maybe seeing a therapist??

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I'm apologize if this is in the wrong section... it seemed to be the best place, but I'm pretty dumb.. so yeah.

I've been toying with the idea of seeing a therapist at my school's mental health department now for a couple of months, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I was so close about a month ago when I thought you could sign up for appointments online (you can for all other medical appointments), but then I realized that you needed to make a phone call, and then later that day they'd call you back and do a 'triage', whatever that means. First of all, I have major phone phobia... I seriously can not handle phones. Secondly, the triage call is the same day as the first phone call - there's like no time to recover from the first one. I know I probably sound incredibly childish, but I'm just so scared.

And I don't know what to tell them. I'm afraid that they'll think I'm being overdramatic and don't really need help, and that side of me is tempting me to cut up my arms even worse than they are now so I really look like I need help. The other side of me is afraid that they'll think I'm a wreck, so maybe I shouldn't tell them everything... I don't know I'm so scared. Even if I want to tell them everything, I'm really shy and don't talk to anyone off the internet about anything of any importance.. what makes me think I can do it now?

I don't know what I'm asking you guys to do.. Maybe those of you who know can tell me what to expect from this 'triage' business? I really do want to get help. I'm so sick of all of this. I'm sorry.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've only been through triage at the hospital's ER department, so i don't know how transferable the experience is. mostly it was to find out if i was in immediate danger of harming myself (which in fact i was)... so the questions centered around did i have a suicide plan? did i have the tools for my method at hand? did i have a time picked out? if you are in immediate danger, in a hospital setting, you are placed in a special ER section, and seen by the crisis team that day.

i wonder if the school health services would ask something similar, maybe with a few more questions to cover things like eating disorders or addictions, and so on. they might have different therapists who specialize in different things, so they might want to know how to refer you.

if you are in doubt, you could always ring them up and ask the receptionist "what is this triage phone call that you make... what happens.... what questions are you asking...." then at least you will know.

i know it's pretty scary to call but it is great to have someone to talk to so probably worth that step.

you coudl always write down the important stuff and have it beside you on the table so that you can refer to your notes if you have to.

good luck, let me know what you decide?

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I called at my school and they had a 10 minute or so talk with me before seeing them. They were very nice people.
    If you're deciding whether or not to see a therapist, I would definitely suggest it! It's helped me a lot. I saw a therapist at my school who didn't help a lot, but if they do or don't help you, at least they will point you in the right direction! No therapist will ever tell you they are being overdramatic! You won't ever hear that. They know what needs attention, and you obviously do. I hope you do make the call. Let us know how it goes.
    You can do it! hehe :hug:

4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

thank you guys so much, that was so helpful!

I am going to call tomorrow. I know I've told myself tons of times before that I am going to call later, but this time I'm really doing it. I'll let you know how it goes. =)

(oh, and if I come back on here tomorrow and say I'll do it later, yell at me please!! lol)

5. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Oh, I have one question though - if I tell them that I have a suicide plan, but I've had the same one for ages (since I was 13 actually), and I haven't seriously considered it for over a month they won't freak out, right? I've heard stories that my school is really quick to hospitalize you or make you take a semester off... but they have to believe you're in immediate danger to yourself, correct?

I'm sorry if I'm being dumb, I'm just really nervous about this and I haven't ever done anything with mental health services before.

6. fromthatshow

good luck!

from my experience, they don't send you unless they believe you're in immediate danger
    i told the doctor the other day i was scared to go home cuz i had so many pills i could mix, he talked me through it and I went home. was expecting to be sent to the hospital. he told me they do everything they can NOT to send people there

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i think as long as you stress you don't intend to act on your plan sometime soon you should be okay.

so... did you call?

8. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Thanks guys... but no, of course I didn't call. In my defense I had a pretty big paper due today that I was working on pretty much right up until it was due and didn't have time to call until after the place closed. But to be honest, I doubt I would have made the call anyways. I'm really just not brave enough, I don't know why I thought I would be this time. I'm sorry for wasting your time.. :sad:

9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I did it!!!!! Oh my god, I can't believe I finally did it. I was just feeling really impulsive and randomly in good mood, as I've been spending the rest of the week thinking about methods, writing goodbye letters to my parents and brothers, and cutting... but I did it. I have the triage phone call thing tomorrow afternoon, and I am terribly nervous and haven't decided what I'm going to say yet, but I just feel so hopeful. I know its an incredibly small thing, but I'm braver than I thought I was. Things are going to get better from here, right?

10. fromthatshow

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you!
    Let us know how it goes.
    It's not a small thing. It is a big deal, and I am really proud of you :confetti:
    Isn't being hopefull a wonderful feeling? :D

11. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Well done Alison. You've taken a big step towards recovery. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how you get on. You should feel proud of yourself for doing this.:smile:

12. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

Congratulations for taking the first step towards recovery!

You said a few posts ago your school is really quick to hospitalize/force students to take medical leave. It is a legitimate concern, and I think you need to be careful if you are committed to staying in school.

I dont know where you are going, and I'm assuming you are a college/university student, but in the states, most schools have MANDATORY WITHDRAWAL policies for students in acute psychiatric crisis. The problem is, of course, that mental health always falls into the "gray area."

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/41/11/1-a

I think therapy is a wonderful tool. As a fellow student going through the process, however, I would encourage you to tread carefully until you know where your therapist stands on certain potentially "high risk" issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.