Medical Assessment?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Avarice, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to one of these (more specially, in the UK). I've been asked back to have a medical assessment to see if I'm elegible for ESA which is like incapacity benefit here in the UK, and I'm really worried that they'll say I don't need it and make me get a job. Thing is, even the thought of getting a job; going out and being amongst strangers every day, scares me to goddamn death. If I get told I can't claim for ESA anymore then it'll push me to end my life even more. I'm frightened that this is going to happen and I'm just not sure what to do.. I know the obvious answer is to be honest with them at the assessment, but I did that on the form they sent me to do that would tell them if I need an assessment or not and obviously it wasn't good enough because I've been told I need one. What do I say? I don't want to lie, but if they don't see my current problems as good enough then should I overexaggerate just to ensure they realise the seriousness of my problems? I know I can't exactly be on ESA for the rest of my life, but I was hoping at least until my CBT therapy had kicked in a little bit. >_<

Has anyone been to one of these and if so, what did you say and what happened then? What do you think I should do? I feel lower than I have in a while because of this. Surely they must know that doing this to someone with depression and anxiety isn't exactly going to help things? x__x

2. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

Hi hon..Not been to an assessment for benefits but have had several assessments regarding fitness to practice my profession (Nursing) & have always found that if you are open & honest they tend to be pretty much ok..

My only fear was the usual "Two Dr's in the room" rule which is the minimal requirement for sectioning..But I very much doubt that will be an issue.

If you want to guild the lily you could always ensure you wear no make up and just allow yourself to be open enough for them to see how distressed you are..esp outlining any social anxieties you may be feeling (Agrrophobia etc) and it would have to be a damn heartless Dr who would refuse you

Beyond that I cannot really offer any more help..

Let me know if this is helpful & if I can try to find anymore information out for you, I shall

Peaceful thoughts hon x

3. Avarice

Thank you very very much for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out.

I don't ever wear make up anyway so I don't think that'll be a problem and I guess I just need to work on being more forward so that when I get there I don't stress out and forget to tell them things. The issue I have with doctors and the like is that my mind goes blank when around figures or authority so usually I can never figure out the words to say to let them know what's going on with me.

Your reply was very helpful and has helped ease my mind a bit about this situation. I'm just paranoid that they're doing this because they don't believe me, but that's probably mostly my negative assumptions.

4. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

That is a reasonable assumption to make hon..I know that when I am in the presence of a doctor away from my work environment I feel the same way (When I am in scrubs & at work I bully the hell out of them..lol...)

Try to write down bullet pointed notes before you go so you can get it straight in your head what needs to be said...And remember that they are human too..Not some Omnipotent power..If you feel yourself slipping away, do not be afraid to let it out and cry..It only proves to them how distressing the situation is & how difficult you are finding it to cope..

In the end, you will make yourself understood...

I am still looking for more information for you online and will pass it on as & if I find it..When is your assessment?

Feel free to drop me a pm if you want a shoulder to lean on or someone to share your load..

Peaceful thoughts to thee hon x

5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Fact is no matter what, anyone who applies for ESA now has to automatically go for a medical assessment. Basically what happens is this. On the form im guessing you put down your GP's details which they will have at the interview. If you put down your psych's details then they will also have access to that as well. truth of the matter is its damn near impossible to get ESA these days unless you have a very very serious mental illness.

Best advice i can give is this, if they turn you down, appeal. 60% of those who appeal are successful.

6. Avarice

Thanks for the advice you both, and also for the PM, SweetVitriol. My assessment is on the 23rd of September, so in around two weeks time. I've spoken to an old friend of mine who's on ESA at the moment for the same reasons as me and has been for over a year, and she's given me some advice which will help a lot as well. I'll definitely appeal if they turn me down and the bullet point idea is probably something I should definitely do so thanks! :]

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I agree with points that have been made. When I'm preparing for an interview or something I usually practice what I'm going to say and have a few conversations with myself.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with exaggerating a little as long as it's not too far from the truth, sometimes you have to take the extra step to get the help you deserve.
    Good luck for it. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.