maybe a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by purpleAPY, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purpleAPY

purpleAPY Well-Known Member

this might sound really dumb, but what is the harm in self harm? i mean, obviously if it gets to the point where you are harming yourself so bad that its becoming a health issue... but i cut myself occasionally, sometimes not even hard enough to break the skin, so whats wrong with that?

ive also put out cigarettes on my arm... but thats not even a self harm sort of thing i just like the feeling of being burnt.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

both are self harm anything that causes pain or damages you internally or externally is self harm you are using this to cope and not using good coping mechanisms scratiching yourself pulling hair out cutting using drugs etc etc is self harm
  3. purpleAPY

purpleAPY Well-Known Member

but i mean, how is it that much different from like using pain for pleasure for sexual purposes?
  4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with your first post but not here. Usnig pain as a sexual thing is different since Self Harm is something people start off using, normally, to either forget the emotional pain or to "take control" of something in their lives. That is how they are different.

However, even normally, I no longer see the harm in SH. I mean I know if there are alternatives that you can deal with, you should use those, but for me, I'll cut and burn myself a hundred times over if it means I don't commit suicide. It's like a drug though, which is why people tell you to be careful. If you aren't, it becomes too addictive to stop. I've been there and it's not nice. Just be careful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.