• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Medication, does it work for you?

The Undertaker

Try me, I'll make you famous!!!
I'm asking this because again my mental health expert if you will who is assigned to me has frequently asked me to go back on antidepressants and I again refuse, I'm very open and honest with them why I'm not taking them they know I'm not looking far into the future and they definitely know I'm contemplating suicide for issues I've mentioned in my Entry Post in the Welcome section of this forum, but they are not very happy with me for not taking their advice.

For those of you who are on antidepressants or any other medication for mental health, do you feel they really work or do you feel they are there to make people think it's making a positive difference in their lives?

I've stopped taking because primarily I don't think they work, I have been on 5 different antidepressants in previous 5 years for around 8 months and I didn't feel a difference and all I get said back to me is "you're not helping yourself" and "you're your own worst enemy"

But do people on here think they aren't really an antidepressant or does some think they actually make a difference? I understand everyone is different but I'd like to get to know your thoughts.

Feeling_Lost

cymbele

SF Supporter
Back when I started anti-depressants, after the initial week with Prozac, I didn't feel any different so I quit them. My family said that they noticed a change, I was more irritable and morose than when i was on them. So after the divorce and suicide attempt, I decided that while I had medical insurance I would take them since they had an effect. I still take them even though I am now alone and can't be irritable with anyone that I live with. I figure why rock the boat since I'm feeling so good. Or normal. Or whatever. I think I would be a lonely depressed person if I weren't taking them - now I am just lonely.

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
Hi and welcome I can talk to this as someone who has just started Anti-Depressants some called Sertraline been on it for a week now it takes a a couple of weeks for them to work in full according to my doc so far the only side effects I have is my internal temp is raised and the make me sleep which is normal according to my Doc I will not be able to give you an idea on if they work for me till I have taken them for longer

Trust me I had the same worries as you when taking them I waited a week before I started and read up on everything I could if they offer you them I would take them most people who have took them have advised me that when the time comes I will feel better from them

The Undertaker

Back when I started anti-depressants, after the initial week with Prozac, I didn't feel any different so I quit them. My family said that they noticed a change, I was more irritable and morose than when i was on them. So after the divorce and suicide attempt, I decided that while I had medical insurance I would take them since they had an effect. I still take them even though I am now alone and can't be irritable with anyone that I live with. I figure why rock the boat since I'm feeling so good. Or normal. Or whatever. I think I would be a lonely depressed person if I weren't taking them - now I am just lonely.
I'm very sorry you are alone, a divorce can't have been easy especially if you really loved that person so much.

The Undertaker

Hi and welcome I can talk to this as someone who has just started Anti-Depressants some called Sertraline been on it for a week now it takes a a couple of weeks for them to work in full according to my doc so far the only side effects I have is my internal temp is raised and the make me sleep which is normal according to my Doc I will not be able to give you an idea on if they work for me till I have taken them for longer

Trust me I had the same worries as you when taking them I waited a week before I started and read up on everything I could if they offer you them I would take them most people who have took them have advised me that when the time comes I will feel better from them
Before I continue, Y.N.W.A........................ Celtic fan here!!!!!

Sertraline was one of the ones I was on, but after a 6 months I told doctors I'm not prepared to continue so they asked me to do same as others and take it to 8th month then if I still feel the same I can stop taking them.

For me I felt nothing positive from them

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
As my doctor said it will take 2 weeks for me to feel the effect in full not sure if they effect everyone in different ways also they said that if these dont fully work they can give me others hope you can find some that work for you

The Undertaker

As my doctor said it will take 2 weeks for me to feel the effect in full not sure if they effect everyone in different ways also they said that if these dont fully work they can give me others hope you can find some that work for you
I had tried 4 others prior to Sertraline, Fluoxtine, Peroxitine are 2 of the 4, the other 3 I can't remember the title but 3 years I was on Sertraline, before that was Fluoxtine, and before that was Peroxitine

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
I had tried 4 others prior to Sertraline, Fluoxtine, Peroxitine are 2 of the 4, the other 3 I can't remember the title but 3 years I was on Sertraline, before that was Fluoxtine, and before that was Peroxitine
Sorry its not working for you I cannot really advise you as I am at the start of my journey with the meds

The Undertaker

Sorry its not working for you I cannot really advise you as I am at the start of my journey with the meds
That is fine I understand everyone is different, I hope they help you I truly do but for me I didn't see any noticeable improvements and despite being honest and upfront with them they still ask me to reconsider................. which I'm standing firm and saying no

I'm sorry that medication has not worked for you so far despite trying so many different antidepressants for so long.

I'm not advising you not to take the advice of your healthcare provider. However, if you're refusing to take antidepressants again, there are some other treatment methods you might like to try.

There's some information about alternative treatment methods and self-treatment methods in these two links:

Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, World's Second Largest Medical System

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous

You could also ask your doctor if you'd be eligible for treatments like rTMS or ECT. There's some information about these two treatments and other conventional treatments in this link:

Treating Depression - Conventional Treatments

In principle, you could also take conventional medications and get alternative treatments at the same time, but both your conventional and alternative healthcare providers should be informed of your treatment plans.

The Undertaker

In principle, you could also take conventional medications and get alternative treatments at the same time, but both your conventional and alternative healthcare providers should be informed of your treatment plans.
I'm past the stage of trying new antidepressants and other methods

I've taken wellbutrin and some other one in my early to mid 20s though I don't remember if I felt better. I did gain more weight as a sideeffect. I didn't take them for long. I stopped when I realized I didn't want to rely on them, and decided to better myself by changing my thinking around (alot of it was blocking out the negative and using distractions and just not thinking at all). Anti-depressants are necessary for those who have more severe cases of depression/illnesses. I have a close sibling who has borderline personality disorder and he refuses therapy, but I think he requires medication for sure to be functional...

Jude

I'm asking this because again my mental health expert if you will who is assigned to me has frequently asked me to go back on antidepressants and I again refuse, I'm very open and honest with them why I'm not taking them they know I'm not looking far into the future and they definitely know I'm contemplating suicide for issues I've mentioned in my Entry Post in the Welcome section of this forum, but they are not very happy with me for not taking their advice.

For those of you who are on antidepressants or any other medication for mental health, do you feel they really work or do you feel they are there to make people think it's making a positive difference in their lives?

I've stopped taking because primarily I don't think they work, I have been on 5 different antidepressants in previous 5 years for around 8 months and I didn't feel a difference and all I get said back to me is "you're not helping yourself" and "you're your own worst enemy"

But do people on here think they aren't really an antidepressant or does some think they actually make a difference? I understand everyone is different but I'd like to get to know your thoughts.

Feeling_Lost
Yes they help me tremendously. It can take years to find the right med or combinations of meds and some people are “medication resistant” and don’t get any results, but for the most part they do help. I don’t feel too much different taking them but if I try to go off of them, I feel major depression right away.

Feeling_Lost
Hello
Yes I have been on antidepressants many years and they help extremely well. I have been on antidepressants for over 24 years. There are many kinds of depression. Depression can also be a symptom of another mental illness. I was misdiagnosed with depression and only put on an antidepressant. I still had breakthroughs of depression and often had to have my medicine upped or changed to another brand. Years later I had a breakdown and was properly diagnosed with bipolar. I was then put on an antidepressant and antipsychotic. Alone an antidepressant lifts your depression and life is worth living again. You can laugh and smile. Sometimes one has to try different brands and different dosages to find their “happy place”. The only thing you need to watch out for is an allergic reaction like any other medication. You have to start off on a small dose and slowly build up to the milligram that works for you. This takes time and many people think this medicine isn’t working. But you have to build up to the working dose and sometimes after that you might need to raise the dose again. My personal experience with depression is I would rather be on medicine than off medicine and living in hell .

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
Mine have come along i dont have any bad stuff now like the overheating thing has my only worry now is my therapist and doc have never told me how long to take them closet i git was 6 months then see how they are for you but there working great now dont get really bad depression to the point of suic ideas and modt big emotions are dulled to a normal level

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$125.00
Goal
$255.00