Man leaves 1,904 page online "suicide note" *WARNING TRIGGERING*

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

*WARNING TRIGGERING*
    *WARNING TRIGGERING*
    *WARNING TRIGGERING*

You have been warned! Highlight below to see full story.
    *On a side note, that's not a suicide note. More like five dissertations.*

The man who took his own life on Harvard's campus Saturday left a 1,904-page suicide note online.

According to the Harvard Crimson, Mitchell Heisman wrote "Suicide Note," while living in an apartment near the school. The note is a "sprawling series of arguments that touch upon historical, religious and nihilist themes," his mother, Lonni Heisman, told the Crimson. She said her son would have wanted people to know about his work.

The complex note, divided into four parts, touches on Christianity, the Holocaust and social progress, among other topics, and mentions Harvard several times.

IvyGate calls the note "probing, deeply researched, and often humorous."

Heisman was 35 when he took his own life on the steps of Harvard's Memorial Church Saturday. He had a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Albany. According to the Crimson, he worked in area bookstores and lived on inheritance from his father, who died when he was young.

In the note Heisman wrote that he took his life as part of a philosophical exploration he called "an experiment in nihilism."
    The lengthy document included 1,433 footnotes, a 20-page bibliography, over 1,700 references to God and 200 references to the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Heisman wrote, "Every word, every thought and every emotion come back to one core problem: life is meaningless... The experiment in nihilism is to seek out and expose every illusion and every myth, wherever it may lead, no matter what, even if it kills us."

"If life is truly meaningless and there is no rational basis for choosing among fundamental alternatives, then all choices are equal and there is no fundamental ground for choosing life over death," he wrote.

So my question is, Was this an act of desperation, seeking the solace of the church? . . . Was this a statement against religion?

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Where's the link BOO? ya didn't put it in :sad: will search!

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I didn't want to put the link, because it might be really triggering. But here it is. >>> Warning trigger <<<

He seems rather intelligent and very good looking. Not the typical type of someone who would do such a thing. :(

He reminds me of myself, but more intelligent. This is what happens when you dwell on anything and everything too much. The more you do it, the more you start seeing how insignificant everything is, which is ultimately the reality of things, from a universal perspective. I've been doing this for almost half my life, it dominates my life and affects me in many ways. I've contemplated suicide many times, and still do. It's nothing but a downward spiral.

Human life seems to be one giant exercise in distraction, society reflects that. The more you think about life itself and the reality of things, and have enough intelligence to fuel the fire, and nothing to lean on, the harder it becomes.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Suicide doesn't differentiate based on intellect or appearance.

5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It's such a shame losing someone that could compose such a piece of literature :eek:hmy:.

'The more you think about life itself and the reality of things, and have enough intelligence to fuel the fire, and nothing to lean on, the harder it becomes.' (Quote boo, lol :tongue:), that's half my problem, when you start looking into things you end up forming opinions or discovering shit probly best left un-discovered. Sometimes life itself should just be taken as it is, and not questioned. But that's HARD to do :laugh:.

I wonder what he found on the other side?....:unsure:

6. 41021

41021 Banned Member

I wonder too. I suspect not much of anything.

couple of people i've lost, promised if there were a way, they would find it, and let me know. I'm still waiting...but only until the first, if i can keep sedate that long.

Sadly, i know several people much like this person...i hope they dont read it...it would be all they need :sad: they too would ditch me...i'm up on this now, i'm doing the ditching first damnit.

7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

8. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

Hmm, fascinating. The nihilist experiment...

9. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

Hmmm... This is relevant to my interests.

10. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

***I want to warn anyone reading this response that it is very triggering and most will probably want to avoid it****

I agree with him. While I cannot say that I read everything he wrote I believe humanity is heading toward a nihilistic reality that everything is without meaning.

A thousand years ago religion coated mankind with such dogma that the idea that no god existed didn't even enter the minds of the majority of people, let alone come out in any kind of literal way. Today technology is like acid to religion eroding it away and revealing the true nature of the world.

More and more I notice people like myself existing in this world. People who no matter what they try to do, cannot find meaning in anything. The end result of everything we do as human beings is pointless.

The idea that there is something outside of actions and reactions, cause and effect, something that swallows it all up into a void of total and complete meaninglessness is almost incomprehensible to the average person. Slowly but surely though all of humanity is shifting in that direction and while there will be those who are pulled forward kicking and screaming the reality of life is becoming more and more clearly defined as we progress as a species.

The idea of Uberman which Nietzsche talked about as the defining moment of humanity is never going to happen. Mankind cannot make our own meaning. There will never be an Uberman and once all religion dies out humanity will mass suicide. Some of us have already made the transformation. The only thing holding me in my life right now is the pain I know it will cause others if I die. But I also know that the pain I cause others by dying is meaningless in the end... It is simply a matter of getting over my programmed evolution which wants me to survive and doing what the logical intelligence that evolution has given me tells me to do.

When it comes to human beings evolution has overstepped its bounds. Evolution created a being that is capable of understanding there is no point to existence which places an inherent paradox in the creature known as man. As we all know the goal of evolution is to preserve a species and to make them better. Evolution made man so great that man was able to question existence. This directly led to the futile attempt to create religion to calm the part of mankind's brain that began to counter the basic evolutionary commandment of "survival of the fittest".

Now mankind faces the problem of being the greatest evolutionary achievement. We are so great that we are able to contemplate beyond what evolution intended. Evolution wants to preserve us, make us grow and survive, but our evolutionary intelligence and the technology we created from that intelligence is driving us toward the conclusion that we have no purpose here. The inherent conflict is going to break toward nihilism in the near future as we cannot devolve back into non thinking beings. It is only a matter of time before all of humanity comes to the same conclusion.

That man was correct. Life is utterly meaningless. Whatever meaning one gives to anything will be completely erased from existence upon death. When one is dead one cannot know that one ever existed, the result is when all die, none will have ever known of existence meaning nothing done will have ever mattered.

11. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

Despite what he thought and wrote everything is going according to a predetermined plan.....everything.

12. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think he was depressed because life isn't meaningless, you make it meaningless...there are things that I experienced in my life that made me happy and I cherish them with all my life.....we have to make the best of life...life isn't in control of your life, you are...if you choose to do nothing then you live with the consequences of your choice...

13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

When living under a system called Society, no one is trully master of their own fate. You’re not in control, but your desperate efforts to keep control actually does alter the way existence moves for you.

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Member

I wish it was published as an actual book. I hate reading books on the computer, especially one this long. It's quite a strain on the eyes.

15. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I will post my comments piece by piece as the system cannot handle the volume of my material as to what I would like to write about this.

It will be in about 3 parts, the first of which is as follows:

I) Mr. Heisman's personal life and motives...

As we do not yet know enough about Mr. Heisman (at least none that I have yet to find), he may have had physical, physiological or psychological issues which caused him to take his own life after completing this masterwork.

If so, then there may be a very simple take on it...that being, he knew that he was going to die within a rather short period of time and that fact was the impetus for his work. He did not want to suffer any longer and took his own life because of the aforementioned possiblity. Again, simply my opinion...

OR, he may have been a narcissit, who spent a dozen (or perhaps at least several) years on this work (it doesn't matter), and then took his own life, thereby achieving immortality, as the work is likely to garner alot of attention because he killed himself and because of his intellect in constructin such a masterwork (again, IMO). He proved, in an egotistical manner via his suicide, that some of his themes are true, Q.E.D. ...a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Part II (on the possible fallacious assumptions of Socrates and Plato) to follow shortly!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
  16. shades

shades Staff Alumni

You may or may not be correct...but if you are, then why do you waste your time writing on this forum? If you decide instead to take a nice walk in a park instead of posting here, yes, I guess you would still think that it's predetermined, but why stare at a computer screen when you could be looking at some of natures wonders?

17. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

you're in control of what you do with it...whatever is thrown at you, you are in control of what to do about it...there's always choices to make...not always good ones but there are there....we like the idea that life is in control, because then we have someone to blame, "Not my fault, it was life" you had a choice to deal with what's been sent to you and that's your power...

18. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Part II:

This is the quotation at the beginning of Mr. Heisman's treatise:

"Ordinary people seem not to realize that those who really apply themselves in the right way to philosophy are directly and of their own accord preparing themselves for dying and death. If this is true, and they have actually been looking forward to death all their lives, it would of course be absurd to be troubled when the thing comes for which they have so long been preparing and looking forward to."

**Attribuued to Socrates, but written by Plato who was one of Socrates; pupils in his work 'Phaedo' and the death of Socrates. Evidently Socrates did not write down most of his thoughts (see wiki link on Socrates).

First, what is meant by the term "ordinary people"? Does he (evidently Plato or Socrates) mean people that have not delved deeply into philosophical thought up to that point in time? If so, this comment is egocentric and doesn't take into account all of the philosophers who might follow, such as Descartes, Sarte, Hobbes, Nietzshce, Camus (philosopher and novelist) and Hesse (philospher and novelist).

Next: "those who really apply themselves in the right way to philosophy"...
    Again, this is quite egocentric and narcissistic, implying that there is a RIGHT WAY to apply oneself. So who determines what is the "right way"? Plato and Socrates? piffle...and bullshit!!!

Then, assuming that their way is the only "right way" he continues: "are directly and of their own accord preparing themselves for dying and death":
    Of the philosophers mentioned above, Nietazche and Camus would most likely agree with the quotation, but I am not sure about the others. Regardless, I am sure that not every contemporary philosopher would agree with the statement.

Only one statement IMO is true! If one has "actually been looking forward to death all their lives, it would of course be absurd to be troubled when the thing comes for which they have so long been preparing and looking forward"

Now, how many of the philosophers committed suicide, as Heisman did?

Socrates was put on trial (see wiki link) and supposedly wanted to take his own life so he deliberately antagonized those in power. But he did not take his life of his own accord beforehand. So it appears that Socrates did not necessarily take his own life deliberately.

Plato it appears, lived well into his 60's if I calculated correctly and I cannot find out about his death as yet but it doesn't appear that he committed suicide.

Descartes may have died of natural causes or he may have been poisoned (wiki link available).

ALL I AM SAYING HERE IS THAT Mr. Heisman is using one quotation from one philosopher to state that he was ready for death, but if he was a true student of philosophy he would have seen that many of those I mentioned did not commit suicide!

Then, Mr Heisman leaves this complex and intellectual treatise/encyclopedia, to his friends and family so that they may delve into his thoughts and try to figure out why he killed himself. Again, the man was a narcissist of very CONFUSED, to say the least...in my humble opinion.

I'm too tired to continue this train of thought into part III as I had intended, so unless anybody wants to discuss this further, I am finished :yay: :stars:

ONE MORE ITEM: Again, I do not feel that anything about Mr. Heisman's death of his treatise is "triggering"! He was probably bipolar IMO and either didn't get the help he needed or went off his meds. Can't wait to find out more about his personal life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.