meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oval

im considering eating meat again. i eat eggs, nuts and beans and tofu from time to time but my body feels so unhealthy.
i feel like i have an insufficiency of nutrients. but then theres the mental blockade and the fear that i will hate myself if i do try some meat again. i feel as if i need something though.

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Hi Loud Silence,

I have two sisters (one who is still a vegetarian and one who only eats chicken and seafood now). My parents often worry about their health and whether they are eating a balanced diet.

Do you plan what you eat and have some sort of model or guideline for how you eat on a daily basis? If not, maybe you can check to see if there's any type of nutrient or food that is missing from your diet.

Also, is eating meat something you don't ever want to do again?

Alex

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
My niece and sister are vegans. They probably get enough vitamins in what they eat, but they still take iron tablets, and I think they still take a multi-vitamin "just in case."

Low blood iron (anemia) can you make you feel like hell. Been there, done that.

Your doctor can order a very simple blood test to find out. If you see your doc, ask him or her to check your "ferritin" level as well as a red cell count.

oval

thanks for the quick reply alex.
most days i eat oat meal or rice for break fast, salad, a sandwish or vegetables for lunch and dinner.
i made a list of foods that contain iron, calcium, protein etc. and i try to somewhat have a balanced diet. though i barely eat any fat (from cheese and milk only).
if i was to eat meat again it would probably be chicken as well.
i would rather not eat meat again bc of the way it makes me feel knowing that i dont eat any. makes me feel at peace with the world lol
i hear everywhere that being vegetarian in the long run isnt healthy at all. i just recently hear that lou gehrig's disease is commen among vegetarians :mellow:
and i know other vegetarians that are in their 30s now and have been vegs for years and they look like death

Speedy

Staff Alumni
Blimey, both options don't sound too appealing to you. Kinda like a double-edged sword. :ohmy: Maybe this can be like choosing the lesser of two evils! :)

oval

My niece and sister are vegans. They probably get enough vitamins in what they eat, but they still take iron tablets, and I think they still take a multi-vitamin "just in case."

Low blood iron (anemia) can you make you feel like hell. Been there, done that.

Your doctor can order a very simple blood test to find out. If you see your doc, ask him or her to check your "ferritin" level as well as a red cell count.
oops you were faster than me.
thank you for the insight acy. yeah im gonna talk to a doctor about it.
im taking centrum vitamin pills and calcium pills already but i still hear that most of those supplements arent sufficient to give you the nutrients that your missing out on.

alex, yeah it doesnt seem too bright does it lol if i really was at risk of getting lou gehrig's, i'd probably eat meat in a heart beat.

bhawk

im considering eating meat again. i eat eggs, nuts and beans and tofu from time to time but my body feels so unhealthy.
i feel like i have an insufficiency of nutrients. but then theres the mental blockade and the fear that i will hate myself if i do try some meat again. i feel as if i need something though.
Eating meat is a great idea, although its always good to get well sourced food, game meats are a great source of food, being very very healthy meats too and full of flavour unlike the chicken/pork that you get in supermarkets. It can also be a lot cheaper than most other foods, i buy full deer for only a few pounds.
Game meats are the most humane meats, the animals having lived a natural life and dispatched in a humane way.

oval

i dont think im quite therrre yet. but let me thank you in advance bhawk, should i really decide to eat meat again :smile:

oval

So.. being sick of being sick, i tried chicken again yesterday.
It was very hard to over come my fear of eating meat again. And tbh, it was nasty. Apperantly i had forgotten what it tasted like and i couldnt handle the taste.
It felt wrong and i felt guilty. I used to eat meat and never had a problem with it. Now i cant imagine how i was able to.
For my peace of mind, i really dont want to eat meat. But i need a better balanced diet so i can be healthy in my later years. I still feel like theres something missing. I havent been to a doctor yet but i will make an appointment for next week!

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
I have friends who have been veggies for years.
Apparently its all about getting the balance right.
Have a word with your doc, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Also, add lentils to your diet.

terry's right - its all about balance.

the doc or a nutritionist should be able to help out if you are struggling to get the balance right as a vegetarian.

my husband has been a vegan for over 20 years and i am a vegetarian. i have unrelated health issues but other than that our diets are perfectly good and don't affect health. in fact its been shown that provided the balance is right then vegetarianism is actually healthier than eating meat. the chances of some serious illnesses and diseases are far less if you don't eat meat.

as terry said - lentils are great - they contain much of the things you might be lacking in your diet. they are like a wonder food for a vegetarian.

no reason why you can't be healthy or even healthier than meat eaters whilst being a veggie.

pppqp

though i barely eat any fat (from cheese and milk only).
You gotta eat more fat (proper proportion for your body). You body is craving fat. Eating too little fat makes you hungry and feel unhealthy.
We have enough protein from grains and beans each day. Please continue to be vegetarian or vegan if you can. You'll be at peace knowing that you can live without inflicting pain, directly or not, to other lives. Our digestive system and teeth are proofs that humans are meant to eat only plant.

alexman

Banned Member
we are built to eat meat and its nothing wrong with it but if u still feel bad for how they treat the animals eat free range or wild meat

oval

its not about how they treat animals. the thought of eating something that was once alive disgusts me. its like eating a human to me

oval

yeah i thought this would come lol thats what they always say. theres a diffrence between animals and plants to me. i do not have a problem eating a plant bc i just cant have an emotional "relationship" with a plant. and i want to add, i have to survive so i have to eat something.

pppqp

we are built to eat meat and its nothing wrong with it
No, we are not.

Look here:

What Does SCIENCE Teach Us?
Compare Humans, to Animals, that eat MEAT: the Human body,
compared to that of a Carnivore’s, an Omnivore’s and a Herbivore’s.
The Human body is more like that of a Herbivore’s body!

►FRONT TEETH:
Carnivores are sharp and pointed for tearing.
Humans & Herbivores are broad, flattened & spade shaped.

►BACK MOLARS:
Carnivores are jagged and blade shaped.
Humans are flattened with nodular cusps.
Herbivores are flat with cusps vs complex surface.

►SALIVA:
Carnivores no digestive enzymes.
Humans & Herbivores have carbohydrate digesting enzymes.

►STOMACH ACID:
Carnivores have stronger stomach acids to break down meat.
Humans & Herbivores stomach acid is 20x weaker than Carnivores.
In fact, it is about 5% the strength of a Carnivores.

►SMALL INTESTINES:
Carnivores are short, 3x their body length. [for quick digestion]
Humans & Herbivores are long, 10-12x their body length. [for slower digestion]

►LARGE INTESTINES:
Carnivores are short.
Humans & Herbivores are long.

►SKIN PORES:
Carnivores no skin pores, perspire through their tongues.
Humans have skin pores, perspire through skin.

►NAILS:
Carnivores have sharp claws.
Humans have flattened nails.
Herbivores flattened nails or blunt hooves.

AND…A True Meat-Eater Will Eat Their Meat RAW!

Taken from The Bible’s Take On Eating Meat.

nope humans aren't "supposed" to eat meat, their digestive system did not evolve as a carnivore.

nothing unhealthy about being a veggie. ive known life long vegans who are perfectly healthy and actually if we are talking research - much research has said that given a balanced veggie diet it is much more healthy than eating meat. can find you lots of articles if you would like. but balance is really important and making sure you get sources of everything you need :)

it is entirely possible to have a vegetarian diet and be still healthy and balanced and etc. i have friends who have been vegetarian their entire lives and are incredibly healthy.

i notice you havent included lentils. they're good, and quinoa, too -- quinoa is a complete protein source and if i remember rightly it has a decent amount of iron (which could make up for lackof meat). try chia seeds too -- they taste like nothing and you can add them in anything without noticin any real difference.

a compromise could be to only have a small amount of meat -- it's what i do -- my parents have been vegetarian for a good few years now. when they first started not eating meat, i reckon cause they're older so they had different nutritional needs, they were fine, but i was always STARVING cause they reduced a whole heap of other stuff (milk, cheese, carbs) so it really wasn't a balanced diet for me (or for them, but they seemed pretty fine o.0). getting sick of feeling sick (lol), i complained to mum and we did some research and now i'm on a balanced almost-vegetarian diet: the only time i eat meat is when im not at home, and even then i don't eat much of it (was never much a fan of meat to start with, but it makes life easier to just eat it sometimes, ie you dont want to offend your host or something).

i hope you get something worked out.

TDM

*edit* out of curiousity, do you still have dairy?

Last edited by a moderator:

oval

thanks for the input guys. yeah i eat dairy, lntils and eggs. there isnt much of a choice when it comes to soy products where i live. fortunately im moving soon and will be able to include more tofu in my diet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00