Medically a mess but not as bad as others

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by cymbele, Jul 18, 2015.

1. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Hi

I'm a medical mess.

I spoke to my pdoc yesterday telling him that I wasn't sure the generic drug I was put on was doing its job and that I was feeling suicidal and had an episode of crying over really nothing (loneliness and loss of a companion) for many hours and that I hadn't done that in a while. He poo pooed the idea and said to give it some time.

Then the gp office called and said that my potassium was too high (I just had blood work done). I researched it and high potassium could result in muscle dysfunction, and an indicator of diabetes. Then I got the rest of the results of the blood work and my cholesterol took a high jump in the "bad area" and blood glucose (an indicator of diabetes again) was well high beyond "normal." So I am going to get a chat about food choices and weight control -something I have been battling the past 15 years on my own.

I realize that I could have cancer and/or lots of other medical problems but if I had cancer I would go quietly into that good night forget chemo. Now I have to live with all these problems. Again could be worse. But if I was feeling ok and not suicidal I would be battling this new problem and really I don't care. Maybe I'll cancel the apt with the gp.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi cymbele,

I am sorry you are going through this, i've been through the mill with medical tests, the best advice I can give to you is don't use dr.google cos you will add 2 and 2 and get 5. I convinced myself I had addisons disease last year because all the tests were pointing towards that, i didn't have it. And on wednesday this week I will be going through synachten testing (cortisol).

Whatever you have we will be here for you and you can talk vent rant away, just try to use dr google less :) Best of luck to you.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Side effects of untreated diabetes can plainly make your life very miserable. I know you already know that just get it checked out as itll save you unnecessary later on. Having cancer is not even a pinic, people lose their dignity in the end. It is very sad. I dont think people talk about loss of dignity of life when people go through terminal illnesses.

Medications can be our worst enemy and if you feel your medications isnt working then ask to change a different one, your in charge of it not your pdoc. Or if your doc isnt listening to you maybe consider changing a different pdoc.