Medication advice?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by tiggersafire, Nov 9, 2013.

1. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I've been on 7 different antipsychotics. Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Loxapine, Nozinan, Haldol, and Chlorpromazine. None of them have worked, or they've worked for a little while then have stopped working. I see my psychiatrist on the 18th, next Monday, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of antipsychotics that my grandma and I could suggest to her that have worked well for you? A doctor in emergency had suggested Abilify or Saphris, but as I mentioned before I have taken Abilify, at the highest daily dose, and it didn't work at all.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Geodon i don't think the spelling is right though is an older psychotic med it may work the older psychotic meds seem to help the most Abilify is usually used as an add on to another psychotic med so maybe that is why it did not work to well not on its own

3. tiggersafire

Yeah I found Haldol really helpful for about a year, it just kinda stopped working recently, and it's an older one. Chlorpromazine really helps me sleep and it's good for emergencies but I find it only lasts a few hours. Another old one. Thanks TE, I'll be sure to talk to my grandma about suggesting Geodon.

4. total eclipse

What about Zeldox it is a newer medication one that causes some people to lose alot of weight it has to be monitored very closely by you pdoc also have you tried injection forms of anti psychotics they seem to work better only because with injection you don't get the ups and downs like when taking pill form if you forget to take them

5. tiggersafire

I've never heard of Zeldox before. I take my meds at all different times every day, my grandma said that can mess you up. I wanted to try injections but I think they only do them here when you're not med compliant.

6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Olanzapine is a very good drug with fewer side effects than many others that is used alone or in combination with the other drugs often. Worth reading up on or asking about ...

7. total eclipse

Not so they can try the injections if the oral meds are not working ask your doc ok
    Zeldox is one of the newest anti psychotic meds Some it works well on others not so well so speak to your doc ok

8. tiggersafire

Thanks NY, I've heard Olanzapine causes rapid weight gain though, and my doctor took me off Seroquel because of that, but I will ask her anyway. TE, I can ask about injections, Zeldox, and Geodon. I just want something that will actually work for a little longer. I hope my doctor and I can find that.

9. tiggersafire

I called my psychiatrist this morning.. I am supposed to see her on Monday.. And she is in a meeting until 12:30, but they said she would call me back. I am a little nervous as to ask her about my meds over the phone, but according to my grandpa she said I could at our last appointment.. I don't know if she will just raise them or completely change them, but we will see.

10. tiggersafire

I saw my psychiatrist today... She had me write down all the antipsychotics I've ever been on, then chose Zeldox, which is apparently called Geodon in the US. It's quite pricey. 20mg twice daily with meals. So hopefully it works. I see her in two weeks to have the Zeldox dose raised, and the Haldol dose lowered. Eventually I won't be taking Haldol anymore. She took me off the Thorazine too, both at night and as needed. But anyway, thanks for the advice guys! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013