Man tries to save woman. He dies, she lives.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by 3.141592654, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3.141592654

3.141592654 Well-Known Member

Today a man saw a woman trying to kill herself by throwing herself in front of a train He tried to save her and in doing so they both got hit by the train, but only he died while she is heavily injured (the press release did not specify her condition further).

What the fuck is going on? I can sort of understand societies knee-jerk reaction in trying to stop people killing themselves, but putting your own live at risk in doing so?! I mean, what did he really save; if she wanted to kill herself before being responsible for a death, imagine how she feels now. It doesn't take a psychic to know she is gonna kill herself as soon as she is able.

I don't really know where I am going with this, just don't kill yourself trying to save some suicidal person I guess.

2. 3.141592654

3.141592654 Well-Known Member

3. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Those are the actions of a brave and compassionate man...sometimes as humans - we just do things - if we did everything by the numbers and probabilities, we wouldn't be human.

4. BandAid

BandAid Member

Well, trying to help a suicidal person isn't anything different than helping someone else who is in need of being saved. IMO, he was acting on someone who was unable to make a decision herself. She wasn't healthy enought to truly think for herself, so that does not make it any different from saving someone in need. He did not die in vain, as she has a chance to right things.

In fact, I envy him a bit. I am a medic in the Army and one of my most painful memories is not being able to save someone, who could have been saved. While they have passed, I live on. I can feel my wife's touch. My kids grow in front of me. I complain about the gas prices. Sure hundreds, if not thousands of "what if's", but...............well you get the point.

5. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

this actually makes me think of an old article i read probably earlier this year.. it was posted on my jobs webpage.. a guy who works for the same place as me did the exact thing... jumped in front of a train trying to save a young girl who was trying to kill herself, they both survived and neither was hurt.. she ended up in a psych ward and he was labelled a hero and it actually made me wander... why save her if she was that determined to die.. why risk his life to save this girl..

But then i thought, what if it was you. you walk down the street to work, the usual past the train tracks and a girls standing there with a train not even a minute away.. id probably do the same thing.. because honestly, i dont think i could stand living if i stood by and let someone get hurt.. i think thats what this man did, he would probably be in unbearable pain if he stood by and did nothing, who knows that sort of trauma can in fact cause someone to become suicidal themselves...

in my opinion, a very brave act on his behalf, and an extremely unfortunate event for both parties.. just shows that people out there do care, enough to put there own life at risk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.