Massacre at Virginia Tech University

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by TG123, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

I am sure you have all heard by now about the massacre at the Virginia Tech University. A man with a gun launched 2 attacks on the campus, the second time murdering 32 people before shooting himself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416...shooting_87;_ylt=AiaM1oca_lZE2ArFch5gz4Om1OFF

This is such a horrific and barbaric act of mass murder and seems to be the worst school shooting in American history. I cannot even begin to imagine the terror of the students, faculty and others at the university that day, or the grief of parents and family and friends who have heard about loved ones who will never be coming home again.

Please keep them in your prayers, may Christ help them in this horrific time, and may the survivors and relatives find peace in Him. No one who died in that university on this horrific day deserved such a terrible fate. It doesn't matter what they did or didn't do, believed or didn't believe. What happened to them was so evil and so horrific and so wrong.

Also, although it may be hard, please pray for the family and loved ones of the shooter and for people who harbour similar thoughts that he did. His act was horrific and completely unjustifiable, but he also was a person and unfortunately one who succumbed to the forces of evil. Many 'school shooters' themselves have been victims of rejection and violence (I don't know if this was the case here, it certainly was in Taber and Columbine). This does not justify their actions, but we should always remember that all people are created in God's likeness and image and remember to reach out and show Christ's love to everyone, especially those who are rejected and hurting.

Please pray for people in the United States of America and across the world who are victims of violence. May they find peace and solace in God. Pray as well for those who are being driven by anger and desperation or have been brainwashed by the secular materialist culture of violence and profit and selfishness that is being propagated and spread in the West and across the world. May they throw away these Satanic forces and come to Jesus.

God bless you and take care.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

2. How many children died of starvation today?

How many committed suicide?

We're used to it. That's why we're talking about this school shooting.

Tougher sentences, and better security measures. That's what capitalists want. And let the ones who are not able to adapt to this unnatural life, die. But the ones who are going to die, should know not to blame themselves, and blame society. And society should know it's in their best interest to address these social injustices. Cuz as we've seen today it exploded in their faces. I don't know what happened exactly in this case. But a lot of the time, these people end up killing themselves, in large numbers, and no one cares.

3. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

They would not have broadcasted it and there would not be such an outcry from people if they did not care.

4. You should reread my post, I think. I know they care about these students.

They care, cuz they're selfish, it's a random massacre. They know it could of had happened to them.

But do they care about the 10,000 children that died in Africa today? Or the hundreds that committed suicide?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  5. Praise Jesus!

6. crzykidshanana

crzykidshanana Well-Known Member

I don't really agree with this. The media broadcasts things of interest. It doesn't necessessarily have to do with the fact that people care or not. It's another reason for outrage.

7. Could this be an act of God? God's judgement. Like Fred Phelps says.

8. crzykidshanana

Who's that?

9. Fred Phelps, you have not heard of him. He's a Christian minister.

www.godhatesfags.com < this is his website

He also pickets a lot. Including people's funerals.

A lot of people hate him, I don't.

10. crzykidshanana

Gotcha. No, I know who he is now. I just never really knew the name.

11. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

"This is such a horrific and barbaric act of mass murder and seems to be the worst school shooting in American history."

Don't be so harsh as to label it that. The shooter had to have been pushed or provoked to the point where he could no longer take it any more.
    We, here on a Suicide Forum, of all places, should be able to empathize, as least a bit...
    It most certainly wasn't a "random" thing.
    The guy simply couldn't cope with his situation any more.

Sure, it DOES NOT excuse what happened and how he chose to "deal" with his issues...but it's only fair to consider HIS part of the story.
    I, for one, know several people who are being bullied at school and fantasize about doing such things.
    They aren't murderers or criminals, simply individuals in a hell of a lot of pain.

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

dude ..

10,000 children died in africa today and 33 students were killed. Yes you have a point and you and I both know society is FAR FAR away from accepting that we are all important. But connecting the 33 deaths today and the thousands of peopledying in africa the way you just did to me is insulting to those people who died. Make a thread about the blind eye to the thousands of people dying in africa, dont overshadow the deaths of these 33 people people with it.

I disagree with you.(and respectively) I don't care how sick you are, how much pain you are in, how much of a hell you are living through. No one has ANY right to murder someone. This guy crossed the line, I really could care less about his 'reasons' right now, if ever. It to me is lost in the shadow of the fact that he murdered 33 students.

There's a huge difference between fantasizeing and making that fantasy a reality.

13. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

Blake -

I never said that what he had been going through gave him the right to end a human life...No one has that right.

I'm merely trying to look at the situation from a shooter's point of view.
    This event does reflect heavily upon society...Nobody is willing to take any responsibility for anything. Simply blaming it on the shooter is extremely irresponsible!

IMHO, the students/teachers are largely to blame for this. Had they been more perceptive to the shooter's plight, this could have been prevented...

Ultimately, it WAS the shooter's decision to go through with his plan. Yet, a bit of empathy should be shown for him despite the rashness of his actions...
    Usually, extreme actions are successful in alerting people of problems within society... :dry:

14. asqy

asqy Well-Known Member

maybe we should give this at least a day before everyone gets into an argument about it...

15. beautifuloblivion

beautifuloblivion Well-Known Member

16. TLA

TLA Antiquitie's Friend

Syiah-

I wonder if many will align with your viewpoint; it seems rather extreme to me. From ANY viewpoint, you do not kill others cuz you are pissed at the world. :thumbdown: This is NOT Iraq (yet).

I won't agrue. If you are trying to justify this by seeing his viewpoint maybe you can go live on Jupiter too.

I am sitting in class, listening to a peer answer the question of debate. The classroom door opens and a man comes into the room with a gun pointed at me. I have never seen him before. But, I should understand from his point of view that he may take my life. NO NO NO NO!!!!!

SORRY, It is ONLY the shooters responsibility. :evil: Say he cannot problem solve, many of us fail at that. Say, whatever you want. If he does not want to talk, seek help then why should me or my friends die cuz he has problems or cannot deal with things??

They already did a short sad story on a guy named Ryan --> "Stack", everyone knew him, he was in the band...family is in Ga. Friend to LOTS, nice, talented. He died for what?

I have a great capacity for empathy and compassion. I want to help others, educate myself and care. I do not think people that murder others do.
    I want to die many times, but I DO NOT want to HURT OTHERS, that is the difference (to me).

Thanks for letting me air this out!!

17. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It is the shooters responsibility, I totally agree with that, BUT given that the university did not close after the original problem, after shooting his ex and another person, that provided another opportinuty for him, which he took.

The university did not carry out their duty of care of the students, not to mention showed utter disrespect to the dead people and their families.

It's not the just the shooter that has to ccarry responsibilty. Yes he pulled the trigger, but things could have been done to prevent the second spree.

But whoever is responsible, the whole thing is very tragic and I really hope that they can learn from this and tighten their gun laws. Apparently the US has some of the slackest gun laws about.

18. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Some excellent points. I agree it is disgusting that we in the West take certain types (and often on a gargantuan scale) of human suffering for granted. The millions who die of hunger and AIDS around the world go ignored, simply because they live in developing countries and their cries of pain do not reach our ears. Many cried during September 11, did they also cry when bombs were being dropped on Iraqi children in Baghdad? Or when Palestinian or Chechen or Sudanese or Iraqi or Colombian people are being murdered everyday?
    You are right, our society can be very 'selective'. I think it shouldn't cause us to ignore this terrible tragedy, but we should also not ignore the other tragedies that take place around us each day. Thank you for your post.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

19. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

Thanks TG, they'll be in my prayers.

suicide_ideation, as will the people dying from stavation and suicide, as will the rest of the world. TG was pointing out something some people might want to know about and was asking us to think of those people too. we often have thoughts of those thousands of people dying from hunger, but why should we overlook these people? why infact should we overlook anyone.

Thanks again TG =]

20. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Agreed. That is why I wrote this as well in my post:

Also, although it may be hard, please pray for the family and loved ones of the shooter and for people who harbour similar thoughts that he did. His act was horrific and completely unjustifiable, but he also was a person and unfortunately one who succumbed to the forces of evil. Many 'school shooters' themselves have been victims of rejection and violence (I don't know if this was the case here, it certainly was in Taber and Columbine). This does not justify their actions, but we should always remember that all people are created in God's likeness and image and remember to reach out and show Christ's love to everyone, especially those who are rejected and hurting.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.