Media's Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
There has been some argument that people determine what the media reports and covers. Others say that media dictates what the public will read. Here's an email I received:

A Harley biker is riding by the zoo in Vancouver, when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter under the eyes of her screaming parents.
The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl. The biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter watched the whole event. Addressing the Harley rider he says "Sir that was the most gallant and brave thing I've ever seen a man do in my whole life". The Harley rider replies. "Why it was nothing really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right."

The reporter says "Well I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page. So tell me a little about yourself." The biker replies " I'm an off duty RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) member on holidays." The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions and reads on the front page

Off Duty Mountie Assaults African Immigrant And Steals His Lunch

And that pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days.

Is it what they think we need to see is or that is what will sell the paper? If the headline had read

Police Officer Saves Young Girl
would you have been certain to find that on the front page? Media has slowly changed our morals, ethics and how we view the world. What do you think?

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
There has been some argument that people determine what the media reports and covers. Others say that media dictates what the public will read
Seems the same question remains , although that is a brilliant analogy to bring the topic to focus. Did the media make that change to try to disparage the biker/RCMP with a political agenda or did they change the headline because that is what will sell the newspapers (ie what the public wants or is interested in) and failing to sell the newspapers will reduce circulation, which will reduce advertising revenue and jeopardize their ability to stay solvent and provide any news coverage at all? There have been hundreds of newspapers that have gone bankrupt in the last 40 years, beginning even before the advent on the internet, and it applies equally to other media sources. The ones that remain are focused solely on market share. While fair honest reporting would be a refreshing change, it tends not to pay the bills very well .......

While fair honest reporting would be a refreshing change, it tends not to pay the bills very well .......
That's the shocking statement of our society these days. We seem to feast upon the shock the guts and the gore of all kinds of bad stories and such, which is why the goodness then seems to go unnoticed (we have a yearly show this side of the atlantic called the "Pride of Britain Awards" which does recognise some of those who do the unsung work - but it's nowhere near enough for what is actually done).

It's no different to the "sex sells" in terms of imagery for youths to follow similar patterns (12 year olds dressed like Miley/Rihanna etc) - and then after that the parents get the blame for allowing their kids to dress that way - when ultimately the media machine hasn't exactly helped but refuses to take responsibility for their part.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
That's the shocking statement of our society these days. We seem to feast upon the shock the guts and the gore of all kinds of bad stories and such, which is why the goodness then seems to go unnoticed (we have a yearly show this side of the atlantic called the "Pride of Britain Awards" which does recognise some of those who do the unsung work - but it's nowhere near enough for what is actually done).

It's no different to the "sex sells" in terms of imagery for youths to follow similar patterns (12 year olds dressed like Miley/Rihanna etc) - and then after that the parents get the blame for allowing their kids to dress that way - when ultimately the media machine hasn't exactly helped but refuses to take responsibility for their part.
What is even more shocking is that we as a world wide society have let ourselves be drawn into these media traps in the first place and that we do nothing to change the situation. It isn't just the media machine that needs to take responsibility but society too. Parents getting blamed for "allowing" their kids to follow the horrible examples of morals and ethics of such people as Miley and company. They should be ashamed that they themselves jumped on the media wagon so long ago that they now allow the media to dictate what is wrong or right for their own child! People have gotten too damn lazy to bother to raise their own children. Rather let them be babysat by the TV, game playing consoles, internet and the influences of their peers, than take the time and make the effort to show todays kids the difference between right from wrong and how to build self esteem and self confidence in and for themselves. Scenario:

Mom! Dad! The latest GTA, #5 is out tomorrow. You gotta get me one! Everyone else will be getting it. Sitting outside a store in the cold and dark so that they can be one of the first to get it at 12am! Be glad I'm not expecting that from you. I'm happy with being one of the poor bastards that gets it after the store opens to the general public.

But you're only 12! Isn't that game rated adult? Somebody, somewhere said it has some pretty um sexy stuff and a lot of blood and gore. And it is so far fetched and unrealistic.

Yeah it's an adult game, but I'm just gonna play the damn game and not pay any attention to the f*ckin' killing, the hos', the gang banger heroes and mafia thugs, the drugs, racial slurs and the rest of the stuff. AND I can make some real friends from around the world with the internet connection! Just $70 and you get all this stuff for me. If you don't get it I'm going to report you for child abuse and neglecting to supply the basic necessities of life! So get off your ass and go buy it...NOW!

Huh? Sorry was watching my show. You want a game? Sure. How much and I hope I don't have to get up and go out to get it.

Years later mom and dad's precious little baby is arrested for attempted sexual assault and grand theft over $5000. Their lament...it's the way the world has gotten. It stole our baby from us. He has always been a quiet kid and never disturb anyone. He spent all his time indoors and never bothered the neighbourhood. This is all the media's fault for not teaching our children morals!

So media keeps publishing what the public has been trained into believing they want. The public complains about all the unsuitable content being served up by the media. The media keeps supplying the excuses that the public keep using. Sounds more like you scratch my back I'll scratch yours rather than a society that really cares enough to do anything about changing the situation.

justMe7

The media's a very dangerous thing especially for people who see life through it. It's at best meant to give you a general understanding of the situation, and as individuals we need to hold true to the fact that these are just other individuals interpreting situations and regurgitating them to us through their own filters and biasim.

If you're really interested in something, then you need to go talk to the people who actually deal with it on a day to day basis or who are directly involved. Even then, you're getting someone elses opinion. The media is designing itself to be more of a mental stimulant rather then an active productive tool. Atleast somethings are highlighted, but the taint of personal/political gain is smeared throughout the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00