Martial Arts, A good alternative to cutting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by dice, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dice

dice Well-Known Member

Well I've recently been going through some tough times myself. I'm also a masochist but have really done a good job at resisting the urge to cut and such. Anyway I also recently have taken up martial arts and want to suggest that as a healthy alternative to cutting. I have found it has helped me get into better shape. You can let out your anger safely until you are tired out. It's also great when practicing as sometimes you get a punch or elbow to the face accidentally. Everyone always apologizes when it happens but I'm always thankful for the realism.

2. the_unknown

the_unknown Banned Member

Martial arts is a really good way to release all the stress. It is also a good "distraction" from negative thoughts since you are focused on something like perfecting a technique for example. A person also releases endorphins during hard training thats why there is a "pump" after a tough session.
    I for one however do not train whenever I feel suicidal or depressed, training is a good way to avoid those feelings. But if i have something on my head I won't train since I might inflict unnecessary damage to my sparring partner, the techniques won't also be "registered" in my head and muscle memory since I am occupied with bad thoughts.

Let me guess, you train BJJ right since people say sorry for elbows and punches.

3. the_unknown

the_unknown Banned Member

It also feels good to have a "banged" or "roughed" up body. I feel so alive even though I come home with sprains and bruises. My mother would always ask me why I enjoy training (being punched or put in a submission hold) even though it hurts. But there are times when I feel depressed because of martial arts like whenever I got outclassed by another guy and then my mind would start making fun of me for losing and the likes. My mind would say that I will not excel in anything after losing, etc.

I train Yaw-Yan, it is a Filipino Martial Art... mostly striking but it also has grappling aspects, a good base for MMA.

4. dice

dice Well-Known Member

Well I'm always feeling depressed but the other day I trained in a really bad mood and maybe took it out on my partner. My instructor had to cut in and say take it down a notch. I'd still say though taking it out on a punching or kicking bag is a wonderful experience. Just be careful, not everyone you spar with enjoys getting hurt.

5. Waine

Waine Member

I totally agree, there is nothing like a slap in the face when you have dark thoughts to wake you up. Martial Arts or MMA are a perfect alternative. Thanx for the share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.