maybe slightly odd

I have been thinking. I'm not very good at explaining things, so I hope this makes sense.

So, sometimes i watch TV with my housemate at night. We (mainly she) choses what we watch and i enjoy these things mostly. When I put the TV on when I'm on my own, i have no interest in it at all. Nothing i look at seems like i want to watch it. Even things that i seem to really like when i watch them with her.
Does anyone else feel this way or is it really just me? I'm sat here now looking at the screen saver on the TV because i don't even know what i like to watch when I'm alone.

I'm already super aware of how sad that makes me. I guess I'm just wondering if there is only me in the world that feels like this?

Thank you for reading a really irrelevant post.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I'm just wondering if there is only me in the world that feels like this?
Absolutely not. There's a different dynamic when doing any activity, even watching TV quietly, by yourself versus with another person.

I'm already super aware of how sad that makes me.
I don't think this makes you sad at all. It's a good thing that you can enjoy being in someone's company.

I say cherish the things you can enjoy with others.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi flowerdream, I definitely think it is the enjoyment you get from doing the activity together that makes it fun for you together, a lot of things are boring and dreary to do alone. Laughing, giggling, talking about what you are watching makes it real entertainment. Whilst doing it alone, that takes all the fun out of it and probably gives you trouble concentrating. You obviously thrive on the company and that is obviously a good thing :)

Definitely just do more together. I know you have some days when you are very low, on those days pick up the phone and talk to a friend and enjoy something together whether its a movie or a take out meal.

hi @Champagne. Thank you for your reply. I will try. Mostly though if i'm low i'm not able to tell anyone. It isn't because i don't want to, its purely because in them moments i cant find any words to explain it so i go quiet and no one notices. But today isn't one of them days. Today kind of seems to be a self reflection day.. Sparked by trying to watch TV alone lol. It just got me thinking

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey, yeah, when feeling low we get unmotivated and just basically feel like crap and want to lay in bed all day, I know I do anyway but there's always room to change habits, sometimes its hard to reach out when you feel under the weather or very depressed but just do your best, when you're in the company of others who have a positive impact on you, you will feel more upbeat and positive, just try and reach out on the low days and hopefully you can make that a habit. *hug

I don't find a lack of interest in TV odd at all. I never watched much, anyway. I stopped watching TV at all even before eating spiders and sheep's guts for money (Fear Factor) was considered entertainment.

Read. Listen to music. Make music/play an instrument/sing. Juggle. Carve wood. Paint. Ad infinitum.

Having said all that, I find that I spend most of my free time playing solitaire on the computer or (virtual solitaire) playing multiplayer card/board games on the computer with 'bots. With a ton of books, CDs, carving tools, guitars that I used to play on average 3 hours a day, THAT is what depresses me.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I don't think it's too weird. Sometimes there's nothing interesting at all on TV, so then I do something that I find more entertaining, like reading or watching a movie I like.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Now that the OP mentions his/her oddity, let me mention mine. My Oddity is that when I listen to music, it has to be when I'm with my gaming friends in-person. I have to be with a friend in-person, otherwise I don't enjoy the music at all.

Now that the OP mentions his/her oddity, let me mention mine. My Oddity is that when I listen to music, it has to be when I'm with my gaming friends in-person. I have to be with a friend in-person, otherwise I don't enjoy the music at all.
This is exactly what I mean, like even though you like certain things I don't like it at all on my own. Its like I don't know what I like alone. But im glad im not alone, I thought I was truly odd with this

I totally understand Flowerdream.xxx I feel the same about alot of things.I can spend an hour flicking through the remote control. People say its because we are old souls or it may be that we have a propensity towards some kind of healing. I get vacuousness watching tele alot, sometimes I welcome it if I have been studying or writing., I get it over christmas, I find this really difficult . Everyone is joy and i'm finding the end of the year to be an emotional challenge not always a celebration. I get it shopping. I dont get it so much in nature. I found writing helped because I wanted to do something creative with my own inner worlds. perhaps you have a latent talent or you want a deeper spiritual connection to something or, you love pets and children. xxx

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00