've read, to quote:

"Why do methods of suicide differ by gender? One theory is that men are more intent on dying. Whether this is true remains to be proven, but there is some evidence to back up the idea. For example, one study of 4,415 patients admitted to hospital in Oxford following an episode of self-harm found that men reported significantly higher levels of suicidal intent than women."

What do you make of that?

Gonz

sick and tired of being sick and tired
Your reply didn't show up the first time, just my quote. Hence the ...ok.

I agree to an extent about the uncompleted attempts but from the research I've read, to quote:

"Why do methods of suicide differ by gender? One theory is that men are more intent on dying. Whether this is true remains to be proven, but there is some evidence to back up the idea. For example, one study of 4,415 patients admitted to hospital in Oxford following an episode of self-harm found that men reported significantly higher levels of suicidal intent than women."

What do you make of that?
I think it may be less of a factor than reported.

Again, more speculation:

While women's greater propensity for seeking help may get them in the hospital and reporting their attempts more often, their social programming to be "nice" or non-confrontational may cause them to express themselves in a less decisive way. In addition, bias may play a factor, as it has been found that female patients are often taken less seriously in a medical setting.

Whereas men may be less likely to show up in the first place, but feel freer to speak more decisively once there.

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter

Again, more speculation:

While women's greater propensity for seeking help may get them in the hospital and reporting their attempts more often, their social programming to be "nice" or non-confrontational may cause them to express themselves in a less decisive way. In addition, bias may play a factor, as it has been found that female patients are often taken less seriously in a medical setting.

Whereas men may be less likely to show up in the first place, but feel freer to speak more decisively once there.
Edit here, just re-read - so you're saying the stats are backwards?

Legate Lanius

Try not to kill yourself 2020 challenge.
The world has steadily become more and more female, this leads to women fitting in more and men fitting in less. Women's greatest source of power (compared to men, the elderly and children) in a social system is granting or withholding access to reproduction, sex. Whilst men's corresponding power (again, in comparison to children, women and the elderly) is violence. Men and women are, of course, worth way more than reproduction and war but that's one thing that sets them apart from each other.

We outlawed one but not both, now we are starting to see the effects.

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
The world has steadily become more and more female, this leads to women fitting in more and men fitting in less. Women's greatest source of power (compared to men, the elderly and children) in a social system is granting or withholding access to reproduction, sex. Whilst men's corresponding power (again, in comparison to children, women and the elderly) is violence. Men and women are, of course, worth way more than reproduction and war but that's one thing that sets them apart from each other.

We outlawed one but not both, now we are starting to see the effects.
We live in a gynocentric world. Anyone with 10 brain cells can see that. Corporations got behind the women's movement because it would flood the labor market and bring down the price of wages. Simple as that. There is nothing controversial in saying that, it's a matter of fact. Now, if a guy looks at a woman the wrong way he can lose his career.

Legate Lanius

Try not to kill yourself 2020 challenge.
We live in a gynocentric world. Anyone with 10 brain cells can see that. Corporations got behind the women's movement because it would flood the labor market and bring down the price of wages. Simple as that. There is nothing controversial in saying that, it's a matter of fact. Now, if a guy looks at a woman the wrong way he can lose his career.
I did not expect this forum to be gigabased, but ok.

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
I am always here, but I will not get notified of your posting unless you directly involve me in the post somehow. I don't want notifications whenever someone posts in the same thread as me, so I turned it off.
yeah and I don't want you spammed.... I'm blowing you a kiss now x

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter

Again, more speculation:

I'm investigating this so I'm genuinely interested in understanding all aspects. Where do you think the stats are wrong?

Gonz

sick and tired of being sick and tired
I'm investigating this so I'm genuinely interested in understanding all aspects. Where do you think the stats are wrong?
I think men are not reporting their failed suicide attempts, which is the reason it appears that women attempt far more often.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00