Manic Depression/Bi polar

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by *dilligaf*, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Does anyone know anything about manic depression?

I can't remember the last time I felt "normal" by that I mean calm and stuff.

At the moment I am going from hyper (ie, singing, dancing, laughing hyperly (as people in chat will confirm)) to depressed (ie, wanting to cut, nearly in tears, practically not talking for ages and thinking about death) at least once a day...most days more than that.

Just wondered what people thought? :unsure:

2. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I've rapid cycled like that once before. Each day is a struggle, even if you're feeling good, because you never know when you're going to suddenly slide back down.

3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Ah, rapid cycling..If you think you have bipolar, go see a psychiatrist, or your doctor, or someone. :hug:

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Whats the difference beetween Manic depression and bipolar disorder?

5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Thanks peeps ill go to the doctor when I go home next :hug:

6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

It's the same thing, just different names.

7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I'm quite lucky as my body tires itself out physically so that limits how much I do when I'm all over the place. I've recently been going up (not too up though, I've been way higher than this in the past for months without stopping) and back to sleep, up and then sleep. I'm a lot calmer now and I'm glad. My therapist and I are working on this though- the one thing that I don't want is to end up in a psychiatric ward again so I do my best to channel my energy into something that won't land me in a difficult situation with hospitals or people in authority making me feel scared and angry....

8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

thanks for explanation:)

9. Sylvester

Sylvester Member

Re: Manic Depression/Bi polar: it is and it is not...

Manic Depression = Bipolar.
    What differs is the breakdown of Bipolar Illness, as described for USA residents in the DSM-IV-tr.
    Bipolar I, II, and the more disputed "cyclothymia" (rapid cycling)

It is really important to know that the definitions to these diagnoses, the "criteria" were created by a qualified board of psychiatrists, in the interest of coming up with a way to put Bipolar into a sort of box.
    The numbers in the text book are largely there to aid in billing; for insurance reasons.

The DSM will be modified in 2012, and Bipolar will be re-defined. So, it is up to you to help a psychologist, or psych MD come up with the right diagnosis.
    Largely, those that treat you are going on what you tell them. What you choose not to tell them may have you on a wild goose chase.

The REAL bipolar is easy to see. Bipolar I.
    You must have hallucinations, either heard or seen. If you don't, you are going to be called Bipolar II, or something else.

The other important thing that bipolar folk have is a really messy life history. So it is hard to diagnose it when a person is young, and life is messy anyway. It comes into focus more by age 30 if it is not clear-cut.

Bipolar people are extremely disruptive, but they don't mean to be. The mania is the hallmark of the disease. Depression is the other pole, and some BP people stay there for long periods - months, even years.

If you are cylcing very fast, and you are not hallucinating, and you are not taking tap dance lessons one week, and thinking you are Savion Glover the next (grandiose thinking), you may be one of those hard-to-pin down cases.
    The litmus test for Bipolar Illness is often the treatment; but it is not fool-proof. If Lithium Carbonate restores you to a place you may never have been, in the middle, you can say with confidence that you are Bipolar.
    Or, the other popular medications - mostly not specifically for BP disorder, but they help with symptoms. Especially Depakote, Tegretol, and other anti-seizure medications. If these really help, you can count yourself lucky.

When you are a treatment failure, like I was, the entire diagnosis becomes a real pain. Some doctors (in hospitals) would try any number of anti-psychotic meds, which usually don't quite hit the spot.
    If you are a rapid-cylcer (very, very, moody), and show anger, or a lack of co-operation in a hospital you will, these days, very likely get pinned with Borderline Personality Disorder.
    You can keep being Bipolar, since that is a Mood Disorder.
    Axis I = Bipolar
    Axis II = Borderline

I ended up with this, but even that is not "me." If you have suicide attempts, or ideations under your belt, the psychiatric community tends to herd you into the Borderline camp.
    Since it is a "personality disorder" (that is being challenged, by the way), it is not supposed to require medication. But it always ends up being medicated. Usually very much like Bipolar folk: a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant.
    Or several.

Please be careful! Don't let doctors talk you into a diagnosis that you know nothing about. If you are outside directing traffic, okay. You might be Bipolar, you might be Schizophrenic (they are similar, like cousins). These illnesses are so apparent that you don't have to ask anyone.

The lighter psychiatric illnesses are troublesome. Being told you are "this or that" can encourage certain behaviours. If you read what Borderline Personality Disorder uses for criteria, most people here will fit in to some degree.

Is it enough to treat? Well, that is up to you and your psychiatrist to figure out. If the pills do not help, why take them?

I have been on units that were 100% Borderline: two of them, actually. I felt out-of-place, but everyone did. I resented the dx. It is very, very subjective. It was based on my suicidal history.
    (and there is a lack of understanding out there for the motives behind suicidal ideation)

Schizophrenics also have suicidality in their dx, but other symptoms are so profound that suicide is not usually top of the list.
    "Schizo-affective" is not the same thing, by the way. I have seen that put on very young people who are just having a hard time (sexual identity questions can give you that label, by a bad psychiatrist).

Most people who are here can Google their questions, and read all night.
    Bipolar people often have no trouble staying up all night, when hypo-manic (just under mania) or in full mania.

Be sure to read about Clinical Depression, too. That's a moody place to be, and it is easier to see. Still, it can be hard to treat.

Lastly, if there is any substance use: alcohol or any kind of drug, legal or not, then you will have trouble figuring it out. What was first, the drug/alcohol or the illness?

I was fortunate, to have a long life sober (which eventually was messed up) to use as a reference point.
    I know what is wrong with me, it just doesn't have a good name. I know which medications help, and my psychiatrist is a partner. She teaches me things that I did not pick up like the "normal" person.
    It is dreadful to have a diagnosis. I would do anything to try to avoid that stigma again, if I could. Once you are tagged, you are never seen the same way, again.

Good luck in your self-discovery. Be generous to yourself, if possible. Humans, all of us, are subject to gigantic mood swings. That's life!

peace from Sylvester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.