Medication for social anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Scars and Memories, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scars and Memories

Scars and Memories Account Closed

Hey people,

I'm going to a psychologist for a few months now and so far it didn't help me to get rid of my SA at all. And I don't really care about the SA anymore, it's always there I can't imagine not having it. But there's just one thing I hate and that's sitting in class being totally uncomfortable and when someone asks you something you're startled and answer something weird.

I just want to feel relaxed and not really care. It's not fun sitting in class all day long not saying anything and being nervous. Is there any medication that could help me? But even if there is something that could work, I still got another problem: my dumbass doctor. I told that asshole that I still feel bad and want to take antidepressants but he said no.:dry:

2. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

Why can't you imagine living without it? It exists doesnt it? you see people all around without it all the time.

Social Anxiety or anxiety for that matter doesn't go away. I mean everyone gets nervous but some, like you and I get to extreme levels and are diagnosed. Big whoop. But who said you can't overcome it? or mainly... learn to control it. It is a skill and like learning an instrument, takes time.

At some point, when a table turns in your life, I hope you realize you don't need to hide who you want to be anymore. There words can only make you stronger.

3. Scars and Memories

Scars and Memories Account Closed

I just can't control it... And even if I can learn that I just want a medication to feel relaxed right now. And how could you control your fear? I can't really do anything about it, it's all automatic:huh:

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

There are a few medications that may help with social anxiety, you should talk to your Doctor or Psychiatrist about them.

I had really terrible social anxiety and a combination of Zyprexa, Mirtazapine and Sodium Valproate seem to have done the trick....I still have relapses but the anxiety is nothing like it was before medication.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  5. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Phenibut has helped a few people with social anxiety but it's no cure or even a worthy substitute for CBT.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

maybe there are things in your history that's making your nervous and scared?

maybe you're around people that might help feed the nerves and feeling inadequate and scared?

i realised recently a lot of fear- so much came from my family, friends and ex gf, and trauma from very recent past and childhood, once i started distancing myself, putting up strong boundaries and knowing who i was, realising where the fear came from, i was outraged, and i'm not as terrified of being 'wrong' because i see a lot of people as wrong, so wrong they think what they are doing (which can hurt others and risk peoples lives) is normal and shouldn't be challenged.

and if you say something weird- i doubt everyone who is startled knows how to formulate an answer that wouldn't show their alarm. there's nothing wrong with being scared or showing that fear. i bet a lot of people out there are terrified all the time for so many reasons, but attempt to hide that , see fear as weak, have trouble with acknowledging their feelings, or mask their fear and try to project an image of being 'care free' because they are so scared of being discovered that they are terrified and do not know who they are and what they are doing.

if you want ADs then maybe try being persistent. ask your doc why he doesn't want to prescribe them to you. if he doesn't maybe you could try seeing another doctor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

it is proven that medication with therapy is the best i don't understand why your doctor won't put you on medication My put me on Cipralex and it does make you tired and calm he uses this with my therapy as it helps me open up more. Ask your GP about an antianxiety medication.

8. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

i have that problem too,my doc refuses to give me anything that could possibly get me high

9. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Same here.

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've taken to using Ativan [in advance] for social anxiety. It's a godsend. Not only does it allow you to relax for the incident itself, that successful incident makes you feel surer about future ones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.