*may trigger* Recent suicides in wales

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by starlight2006, Feb 7, 2008.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
  2. No

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starlight2006

starlight2006 Well-Known Member

I know this maybe a bit of a controversial issue. In the past year or so 14 young people in the area of Bridgend, Wales have committed suicide. It has got alot of media attention here, and the police are investigating whether their are any links between them all. One suggestion is that they all may have visited a suicide site on the internet. I have been on this site for just over a year. In that time I have been provoked by people on this site, in chat and through threads into wanting to commit suicide. And I have read serveral posts where people have been triggered, either by others threatening suicide, by being ignored in chat and through arguments in threads.

Has anyone here had similar experiences? Are there risks in being on a site like this one even though it isn't pro-suicide? Is it such a good idea to concentrate a group of unstable people in one place?

Im not attacking the site at all, it has helped me through many problems and there are many lovely people here. I was just wondering what everyones views are on this subject.

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

This particular site is very well moderated and it needs to be if it's gonna be of any support to emotionally unstable people. There are risks to even the most well moderated forums out there that deal with these kinds of issues, but I'm guessing that this is the safest place to get support on the net.

The site you mentioned sounds very poorly run, I wouldn't visit such a negative site in the future. But that's just my opinion, you're free to do as you please.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  3. starlight2006

starlight2006 Well-Known Member

The site I was talking about is actually this one, SF
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I had no idea, sorry.

No, I have never seen or experienced anything like that on this site. Mods are usually pretty quick to detect things like that here.
  5. Veclord

Veclord Active Member

I would never commit suicide because of a message board on the internet. I don't care what was said to me. It's a big world out there and if you don't like who I am, it's not going to affect me in a way that negative. People who argue or think otherwise need to grow up.

I've spent about 2 months on this forum and I've only gotten 1 person that I think I could call a real friend. I blame myself for that seeings that I don't really make much effort. It's not that I'm backward or don't care, I just feel like people won't keep in touch or project disinterest overtime.

The chat is strange to me. Everyone is usually very nice and always greet me when I come in, but alot of times it seems like no one is really capable of holding a good conversation. There's a huge load of smilies available to use and it seems some people abuse them quite a bit. Having said that, I do stop by the chat every now and then to say hello to others browsing the page. I just can't stay there longer than a few minutes.
  6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I have heard about the Bridgend suicides and it's really awful, another one committed suicide only a week or so ago, I think. I thought about SF and it's involvement but I doubt it's directly linked to this site. I know of very few people on here who are from Wales and I read quite a few threads. For 14 people all in the same area to contact each other via PMs on here (seeing as they obviously wouldn't discuss this via the forum) the chances of this happening, from my perspective, is pretty slim. Ultimately though, people can talk about and arrange suicide pacts etc via any site on the internet - even those non-suicide related, even facebook.
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Ok, this has just made Sky News because two more young people from that South Wales community have just hung themselves. The death toll is now 16 in under a year, does anyone know whether these people really were members of this site? The news report made no mention of this site and made reference to a "suicide cult" which sounds ridiculous, but something's up.
  8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

We've nothing to say that they were members of this site, at all...
    At the end of the day, the news report is probably conjecture - indeed, the experts / police etc. have no idea why there are so many suicides in one place, I don't think, so I very much doubt the news report has either.
  9. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I still don't believe SF is involved in this, read my previous post for the reasons. I do however believe that the internet is involved in some way or another. Last I heard, the coroner gave a verdict and said these suicides were unrelated, which, I believe, is a load of poppycock.
  10. allofme

allofme Staff Alumni

there are sites NOT THIS ONE where people share ways to su and even encourage it ... Su is a catalyst… when someone on the edge of su hears of another who has committed su then it makes it just that much easier to do it themselves…people discuss it and sometimes gain courage… or they see the attention the deceased person is getting and wants to become part of it… or when in an argument with a parent a teen may say “I am going to kill myself just like the others” and a parent may say something like “don’t be stupid” which brings the attitude ‘I’ll show you” they always have therapists in schools when a student dies from any reasons (here in the us any way) because believe it or not death is catchy … it is a proven phenomenon, just like these campus shootings… and the other thing to know is not to allow someone here or anywhere to have that much power over you as to make you want to su because of something they did or did not say…. If you are feeling rejected or ignored contact someone and ask to talk… that is why we are here…
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.