massive desire to harm myself

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by pbobble, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

Well I've got a massive desire/impulse to start burning myself again atm, managing to hold off just about. Really frustrating as I haven't in two weeks now, and thought the whole thing was begining to go away. Not keen on getting more scars, not really told anyone at all about this, even dr.

Maybe just need to distract myself and hopefully it will go away? anyone got over these impulses and found they dissappear over time?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The waves of sh do disappear in time that is why distraction works sometimes hun. You get outside away from the space your in you go s hopping go for a walk call someone it does work and you call your doctor let know you are not feeling so great lately Talking to someone helps too hun hugs
  3. pbobble

Thanks, hoping these desires will dissapear over time. Doctor knows how ill I am now and I'm getting extra meds, yet haven't mentioned the sh to him, or any friends or anything.

I think I'm more ashamed of it than anything, even the friend who knows of my recent suicide attempt, doesn't know about this. I think the shame and the fear of discovery through scarring helps put me off doing it so maybey that is good.
  4. sollepus

sollepus Active Member

Hey! Just wanted to say, I completely understand.

My SH desires come and go. They have even went away for over a year (or were at least resistible anyway).

I only recently met some people like me, told them (as in a month ago recent). Then, I got the courage to tell my bf, other friends and family (as in I told my family last night).

I'm going to be starting an intensive outpatient program this week. It will last for 5-7 days.

I'll let you know how it goes; this will be the first time I've ever told a doc about it. Good luck and just keep resisting. I find it's best to be around people; then I can't, because I need privacy for when I do. Stay strong! *hugs*
  5. pbobble

Thanks, yeah the sh desires do come and go, feeling it less when I feel a bit better, or keep busy, being around people helps. As does keeping up with sport, for me, as it makes me limit sh to avoid scars that can be seen, when I'm competing.

Good that you told your family, hope they are supportive.

Hopefullly the outpatient program works out for you too, good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.