Man's Suicide broadcasted on TV

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by hammockmonkey, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

2. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I guess in some respects this could be a good thing. dispel the stigma of suicide and all. i don't know :?

3. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

How can the State take control over the death of it´s citizens? If people feel they do not want to live anymore they should have the right to end their life peacefully with their loved-ones besides them. I feel it´s horrible that people are beeing forced to travel to a different country, where they don´t understand the language and may also feel a burden to their own family who afterall need to organize the tickets and everything else. I live in Switzerland where it is legal but would hate to imagine that I would need to go to a different country where I couldn´t speak the language to end my life in case of a disease. Death is supposed to be peaceful but how can it be peaceful if you are 1000´s of miles away from "home"?

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I watched the programme here.

5. downmage

downmage Well-Known Member

They should show it here in the States..

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I don't think it should be shown at all. There is no reason to glorify death. It should be something that is personal and private with your family and close friends.

7. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

Wish I could afford to go to switzerland. This is the kind of services i need. I hate to see others die but i would like to use the clinic myself, though theres no way i could have loved ones by my side they would never stand for it, they just wouldn't understand. I deserve relief from this life of despair, a society that won't accept me that I can't fit into should have the dignity to let me leave it peacefully.

8. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

I posted a message on Daily Mail Signed as DrowningInTears. I wonder if they will approve the comment. I said how i want to die and I wish I was brave like Craig and stuff. And how it would be nice to have assistance.

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

It's just not your time to go yet DIT. You're still young and have your whole life ahead of you. :hug:

10. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i think that suicide should not be a tattoo subject, i agree that ones death is personal and should not be shared. but i hope this would serve a greater good. suicide should not be pushed aside, it should be fine to talk about and feel, then perhaps people would not have so many quams about seeking help over it, and also "proffesionals" wouldnt be so ignorant about it either.. :dry:

11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I agree that if the subject were not so taboo, more people may seek help. Regardless of that, I don't feel it should be televised.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think the only way for suicide to not be such a taboo subject is for it to be televised. Maybe the actual event shouldn't be shown on tv, but it should be reported on the news. I honestly would like to know if someone jumped in front of the subway train.

13. wheresmysheep

agreed. and allso in regards to this particular person; if he was happy with allowing his final moments broadcast then i feel we should all agree with it, as it was HIS choice. same with if someone decides to end their life by jumpin infront of a train, or off a building, thats public. So each to their own, just like its each to their own when it comes to actual suicide. alot of peole cannot fathom it at all..

14. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

this has been in the news for ages, this man was dying a slow and painful death and it showed amazing love, compassion and bravery for him and his wife to go thru this and then have it televised ( rightly or wrongly ), the same with the 19 yr old who broke his neck playing rugby, he tried to live a life being totally paralised but couldn't, he asked his parents to help him die and they did, can you imagine being in their shoes?????

15. wheresmysheep

if a loved one asked me to help them i would. i cpuld not watch them suffer and i would expect them to do the same for me.

16. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

...the State has ALWAYS assumed ownership of its' respective citizens lives. (eg military drafts, drug/substance regulations, involuntary psychiatric commitment, birth control/abortion, public health and education, etc etc etc)

17. music_junkie

...they don't televise suicides because of the "copy-cat" effect that occurs after suicides are successful. It's written into some State laws, and others its just an unwritten rule.

The media will not cover suicide unless it is of a famous person who they can't avoid discussing the subject. It's not a taboo - it's a public safety concern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide

18. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I guess you're right. I wouldn't want people to commit suicide, because they saw someone else do it on tv. I guess I just like to be informed and if someone jumped off a building, I would like to be informed about it.

19. music_junkie

Trust the statistics - or join your local FD as a volunteer. Then you'll be "in the loop."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.