Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by turryburry, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

After having a psychotic break I have found that pot fills up all the holes in my head caused by the break. But then I failed a few blood tests and now have to quit smoking if I want to keep my arthritis meds. I had to chose between physical and mental health.

It's going to be sooo much fun.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have physical illness and mental illness, having to choose one over the other must be hard. I would definitely stop the weed though if I were you. Just FYI, we cannot encourage drug use here but we can talk about how we are dealing with it etc..

I hope you are able to quit it for good and not let it take over your life. Best of luck to you :)
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I get meds from a pain management dr - if i were to fail a single unrinalysis test then i would lose the meds. It is not even the dr that are the issue b ut that is how they keep there license when prescribing so may pain meds- by showing they are not being abused and are prescribing ethically as opposed to drug addicts. To be honest, I envy your physical issues if there is even a question about which are more tolerable. So far as choosing - since many mental problems are made worse by habitual marijuana use - especially anxiety, paranoia, and motivation issues , and there is a large link between marijuana use and long term depression I am unsure what the real question is. Add to i t the fact one makes getting employment very difficult and getting arrested very easy, seems like a simple call. If it is that difficult to decide then the sunstance abuse category is in fact the correct place for this and that alone should be able to make deciding quite easy.
  4. turryburry

Is it because I was born in Buffalo? :doh:

I was thinking JumpMaster because of Jump school at Ft. Benning. (I think that's where it was)

You just come across as condescending towards me. Maybe it's a New York thing or maybe it's because I'm probably older than you--even if I don't sound like it here. (Childless people get to have a different rate of maturity I guess)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Not condescending - just stating my thoughts on it. And age and maturity are very different topics.
  6. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Be safe and keep posting here for the help you require.
  7. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I am going to take a wild guess here that your arthritis meds are opiates? If so, then let me ask you a question. Are you smoking weed because the meds arent fully working for your physical pain from the arthritis, or solely because of your mental health issues? If its the latter, then there are alternative things you could try besides weed. If its the former, then have you tried talking to your doctor about adjusting your dose or maybe changing the meds? Im sure you know that opiates are addictive. So, if youve been on them for a while, youve probably built a tolerance. So, it wouldnt be surprising to me if they arent working anymore for your physical pain. The bad news is, your doctor could either give you something stronger, or a higher milligram dosage, but even then the same thing is going to happen eventually. Its very rare that people in chronic pain who are taking opiates are able to stay on the same medication/dosage for a long time and still have it work for them. Thats why a lot of people who take prescription opiates end up becoming addicts. Now, I understand that weed probably helps with the pain too, and you dont really build a tolerance to it, so you can keep smoking it day after day and still achieve the same result. But doctors arent really huge fans of people smoking weed while taking controlled substances because that says to them that youre a drug addict and if theyre prescribing controlled substances to a drug addict, they could get in a lot of trouble. So, in order to cover their own ass, theyre going to pull a huge dick move and tell you to either stop smoking weed, or theyre going to take away your painkillers. Now, I doubt that weed by itself is going to help stop your physical pain, so you probably need the painkillers. Thats why I asked earlier if you were smoking it strictly for mental health reasons or the physical pain as well. If its for mental health reasons, then youre probably a lot better off stopping the weed and keeping your painkillers. And like I said there are alternative things you could do for your mental health besides weed, depending on what your problems are exactly. And also, like I said, you could always ask for your dose/meds to be adjusted if they arent working anymore. Another thing I want to mention is that weed stays in your system anywhere from 15-45 days depending on how much and how often you smoke. If youre getting drug tested every month, then theres probably no chance of it not showing up on the drug test...if youre smoking it on a daily basis. So, unless you smoke it only once and then give it like 2-3 weeks to get out of your system before you do your drug test, bottom line is youre going to have to give it up.
  8. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

There are many misconceptions about what marijuana does. It is basically an illegal form of alcohol, where people use it for their own 'reasons', yet it is far more frequently connected to downward spirals in mental health as asphyxiateonmisery has suggested.

So many try to say 'I find it helps', failing to see where the real issues are. It just provides a mask and never fully clears up the issues. They'll stay underneath irrespective of what masks are used until tackled. Ignorance of them solves nothing. And this is just my opinion. Mind you, I lost an uncle to suicide who did the stuff frequently, so I have more reasons to be anti-use. He was only 47, and left behind a total of 6 kids (5 and a stepson).
  9. turryburry

I have since quit. AOM--I was smoking it for the mental reasons but ended up cutting my opioid usage almost in half which is good since I've been on them so long. The nurse who tested me apologized--she thinks it's ridiculous that weed could cost me my pills. The main reason they drug test is to make sure I'm taking the pills and not selling them or trading them.
  10. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I see, so youre saying smoking weed also helped the physical pain some and allowed you to use the opiates less often? Well, honestly, if thats the case then thats a wonderful thing. Im not completely for or against marijuana. I do agree that it definitely makes some peoples mental health problems worse, but I also know that some people are able to smoke it and still lead normal lives if they dont have addiction problems. For the most part yeah i do think its a bad idea to mask your mental problems by smoking weed, but its not that simple for everybody. I definitely understand the whole chronic pain thing that you are going through. I also have chronic pain from a physical disorder...for the past several years now, and trust me I know how it is sometimes. It gets so bad some days that youd be willing to do anything to just make it stop. Its a lose lose situation at times. Like I said I definitely get that and Im not judging you by any means. If weed helped and it got you to use opiates less then thats a huge plus in my book. Opiates are the devil incarnate, and if anything they are much more likely to ruin your life than weed is. I would know cause they ruined mine. Im a heroin addict, and for that reason I dont resort to smoking weed personally, because I know where that road is going to lead me. But if it helps you and you dont have the same issues with addiction then more power to you. But yeah the whole thing with your doctor is definitely unfair. The drug test is both to make sure you arent selling your meds like you said, and also to cover their asses because they cant give those kinds of meds to someone who does any other substances. And like I said before, unless you smoke it once and then give it a few weeks to leave your system before the drug test, its going to show up and youre going to lose your meds, which you really dont want to do. I personally dont agree with that at all cause like i said if anything opiates are more dangerous than weed, but in your situation you just gotta do what you gotta do to keep your pain at bay. But congrats for stopping the weed though and im very sorry you have to go through this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.