Me again.. Plans and Psychologists and confidentiality..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if in wrong subforum, read with caution may be triggering not too sure?

---

I don't wanna waffle on about my situation again because i've done it a few times and its probably a bit boring to read so i'll spare it.

Everythings abit messed up at the moment - depression and just real intense thoughts, I see my psychologist through CMHT once a week but he's away alot now and again...which doesn't help but I deal with it as i'm kinda grateful. He's been away for the last 2 weeks so I haven't really had the chance to talk. I'm seeing him however next week Wednesday but i'm considering not going at the same time..

To the point, a few months ago I was on the brink of trying to end my life properly, I searched high and low for a website for encouragement (cos I need to man the hell up) and suprisingly found one, got some advice from a person on there...which has led to this..

Im not immediately suicidal now - just thoughts here and there, but recently i've made a few decisions in terms of attempting by a certain month if things don't improve. I have a day in mind and I have a method in mind. Its pathetic I know but i'm tired of living what it feels to be a lie..which i've been living for about 3 years now.. I know there people with worse situations out there which is why its so pathetic but bleh.

But just wondering the implications say if I was to say it really when it comes to confidentiality? Its not an immediate thing, i've never been to hospital or anything like that, will he be cool with it (in terms of not raising hell) or am I just asking for that to happen by letting him know? If that makes sense.

Apologies if my thread is just pure jumble. It probably is.

Hopefully I haven't said anything that would be deemed offensive either, I've tried to keep the original post as condensed as possible.

solutions

There's a really basic rule when it comes to discussing suicide with clinicians. If you say something along the lines of, "I'm thinking of suicide", you're fine, that's safe territory. If you say "Once I leave this office I'm going to kill myself", then that's the only instance when you can be forcibly committed. You said you had a particular month in mind. If you bring that up, you'll probably be asked more about it. But I don't see any reason why you'd want to bring that detail up, anyway, because it's irrelevant in regards to easing your suicidal thoughts.

So the confidentiality thing applies so long as you're not an imminent danger to yourself or others.

There's a really basic rule when it comes to discussing suicide with clinicians. If you say something along the lines of, "I'm thinking of suicide", you're fine, that's safe territory. If you say "Once I leave this office I'm going to kill myself", then that's the only instance when you can be forcibly committed. You said you had a particular month in mind. If you bring that up, you'll probably be asked more about it. But I don't see any reason why you'd want to bring that detail up, anyway, because it's irrelevant in regards to easing your suicidal thoughts.

So the confidentiality thing applies so long as you're not an imminent danger to yourself or others.
She already knows about the thoughts and the past attempts. I'm not gonna be like yeah I plan to do x on day y at time z because thats my business and that would essentially cock things up say if I were to go ahead.

So dunno what your implying by that essentially?

I was merely considering mentioning that i'm having more trouble than I let on and that it kinda led to that.

He delves as any therapist/psychologist (presumingly) would do and i'm a sucker.

All I was asking was how it links in with confidentiality and if there are any implications of me saying. I know my post isn't 100% clear but still.

Thanks anyway.

Edit: Sorry if I seem overly snappy or whatever but today is not even the day. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
I was merely considering mentioning that i'm having more trouble than I let on and that it kinda led to that.

He delves as any therapist/psychologist (presumingly) would do and i'm a sucker.

All I was asking was how it links in with confidentiality and if there are any implications of me saying. I know my post isn't 100% clear but still.

Thanks anyway.

Edit: Sorry if I seem overly snappy or whatever but today is not even the day. -_-
I think you would be doing the right thing saying that your current situation has you pushed you to the point.
saying this, should not incur hospitailsation, which is what i'm gathering is your issue/worry.

What was said before, is that your confidentaility clause is it has to be broken if you are in immediate danger to yourself or anyone around you.
as you are not planning for it RIGHT NOW you shouldnt be held for anything.

Can i ask, as i havent seen other posts, what is the lie your living and why cant you break it?

RSKS

She already knows about the thoughts and the past attempts. I'm not gonna be like yeah I plan to do x on day y at time z because thats my business and that would essentially cock things up say if I were to go ahead.

So dunno what your implying by that essentially?

Thanks anyway.

I understand the concern, but you are going to this professional to get help so that you don't feel this way any longer, correct? Give him or her as much information as you can to help. I know that this may seem like a strange analogy, but if you take your car into a mechanic you won't report a problem with the tires but fail to mention the issue with the engine. What will happen then is that the tires will be fixed, the engine will still be messed up, and you'll be unhappy because your car doesn't run right. Same kind of thing. The more information that your therapist has the better he or she can help you resolve the problem.

As far as confidentiality goes, that can vary by location. However, in general the previous post was correct. Confidentiality is broken in cases of imminent risk.

I understand the concern, but you are going to this professional to get help so that you don't feel this way any longer, correct? Give him or her as much information as you can to help. I know that this may seem like a strange analogy, but if you take your car into a mechanic you won't report a problem with the tires but fail to mention the issue with the engine. What will happen then is that the tires will be fixed, the engine will still be messed up, and you'll be unhappy because your car doesn't run right. Same kind of thing. The more information that your therapist has the better he or she can help you resolve the problem.

This is not only the truth, but should be the only way therapy is aproached. this is how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00