Marks not going away

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hache, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Just to warn, might be a bit graphic.

Starting to worry now.

When I cut it wasn't like pouring with blood, it was done with a bread knife so I sawed at my skin til a little bit of blood showed. I did it three times over three weeks ago, the marks are still there. I have also got a mark on my hand where it got cut accidently, that was around 10th December!!!!! What is left is a red mark, looks smooth, just like normal skin, but it is red and stands out, the self harm cuts are the same.

I am scared, I am scared that my skin isn't going to recover, i'm gunna be like this all my life, i'll have to hide my arm forever. I think it is likely to be a side effect of a more deeper internal problem with my body, possible diabetes, not sure, I think I have it, might not, might be something else. What do I do.

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Get some scar cream on it, other than that you'll just have to wait and see.

Sometimes it takes longer than that for the marks to heal.

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Sorry to inform you, but unless it's very superficial, the scars will be there for life.

It sounds like yours a quite minor so will fade quite a lot.

Viatmine E cream will help with scarring.

4. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

yea..

Its kind of a forever habit. Even if you stop it will be with you always. I suggest you take your fear of it being permanent and put it towards stopping or least finding a better habit.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have red marks from cutting in early December, so it depends on each individual situation, it could take a while to fade. give it some more time. but about the diabetes, if you think you have diabetes or some other condition you should def. go to the doctor and let them run some tests. take care.

6. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue from marks I made over Christmas - although I tried not to scar, it didn't work. I'm struggling to resolve that in my head, but I did it and I knew it was a consequence, so I'll have to live with it. I've got some scar cream that I'm hoping will work, as well as some vitamin E cream, but I think as with most skin injuries, time will tell whether they will fade or not.

It's a good reminder that when I'm in pain it's not a healthy coping mechanism, so I try other things to distract myself now.

I feel your fear and understand.

xx

7. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I have scars from previous self harming, they are all white.

8. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

Apparantly there are different types of scars - I am too tired to look it up, but some cuts heal differently to others and thus cause different types of scars. So perhaps something changed between your previous cuts and your new ones?

9. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Well-Known Member

I still have cutting scars on my wrist from like 3 years ago, just a few days ago, my bf said that he noticed them when we met, but just didnt want to ask me about it.

10. WalkingCorpse

WalkingCorpse Well-Known Member

I don't give a damn that I have scars. Why shouldn't my exterior show the hurt and misery I feel on the inside?

11. SweetTearsOfDeath

SweetTearsOfDeath Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this.
    I have the sade problems. On my arms and on my thighs. I never wear short sleeved shirts and I never wear anything above the knee.
    What you can do is get just the average coco butter cream and apply it twice a day (I generally like to put it on after a shower in the morning and right before I go to bed).
    What you can ALSO try is soaking yourself in water, milk, honey, seasalt, and espon salt. What these do is create a skin revival like substance that should help the skin heal quicker and faster.
    Although, the scars may not go away COMPLETELY like you wish, the scars will fade quickly enough and eventually you will not notice them. Until then, try covering your scars with simple liquid cover up that you use on your face and avoid getting your arms wet. Like in the pool/hottub/etc. Though, in February you should be fine.
    I hope it helps hun and if you EVER need anything, please, just PM me or skype me. I'm always here to help.
    -Kate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.