Map of the world - suicide ratings by country

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Summer.Rain, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Just and intersting thing i found in wikipedia
    Press Here

Looks like Europe, Russia, and Australia have the highest ratings
    the rating are *** out of 100,000, for example, Russia is >13 which means that
    more the 13 people commiting suicide on every 100,000 people.

What is REALLY intersting is the fact that poor countris such as south America
    and the muslim countrys have the lowes suicide ratings.
    I think there is much we can learn from this map!

Why do guys think that in "developed" countryes the suicide ratings are higher?
    I alwayes though that capitalism is one of the resons.
    Capitalism force people to rush for the gold pot which results
    in many people who are unable to keep up with others who are luckyer or just had a better start.
    While in our jobs we suffer from dictatorship, where our boss telling us what to do, forcing us if needed and usally there is no reward.
    And ofcourse the fact that our lives are actualy depand on our boss moods..
    And the low paycheck in the end of the month which results in stress becouse usally we dont like the numbers.

What do you guys think after looking on this map?

By the way the map was taken from WIKI - Suicide article

2. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

Maybe its also because at the end of the day, all the shit in the developed places of the world doesnt matter if you dont have any love around you... and in the poorer places people grow up with totally different values :dunno:

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

It is interesting. I wonder when this was conducted as I have seen other maps with different results. There are many assumptions and speculations that can be made. I wonder if a study has been done as to the reasons.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think it definitely has to do with values.
    We place more value on material posessions. Having money, cars, whatever it may be. And I don't think that you are likely to find true happiness with your value places in those kind of things.

Here's one for the states
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Suicide_by_region,_white_men.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  5. Summer.Rain

Looks like east USA have the hightest Suicide rates of people aged 10 to 20
    I wounder what it means...
    I think maybe it just proove that capitalism kills!
    Younger people see the world around them, and thay see its all about money
    thay see every day how hard thair parents work, and with time thay
    undarstand things, after a while thay are force to take part of the life out there
    naturaly it results in death, i totaly can undarstand such thing

One day, comumunisem will take controll of the word
    and it will be the right thing to do!
    I am too see myself as communist, not becouse i live near russia
    but becouse communists are all equal! all the people are the same!
    and the govermet gives great care to this people becouse
    in communisim the people ARE EVERYTHING.

And no... im not talking about the stalinsim (sommunisem under stalin)
    becouse it was not a real true communisem..
    lol i sound wierd...
    anyways you got my point...

6. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

The most developed countries are also the most sadistic. It's a system of endless systems! People who can't keep up often experience guilt, and can feel useless because they're stripped of self respect e.g claiming benefits (and be GRATEFUL for the hand-outs). Society generally looks down its nose at those who can't contribute because they're (apparently) useless eaters. It's a 'dog eat dog' world.
    Don't blame yourself. Set that bag of bricks down, and leave it. The system is sick, not you or me.

7. thebrain

thebrain Well-Known Member

Have you read "The Savage God" by A. Alvarez? He has a chapter on that, with an interesting theory. Check it out.

But as far as Muslim countries (if we're talking about countries with a high devout Islamic population), I'd say it probably has a lot to do with religious beliefs. The Qu'ran is actually the only religious text to have a clearly written prohibition on suicide. Or so I've read.

Also, it should be noted that some countries, such as Egypt, notoriously under-report their suicide numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

interesting map. what stood out for me are the stats for young men in ireland --16.3 per 100,000. i'd say the huge changes this country has seen in the last 30 years contribute to this. roles are changing for men and women, house prices are astronomically high, there is a high level of alcoholism and alot of drug use. challenging times, indeed.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think you read the map of the states wrong summer rain. The east coast has lower incidences of suicide than the rural areas. The numbers are not ages, but numbers of suicides per 100,000 people. The east coast for the most part only has 10 to 20 whereas the sections in red are 30 40.

10. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Yes, like reporting bias. Some places are much more likely to cover up suicides. I'd expect similar problems in comparing numbers of rapes around the world.

Now you're just being stupid. Why would capitalism cause China, Cuba, and most of formerly Soviet Central Asia (Kazakhstan et al) to have very high suicide rates? These are the least free, most Communist places on Earth for which the map offers data. Why would capitalist pressures cause the French and Swedes to kill themselves more often than Britons or Americans? If anything, capitalism, and the freedom that comes with it, seems to protect people from suicide.

11. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Mmm, my country is coloured bright red. It doesn't surprise me.

Latin America seems to be at the low end of the scale, perhaps its the family-oriented culture, rather than the individualistic, stand-on-your-own mindset of the West.

Although I wouldn't necessarily trust the stats, Third World countries probably underreport suicides. Western statiticians are much more diligent.

12. Summer.Rain

Well, first of all, do you really know what Capitalism is? i mean REALLY?
    I can tell you, becouse i used to work in few corporations...

Capitalisem is all about people make thair own capitals (companys)
    But there is one huge problem with it, most of the poeple in our world..
    cant make thair own business! this results in them beeing forced to work
    for a large corporations, and just in case you didnt know, corporations
    are a form of Dectatorship, where you boss having a total controll over
    you quality of life, and fate! Think about it, one day you will have diploma
    and you will find a nice place in a good office and you will work for a big and rich corporation.
    Then you will have kids,all is good... but then you said something or did
    something that your boss didnt liked (maybe you threaten his possition as a manager)
    so he conntact the corporation owners, telling them about you beeing a shity worker, and what then? you looose everything!!!!

You loosed your income, you job, with negative recomindations...
    and you have a wife and a few kids to take care off...
    Anyways... you see my point?

In Capitalisem we trust owr lifes in the hands of our bosses!
    Unless, as i said before, we start with an advatage (money or connections)
    but not everyone lucky, and the unlucky once, are fucked!

13. tired82

tired82 Well-Known Member

If one were to look at the world suicide map, and study of level of happiness in countries, one would see an inverse relationship. Countries where people feel happy would have a low suicide rate, and vice versa.

I wouldn't conclude that capitalism is a cause of higher suicide rates. Rather I see that people in capitalistic countries have different life experiences than non-captialistic or oppressive countries like China. Amibiton & greed for material things & money are as destructive as oppression.

It's often said here on the forums that suicide is a selfish act. Would it be a surprise that populations be considered selfish would contemplate suicide without consideration of others? Perhaps the family & social bonds is a stronger factor in suicide rates. In less-developed countries where family may be all you got, it might be more incentive to be well & contribute to the family in the most difficult of times.

I would never know what living in an oppressed country would be like, but I am sure I'd react in the same manner to difficult life events.

14. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I think its due to the fact that most African and latin American cultures stick to a sort of family mentality like what was said before. To be someones friends means to be like a brother for life, not just an aquaintance that you only hang out with because you dont want to be alone which is much the case in our societies.

Also a big problem is the elitist style of thinking that is still rampant in Britain, other parts of Europe and America. We like to think we live in a good society but there is still a massive divide in rich and poor.

The rich kids go to fancy private schools and are encouraged to become great scientists and politicians. The kids who have the unfortune of having little money go to bad schools in bad neighborhoods and are told the only future they have is to become a mechanic or construction site worker. When i was kicked out of school I was given 0 help to go onto college or whatever, if i wasnt going to be a grade A student they couldnt give a crap and swept me into the gutter and figurativley handed me a bottle of cider. I would see all my old friends having the time of their lives enjoying their teenage years like I should have been too. They distanced themselves from me because why would you want to hang out with a loser :blink:

This eventually led me to my first attempt, but luckily I pulled through and ive been able to get through it. To this day ive always wished the school had given me more support rather than just discard me like a rotten apple. And im sure this is the same story for a lot of kids. When i left school a quarter of my fellow pupils were kick out along with me, with no direction other than to dead-end jobs and drugs.

If we want to cut down the suicide ratings we must form an EQUAL society with EQUAL opurtunities for ALL children, not just the rich and famous.

15. Summer.Rain

Thats is why i like Communisem so much...
    And i totaly can undarstand why USA hates communists...
    with communisem every one are equal... in such case, the rich fat bustards
    will be forced to live equaly with everybody ales!
    Now tell me... will Bill Gates support Communisem or Capitalisem?
    He and all his ass kissers will support Capitalisem ofcourse...
    While no one will support Communisem becouse everyone think its a bad thing...
    (media Propoganda anyone?)

16. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

no no no.

i lived under a pseudo communist type of govt and i can tell you its a horrible thing. No country which has practiced any form of communism/leftist policies has ever succeded. Look how many people died in Russia. It was horrible. I think communism is failed ideology and it has been proven. And please do not give example of china because they are hardly communist.

17. OutCaste

communism is actually the real capitalism. the condition in russia is prime eg. look at the disparity between rich and power.

18. OutCaste

No, I live in a country which has a family oriented/collectivist(as opposed to individualistic) culture and I can tell you its a lot worse. I'm suicidal because I'm an outcaste and I'm not like the rest. IF you don't go with the mainstream, you don't deserve to live ..that's the philosphy here. Nobody appreciates individuality. They are all like robots bound by some bullshit and repulsive traditions. West and East both have their advantages and disadvantages. A middle approach is the best.

19. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

What about Cuba? They are the only true communist country left in the world and they are doing pretty well compared to the rest of the world. They may not have mobile phones or cable TV but ask yourself, is that stuff really important? They have the highest graduation rate in the world, and their medical and hospital services are second to none (and the treatment is for everyone, not just the people that can afford it like its "land of the free" neighbour.)

20. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's great, as long as you don't feel like taking part in an actual election. Bear in mind that old Adolph built the autobahns, got the trains running on time, and encouraged people to bear children and practice vegetarianism. Freedom is beyond price, and tyranny is always evil.

And, to bring things back to the original post, if Cuba is so great, why is its suicide rate so much higher than that of the nasty old USA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.