Masks and glasses

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just wondering, how do others deal with glasses getting foggy while wearing a mask?

I currently have several fitted cotton masks with nose wires. The weather where I am is currently below freezing. I am finding that the when I have a mask on outside it keeps my face warm. But my glasses still fog up a bit.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
You could try taping the mask down over the bridge of your nose with surgical/sports tape. Other ways can be with using warm soapy water. Wash the lenses then dry them off with a microfibre cloth. Baby shampoo or shaving cream can do the same trick, although I'd excercise a bit of caution as it may damage the lens or it's coatings if there are any.

There's also anti-fogging sprays you can buy, but chances up the prices will be ramped up...

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
This may not work for everyone, depending on the shape of your glasses or whatever reason, but I find that wearing mine a little lower on the bridge of my nose when I’m wearing the mask makes a big difference.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I find the disposable ones work better with glasses annoyingly. I put the mask as high as I can up my nose and then put my glasses on over the top of the mask, lower than I'd normally wear them and press the glasses down really firmly. I also find breathing out of my mouth is better than my nose and try to blow the air out downwards.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I got anti fog spray but it was spendy. If I use it every day then it's great and works perfectly. Skipping days... not so much.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I use disposable masks and have same issue with glasses but what I have done when it's this cold outside was to grab my glasses and put them in my pocket putting up with being blind as a bat run in and out by the time in my car or in building I put glasses back on they still warm n dont fog up too much as fog just cuz lenses so cold it takes it time to warm back up to room temp

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
It looks like the one I got is not longer available. It was this though:

Anti Fog Treatment for Anti-Reflective Lenses | Anti fog for Goggles, Glasses, Snorkel Mask, Ski Masks | Superior Defogger for AR Glasses | Antifog Pr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R91W8JJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_laJRkvH8CrSUk

Maybe you can find it elsewhere / find something similar. When I was reading it seems like there was something about the anti reflective thing being extra good. Who knows now. Its been like a decade. Or so it seems ;)

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@Walker I was using my swimming goggle antifog the speedo brand it was several years old I pulled it out of my swimming supplies box when it first became a requirement and everything was out 😂 it wasnt that good so I quit using it and been pondering what brand would be best nowadays

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Nah, let’s all touch our own eyeballs every day. Our squishy vulnerable eyeballs. It’ll be fun.
Actually, the outer part is pretty hard and resilient. It's the inner section that is squishy which I found out the hard way whilst I was dissecting one many years ago.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Actually, the outer part is pretty hard and resilient. It's the inner section that is squishy which I found out the hard way whilst I was dissecting one many years ago.
Now I’m just seeing a scalpel coming closer and closer while you laugh maniacally.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@DrownedFishOnFire I also found the antifog stuff to really be the only solution that worked. I have some masks that are better than others at helping, but none that fully did the trick. A bottle does go a long way, so that's the good news.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00