(May trigger)How many Psych docs have attempted suicide?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by 1Lefty, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

Just wondering, this forum seems to be effective because there's no need for all the back-story and nuance. I mean, for me, there is a dark place that is filled with indescribable pain, a frightening and compelling voice that insists "You know how to make it stop,hurry before it gets worse." Pretty much everyone has been there and needs no introduction to it.

But I wonder how many of the people intended to help us actually have first hand knowledge? How many have been to the dark place, or is their knowledge confined to what they learned from a textbook? Sure, they can interview clients, but can the depth and emotional trauma even be decribed in words?

Just wondering why SI or attempted suicide seem like such foreign concepts to my doc, when they're an everyday part of my reality.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

That is a good question. Out of the people I have seen, psychiatrists, CPNs, therapists etc there is only one who I could say I could probably tell they have really lived it, learned from it and wanted to help me. You find those people to be the best to help you.
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I think my pdoc skims over it, and tells me that I am normal thinking of suicide at the drop of a hat. (Seriously, anything can cause it, even my dad being home not bothering me)

I know it's not normal. But I agree, many in the health profession have no idea what it's like to go through the daily suicide ritual; the planning, the preparation, the attempts.

They really have no idea.
  4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Well, I imagine there is a certain percentage of them who decided to pursue that career because of past personal experience. Or say, experience dealing with close friends or family members who have had problems along these lines.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i think there are many pdoc nurses that have suffered and are still suffering perhaps and yes they are the ones that get it and seem to connect to what is going on I also think that many were drawn to their profession because of thier past
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.