massive blood loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

zusanna

i've decided how i want to kill myself, but i have no idea if it would work or not.
what happens when someone loses most of their body's blood? when people 'bleed to death', what really happens? cardiac arrest?

i want to <mod edit: bunny - methods> bleed myself dry. but if i'm just going to end up passing out, vomiting, and in agony AGAIN, and having another hospital bill for my parents to pay, i don't even want to try. i'd much rather live than feel that way again.

i know no one here is going to encourage me in any way. i'd just like to hear someone say why it wouldn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Your right, we can't give you methods on how on how to commit suicide and I also don't think we can also answer your question as well, I'm sorry.

Zusanna, you asked "what happens when someone loses most of their body's blood? when people 'bleed to death', what really happens? cardiac arrest?"

Hemorrhage generally becomes dangerous, or even fatal, when it causes hypovolemia (low blood volume) or hypotension (low blood pressure). In these scenarios various mechanisms come into play to maintain the body's homeostasis. These include the "retro-stress-relaxation" mechanism of cardiac muscle, the baroreceptor reflex and renal and endocrine responses such as the renin - angiotensin - aldosterone effect.

Hemorrhage is broken down into 4 classes by the American College of Surgeons' Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS).[1]

Class I Hemorrhage involves up to 15% of blood volume. There is typically no change in vital signs and fluid resuscitation is not usually necessary.
Class II Hemorrhage involves 15-30% of total blood volume. A patient is often tachycardic (rapid heart beat) with a narrowing of the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures. The body attempts to compensate with peripheral vasoconstriction. Skin may start to look pale and be cool to the touch. The patient might start acting differently. Volume resuscitation with crystaloids (Saline solution or Lactated Ringer's solution) is all that is typically required. Blood transfusion is not typically required.
Class III Hemorrhage involves loss of 30-40% of circulating blood volume. The patient's blood pressure drops, the heart rate increases, peripheral perfusion, such as capillary refill worsens, and the mental status worsens. Fluid resuscitation with crystaloid and blood transfusion are usually necessary.
Class IV Hemorrhage involves loss of >40% of circulating blood volume. The limit of the body's compensation are reached and aggressive resuscitation is required to prevent death.
Individuals in excellent physical and cardiovascular shape may have more effective compensatory mechanisms before experiencing cardiovascular collapse. These patients may look deceptively stable, with minimal derangements in vital sounds, while having poor peripheral perfusion (shock).
:sad:

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
It seems as though your really going to go through with this aren't you? I really hope you can reconsider but of course I don't know you and I can't understand the emotional pain you are in, I'm sorry. :sad:

zusanna

the funny thing is i'm not really in emotional pain. or at least i don't feel like it. i don't cry. i just know this is something i want to do. i feel like a failure, and i don't feel like i can recover from it. so instead of struggling and being a disappointment - i'd rather just not play this dumb game. it's a lucid decision. it's not a "suicidal trance". i mostly just don't care.

mike25

Zusanna, consider the possibility that you're not a failure or a disappointment. Failure and disappointment are just labels. You are actually a unique human being, which makes you infinitely worthy.

zusanna

Zusanna, consider the possibility that you're not a failure or a disappointment. Failure and disappointment are just labels. You are actually a unique human being, which makes you infinitely worthy.
yes, well, they are labels i use for myself. and in that, they are powerful.
a unique human being, sure, but what does that really mean in the end? i am one in several billion alive, and i'll be one in several several billion dead. i've been given the gift of life, i've had my stay here. i have a limited amount of heartbeats. they're running out. i'm okay with that.

Zurkhardo

As you lose blood you become very cold, to the point of shivering. Things get dark, and eventually difficulty breahting, including suffocation, kick in. Its a very slow, often painful way to go.

Besides...with limited heartbeats, why not try and make them all worth it?

mike25

yes, well, they are labels i use for myself. and in that, they are powerful.
a unique human being, sure, but what does that really mean in the end? i am one in several billion alive, and i'll be one in several several billion dead. i've been given the gift of life, i've had my stay here. i have a limited amount of heartbeats. they're running out. i'm okay with that.
You have a choice whether to use those labels. You're in charge - take control. Unique means one of a kind. In this world, uniqueness is valued. Hence why people pay vast fortunes for original paintings or antiques or whatever. Are you, as a sentient being not worth far more than those temporal things? No one can be like you, therefore you are priceless.

worlds edge

You have a choice whether to use those labels. You're in charge - take control. Unique means one of a kind.
This is likely the sort of rah-rah cheerleading that she's (I'm assuming a zusanna is a she) been hearing for most of her life. It hasn't worked up until now, and I doubt it'll start working anytime soon.

It may work for you, and if does, wonderful. As for me, all it does is make me want to snarl like the wolf in my avatar. :dry:

In this world, uniqueness is valued. Hence why people pay vast fortunes for original paintings or antiques or whatever.
This is silly. People pay vast fortunes for works of "art" that are nothing but smears of paint or two pieces of sheet metal bolted together. Doubtless they're unique but they hardly seem worthwhile. Besides, the objects are of value only to the purchaser, they have no value inherent in and of themselves.

Are you, as a sentient being not worth far more than those temporal things? No one can be like you, therefore you are priceless.
I think the value or lack thereof of her life is for zusanna and zusanna ONLY to determine. Not Gmork, not Mike25 and not anyone else. She seems both intelligent and articulate, so it would probably be helpful if she sat down and on her own terms thought out why she's planning to do what she's doing. Assuming she's looking for feedback, she should even post it, as it strikes me that this would be better than make kind of an inflammatory opening post on what seems a rather ghastly method, though not one without considerable historical precedent. But that's me. I'm not her.

zusanna

...Are you, as a sentient being not worth far more than those temporal things? No one can be like you, therefore you are priceless.
my self worth is null and void. i am priceless to people in my life, but this isn't about them.

and gmork, thank you for understanding. i WILL write in here why i want to do this to myself. just not tonight. i'll give it some careful consideration.. i think this will be really good for me either way i decide to go. :) oh and PM me if you want, i'd like to talk sometime.

zusanna

As you lose blood you become very cold, to the point of shivering. Things get dark, and eventually difficulty breahting, including suffocation, kick in. Its a very slow, often painful way to go.

Besides...with limited heartbeats, why not try and make them all worth it?
the suffocation part sounds kind of terrible. but i'll make it through - and as for the cold - i'll bundle up in some blankets to keep warm and hold onto a teddy bear. heeh. i'm ready for this.

D

Death71

I can only imagine that watching yourself bleed to death must be an awful way to die. I also think, from what i've read about it, that it's not an easy thing to get right in the first place. Plus think of the person that is going to find you if you do manage to succeed in doing it.

Jodi

Staff Alumni
zusanna,

I do hope you reach out for help....I do hope you change your mind....lean on us...call a hotline...in US I believe its 1-800-suicide....not sure...but just ask for what ya need will help you out best we can.....if none of that helps you...take it from a woman who has asthma and severe allergies and has lived through several Anaphylactic shocks......you wont 'make it through' the suffocation part.....Anaphylactic is an acute systemic (rapid, multi-system) and severe allergic reaction. Occurs when a person is exposed to a trigger substance, called an allergen, to which they have already become sensitized. Minute amounts of allergens may cause a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. May occur after ingestion, inhalation (though this is rare), skin contact or injection of an allergen. The most severe type anaphylactic shock—will usually lead to death in minutes if left untreated.....Researchers typically distinguish between "true anaphylaxis" and "pseudo-anaphylaxis" (other forms of suffocation).The distinction is only important for researchers who are studying mechanisms of allergic reactions, and it may frustrate patients who feel they are being told that a life-threatening allergic reaction wasn't "real."(point being suffocation, is the same).....you see...as someone who has been through that...believe me its not easy when you try to breathe and you can't...worse feeling and scariest to me.....please dont do this to yourself....please check out our resource area....get linked up with some help....talk to us....PM me or any of our staff...but dont hurt yourself....your life is in your hands...only you can make that decision...I'm just letting you know I'm here if you need an ear to listen....and please take good care....be thinking of you....Jodi

zusanna

I can only imagine that watching yourself bleed to death must be an awful way to die. I also think, from what i've read about it, that it's not an easy thing to get right in the first place. Plus think of the person that is going to find you if you do manage to succeed in doing it.
well, i'm not actually going to just bleed everywhere. it's going to be a very tidy method. and it doesn't involve cutting myself. just some good medical supplies.

and i don't think i am going to go through with this, i promised someone i would hold out for the summer, which will hopefully be so special i will rethink things. but that can only really last for so long.

Jodi

Staff Alumni
zusanna,

Im so happy to hear you have someone in your life that means so much to you, and I do hope that by then you will have changed your mind and that things will have gotten a bit better for you.....please know we are always here for you....

Is This It

the funny thing is i'm not really in emotional pain. or at least i don't feel like it. i don't cry. i just know this is something i want to do. i feel like a failure, and i don't feel like i can recover from it. so instead of struggling and being a disappointment - i'd rather just not play this dumb game. it's a lucid decision. it's not a "suicidal trance". i mostly just don't care.
I feel very similar to this I neither feel happy or sad but really don't see a reason to continue, I really just can't be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00