me and the marlboros..

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

have been smoking for 47 yrs. lot of history and habits of lighting up.. is killing me and my lungs... costing me almjost $500 a month along with the mini black mild cigars.. doc, eye doc, dentist ,relatives and almost everyone who knows me tells me i got to quit this damn habit.. tried many times unsuccessfully.. got to try another tact for this.. tomorrow going ot try to hold it to just a pack a day.. when waking at midnight or 1am going to wait till the mr coffee is done perking before i lite up.. then one cig only and no damn chaining.. one mini cigar a day only..

will try this for awhile and see if i can do this.. the nicotine smoke on my eyeglasses constantly gives me an idea of just what i am doing to my lungs.. the ashtray groves on the ancient ashtray are complete gone filled with black sludge.. imagine what my insides look like???

do not have lung cancer yet per a recent xray.. time to give quitting a real effort.. john needs me.
  2. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

Best of luck. Maybe you could save up the cigarette money for something? Like a holiday, or a treat, or even something you need.
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

wishing you success jimk...don't give up ok...sounds like a good plan you have this time
    keep us updated
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

thank you both.. sitting here staring at ashtray now.. got another hour till i can smoke the next one. at 1 in the mornign the cigs and the coffee are a habit i have done forever.. lots of habit to fight there. this is going to take some time to work at breaking this darn habit..
  5. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

If smoking and drinking coffee in the wee hours is your thing, could you change your timetable a bit, get up earlier and go to bed earlier maybe? I wonder would that be possible? If it was possible to change the habits around smoking maybe it would help with changing/eliminating the smoking habit....? Keep up the good work!! Hope you are feeling ok as well. :)
  6. letty

letty Banned Member

Hi jimk you had asked if I was a smoker, I used to smoke and i know how that first morning
    cigarette is, and the first cup of coffee . I think you have a good plan going. Thats good to hear that
    you dont have cancer. you have smoked for a long time but its still possible to quit. dont give up.
  7. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

thanks letty.. glad to hear you are a former smoker.. way to go and congrats.. having a burp today with the darn cigs.. will get on back on the cutdown routine tomorrow..
  8. letty

letty Banned Member

Thank you , Your doing a awesome job just take it one day at a time, I remember I chewed alot of gum.
    its a good thing what your doing not only for you but for your son also. hang in there
  9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

From another former smoker to you Jim: You can do it.

It may take time. My sister is working to quit, and I've successfully quit. However I am debating going back, because it silenced the voices. I guess they were happy with the damage they were causing either way.

In the end, it was all you my friend. Look forward to that sense of accomplishment when you finally do quit.

You can do it Jim!
  10. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Cutting back will certainly help Jim. Maybe nicotine replacements might help too.

I've heard that support helps the most. I had a friend that called one of those 1-800-quit lines and he said it was very helpful. He said they called him every few days to talk to him about how he was doing. Talking about it to a support team seemed to really help him. In the end he started smoking again, but I think he made it 2 months or so (and it really surprised me that he did).

I think you never stop quitting though. I've been using an ecig for quite some time but I still get the urge and smoke every so often. The hard part is just not giving up.
  11. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

All POWER to you Jim, you are doing the VERY BEST for yourself and your son :)

If the temptation to break your plan hits you, ask yourself this very empowering question: IS MY LIFE (OR WILL MY LIFE BE) BETTER WITH THIS DISGUSTING/EXPENSIVE/ETC. HABIT, OR WILL IT BE WORSE?

The plain answer is that you will be richer and healthier by cutting down and quitting - of course you knew that already, but the smoker inside of you needs to be convinced - all the time - to get him on your side, hun. Tell that smoker inside that you're not going to allow him to damage your health/wallet any longer. :)
  12. champie

champie Well-Known Member

I was just roaming my apartment after a cigarette thinking that I should have another cigarette! So, I decided to head over to this sub-forum and see what others had to say...

I have no good advice since I have the same problem. On July 26 I quit but it only lasted 10 days this time. I've quit for 3-10 days 3 times this year. I smoked about 30 filter less hand-rolled cigarettes a day.

My biggest problem with quitting is that I try to quit everything at once and add exercise. Sure, it can be great for a week but I find that my quitting falls like dominoes. First I decide to get coffee or a soda, then I eat some junk food (stop preparing my own healthy meals) soon followed by not engaging in exercise (roaming the internet), then ultimately buying a pack of tobacco. At that point I am right back in the same scene I started - drinking soda and eating fast food between cigarettes while sitting at the computer.

So, where am I at now? I actually have a bit of a scare going on with possible skin cancer area (I live in Arizona and I hate the summers). The last 3 days I have restarted taking at least one multivitamin and a super green supplement. In addition I add ChloroOxygen to water and drink that down. Today I refused to buy soda, coffee, or fast food and instead went to the grocery store and bought some stuff I enjoy but is not junk. Fruit, eggs, cheese, ground turkey, stuff like that. I'm not trying to go on a diet, just needed food around to avoid the hungry rush to fast food places. I mixed some juice from canned fruit with water all day and that seems to have been satisfactory for now.

I decided that I would finish the tobacco I have left (which is maybe 3-4 more cigarettes) rather than rush out tonight before the last place I can buy it closes. What will tomorrow bring? I have no idea, but I am making quitting smoking less of a priority than the other stuff?

Why? It seems to me, for me, that all the other things I do to abuse my body and mind create an environment conducive to smoking. This time I'm going to try to slowly strip away the things that make smoking so easy. Others have said the same thing - "Just start doing stuff and you'll find that you smoke less or even don't want to smoke."

Anyway, good luck man! I'll be praying for both of us to find the success we seek! Keep posting your progress or regress, either way, we all benefit from the dialog!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.