Medication compliance

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I recently changed the way I take my medication. I'm on lyrica, zyprexa, diazepam, lexapro and sertraline and I recently figured out that I was taking my medication wrongly. I was taking them as needed (anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety).Sometimes taking more than prescribed too. I am now taking them as a preventative, I have been doing this now for 8 days and I feel on top of the world. I'm like a new person, my sister told me I have had a personality change lol. Do you take your medication properly? As prescribed? When needed? Please share, you could be taking them wrongly by accident like I was. Let's talk about medication compliance =)

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

I'm glad you found this out, and I'm happy it's made such a difference :) great stuff!!!!

CandleLight and Northern like this.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Been avoiding medications for over a year now. But since car accident in Jan I'm on headache medications and pain medications and going downhill fast. I don't know what to do anymore honestly don't want medications or dealing with any doctors

4. alexiii01

alexiii01 New Member

No I never take medications as prescribed. I did for a while when forced to and had severe side effects. I only got physically healthy again after detoxing myself of them. I was on massive doses of antipsychotics, including at one point a depot injection that gave me severe akathisia. I take Venlafaxine every day but reduced the dose myself as I know myself and how it was affecting me and it was making me manic, and affecting my sleep and impulse control badly. I'm supposed to take 3mg of Risperidone every day too, but I know if I did that I would be a zombie. I took half that dose for a couple of months but gave it up for fear of becoming totally dependant on it. My psych said it is ok to use episodically anyway, which I think is better as IMO anti-psychotics are highly unpleasant drugs And should only be used in the case of a severe crisis. IMO there is no reason for me to take them as a way to ward off symptoms. They just make me tired and un-motivated.

5. Kimberley

Kimberley New Member

I have never took m├ędication.

6. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am always forgetting to take my meds when I should. I mentioned it not long ago to my psych and he not only changed my meds he also arranged for them to be available to me in a medipac. I now pick them up every week in a sealed plastic container that is split into sections of days and times. All the pills are in the right place and all I have to do is pop the cellophane and take them. A quick look tells me if I have taken something or not.

I am a little bugga though. I experiment a lot with meds. I take more, then less, then at different times, then miss them for a couple of weeks, all just to see if anything makes me feel any better. I used to think my balance problems were medication related, they aren't. I stopped taking everything for a month about 7 yrs ago and it made no difference whatsoever.

I just wish the depression meds would settle down and have some effect on my current mood. But maybe they aren't the real answer, I am starting to think that lies elsewhere.

7. eye8

eye8 Member

I do the best I can to take the medications as told but sometimes I just don't want to. I am not sure why but that is just what happens.

8. baywasp

baywasp The crappiest rugger

I go back and forth with med compliance. If I get into the habit of taking them, I tend to be pretty good about it, but when something changes with my schedule or whatever, I get thrown off. Like with my move, I've barely taken them since I left San Francisco last week.
    That happens to me sometimes too.