Martin Luther King Day

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

While all schools are closed on MLK Day, one school is open because it needs to make up a couple snow days. This is causing quite a ruckus! The NAACP, Uncle Al Sharpton and a number of militant blacks are in an uproar.

I think that Martin Luther King, Jr., himself would want the youngsters in school. He wouldn't want them to fall behind. He would also scold Al Sharpton for his horrible hairstyle and mumbling diction.
  2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I agree, it is quite silly, to say the least. People are way too easily offended nowadays. It's not as if the school can't still honor MLK and remain open at the same time, and I agree that King, given his character, would no doubt prefer students to go to school if they really needed to.

If anything, I'd argue it'd be *more* effective to leave schools open during these remembrance days, and perhaps gear lessons towards what is being celebrated. Giving students and most businesses the day off just renders this holidays into nothing more than vacations and dilutes their importance.
  3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Well god damnit! Those racists sending they kids to school instead of sitting em at home watching the TV! Its a god damned disgrace is what it is!
  4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

If the school can stay closed for Columbus Day, then it can stay closed for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's birthday, okay? They could make up those snow days ANY day. Hell, they could have had them come in on a Saturday even. This is nothing but an insult.

Hell, I've been advocating for an observed Malcolm X Day. If Columbus can have an observed day for himself, then we can surely observe a day for a man that was truly honorable.

You don't see anyone complaining, "well Christmas is nothing, everyone should be in work and at school to understand what it's about". Oh please. If you're going to have observed holidays, then treat them all with the same respect, or take them all away.
  5. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Amen. Good Stuff :) Columbus didn't discover America anyway
  6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Excepting of course that Columbus day is celebrated in what, October? Before the heavy winter snows that closed to school?
    Seems quite irrelevant to me.
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

The principle is the same. Even for holidays that do fall in the wintry weather season, such as Christmas, it would be absurd to go about business as usual on a day marked for an observed holiday to compensate for a snow day; especially when there are at least 350 more unobserved days of the year to do so (i.e. Saturdays, extended weekdays, extended academic year).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.