• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Male Suicide

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
I think men are not reporting their failed suicide attempts, which is the reason it appears that women attempt far more often.
Yeah I'm interested in that aspect myself. But I still have to ask, how does a positive correlation there make the difference in completion rates any more assailable?

Gonz

sick and tired of being sick and tired
Yeah I'm interested in that aspect myself. But I still have to ask, how does a positive correlation there make the difference in completion rates any more assailable?
The disparity between completion rates (in percentage of attempts, rather than raw numbers) is IMO too great to be explained otherwise.

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
If anyone cares enough to ask for it I'll find and cite the study for you, but right now that feels like a pain in the ass.

Point is, it found that men and women successfully committed suicide by overdose in the same numbers.
Hey Gonz, I know it is a pain in the ass but when you get a chance can you dig out the study you refer to here? No pressure of course but I'd be interested to read it myself & so far I haven't found anything substantial to support this angle. Granted, I need to spend a lot more time searching around and be more creative with my search terms but also, when multiple variables are being used in any analysis, the number of cases with at least one variable with missing data has the potential to increase.

Gonz

sick and tired of being sick and tired
Hey Gonz, I know it is a pain in the ass but when you get a chance can you dig out the study you refer to here? No pressure of course but I'd be interested to read it myself & so far I haven't found anything substantial to support this angle. Granted, I need to spend a lot more time searching around and be more creative with my search terms but also, when multiple variables are being used in any analysis, the number of cases with at least one variable with missing data has the potential to increase.
Having found and reread it (it was a while ago that I originally found it), their conclusions are the same as yours, so feel free to disregard what I've said (though I still suspect it is a factor, if not as large a one as I was thinking).

Anyway, here it is if you want to check for yourself: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0129062

Having scanned a whole bunch of studies while trying to find the one I half-remembered, I have to agree that most came to the same conclusion that you are pointing out.

Dark111

Scholar's Mate
SF Supporter
Having found and reread it (it was a while ago that I originally found it), their conclusions are the same as yours, so feel free to disregard what I've said (though I still suspect it is a factor, if not as large a one as I was thinking).

Anyway, here it is if you want to check for yourself: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0129062

Having scanned a whole bunch of studies while trying to find the one I half-remembered, I have to agree that most came to the same conclusion that you are pointing out.
Thanks Gonz, much appreciated.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00