Marketing as if I want to sell myself?

Hi
I was wondering, many places I look at are saying that the only way
to find a partner we may be interested at is by marketing ourselves as best
as we can. It may sound cheap but now that I think about it, it is true in a way...

For example I want to offer a new product on the market, I advertise
all the good things about it, and hide all the bad things about it, sometimes
I may also be a bit imaginative and say things that may not be quiet true..

After a while I find out what is more appealing and what is less
and improve the product. Now it may sound a bit cold but unfortunately its true.

So... now I am going to register to a dating website and to advertise
myself as best as I can, I may not like it, but I cant loose anything anyways...
as I dont have much anyways :(

What do you think about that?
Is it right or is it wrong? Am I promoting a mistake? A bad thing?

KimKim

The problem I see about this marketing strategy is the following:
Imagen you are watching TV and see this really good and professional commercial for a product you are interested in. You are convinced and the next day you go to buy it. But soon you'll find out that the didn't mention the bad things about this product. You are disappointed and trow it away.
Do you want to be thrown away?
I think it's important to be honest about your personality if you want to find somebody you match to. But of course it's fine to make yourself a little more interesting that you may appear in real life...This is the internet! We can be what ever we want to be. The real live looks different. Keep that in mind while searching for love. =)
Good luck~

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Wrong. Don't hide the bad things about a product, rationalize their "badness" and explain their ability to be improved. :)

I think you're right of course, if it's what you want and choose to do. All you're doing is putting yourself on the market and saying "hello, I'm open for business!" No foul in that. Good luck.

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
Wrong. Don't hide the bad things about a product, rationalize their "badness" and explain their ability to be improved. :)

I think you're right of course, if it's what you want and choose to do. All you're doing is putting yourself on the market and saying "hello, I'm open for business!" No foul in that. Good luck.
Agreed. No product (or person) is perfect. I'm not saying you should go out there and put all your negatives out for everyone to see. But hiding the bad things will probably only bring you hurt in the long run.

Axiom

Account Closed
Why not just be you and let people find out who you really are in good time. I like people who are just honest and just true to themselves. I think the moment you start "constructing" a persona, you run the risk that the people viewing it are viewing that persona and not you at all. And when you want to connect with them, it might be different to how you portrayed yourself. Which could mean they'll be confused or perhaps they wont be interested in who you truly are. Or perhaps even more so, you won't be interested in someone who wants a persona instead of you.

I donno mate. If you sell a part of you, be prepared to have to maintain that. Otherwise youre manipulating those trying to get to know you. OR I suppose it's just part of the game :) Perhaps Im the worst person for that sorta advice, but all I know is, don't give up a part of you in any regard for a relationship. They either like you for you, or they don't. If they don't they're not worth it. x

jota1

As much as I would like to think that the inside of a person is important when you want to find a partner, I cant. The inside only plays a role after you have met someone and have in some way caught their interest.

If the outside says nothing there will never be an opportunity for the inside to shine, people are just too busy to explore anything other than that first glance.
Life is cruel.

Yes market yourself as much as possible and only open yourself if there is mutual interest. it has nothing to do with creating a "persona" or manipulating anyone its marketing the best parts.

Axiom

Account Closed
*edit* cant believe im trying to give advice on dating.

Just don't fall for a twat who likes your body and politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00