Medical Attention?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ThePhantomLady, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I won't go into too many details on the open forum... as I don't wish to 'inspire' people to be as stupid as me.

But I have a very deep wound on my hand now... I started it on Tuesday and 'finished' Thursday after 4 episodes... It might also have a form of chemical burn effect to it...

And of course, now it's infected. It hurts like hell using my hand, the skin around it is tight, red and warm.

Am I forced to seek medical attention now? Or is there ways I can deal with this at home? I would always advice anyone else to go to the ER or their own doctor... but I'm not too hooked on the idea myself.

Going to the ER involves a risk of meeting and even being treated by former co-workers. (the joys of having worked at a hospital as a secretary) and I could never pass this off as an accident. It's too clear this was self-inflicted.

Usually my wounds haven't been this deep, and it's 10 years since I hurt my other hand and that was nowhere as deep as this.

Or can the nurse at my GP's office have a look at it? If I really must go somewhere...

I feel dumb...

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi hun, yes you definitely need medical attention. At the very least please see the nurse at your GP's office and let them decide what the best course of action is. I'm sorry you felt the need to cut this badly and so severely. I feel for you. Please get it seen to so it can be bandaged and clean up and anti septic can be applied. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you have walk in clinics in your area go in and get the wound looked at and dressed ok you do not want permanent damage to muscle or tendons in the hand

2 people like this.
  4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I'll call my doctors office in the morning I think. I'll see what they say.

I really, really want to avoid the ER. This is shameful enough without the risk of facing my old colleagues

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is not for them to judge you ok what is important is for you to get the care you need and deserve hell with what they think hun you take care of you there is no need to be embarrassed you are ill and you deserve compassion

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.