Medication for Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Sidewalk Slam, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidewalk Slam

Sidewalk Slam Well-Known Member

I just wanted to ask anybody on medication for this to tell me all about it. What are you on? How long? Is it working? What have you tried in the past? Did those past meds work? What would you suggest me trying? Etc, etc. You get it.

I couldn't find a treatment section around here... maybe my eyes just skipped right over it. If it's necessary to move, just tell me. =]

I am on citalropram (sp?) .. not officially as they're my moms. She's prescribed to 1.5 a day, but only takes one.. so she has tons of extra. She talked me into taking it too daily because she's probably sick of me moping. I've been taking them for about 2 months and they haven't helped my social anxiety and I don't think they've helped my depression (though I might just be too stubborn to notice a change). They make her feel better though (when I take them) so what the hell.

I was considering going to the doctor to get social anxiety medicine.. I don't feel like explaining my life story. Long story short, I've had it for a while and it keeps getting worse. I'm used to the depression so the main thing I'm worried about fixing first is the social anxiety that's on a downhill run. I KNOW everybody is different and I can't base my treatment off of your guys' but it is a forum after all.. and we can ask questions after all.. so shoot!
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Usually Docs will prescribe Benzodiazepines, but they are highly addictive so they prescribe them short term and a low dose to see how your body reacts first.
    I think Kankuro takes them so he might be able to shed some light. It also depends on how serious your anxiety is. Are you housebound? Agoraphobic etc. Or can you manage to get out every now and again?

I get what you mean about the citalopram, although sometimes it's working and we don't even realise! Just that slight elevation of mood or ability to get out of bed and not cry in the shower, means it's doing it's job, even if it's very minimal. :) Keep taking it, it might take time but hopefully it'll kick in. You can also go to the Doc and ask for something like Fluoxetine or another Anti Depressant on your own prescription because what works for one, might not work for another and vice versa.
    Just gotta find a good cocktail of meds. :)
  3. Sidewalk Slam

Thanks for the reply. I'm not extreme compared to a lot of people I assume. I'm not housebound (though I do need to get out more) and I can make friends eventually. I don't have panic attacks out and about (I've only had one in my life and it was random and didn't ever happen again to that extent). I just have the problem of being REALLY shy, but every month it gets a bit worse and I personally have decided that it is to the point of moderate social anxiety. I want to stop it before it progresses, because knowing myself and how I work, it WILL progress. Also, it's the one thing that gets me down a lot more than just actual depression in general (if that can even make sense). I feel like if I was able to make more friends or more stable and close relationships with friends and if I was able to walk around downtown without feeling completely anxious and paranoid for no reason at all (because of strangers around me) I would feel a lot better in general. I think it would be a PARTIAL cure for my depression which is why I want to tackle it first if not everything at once.

Edit: Mods, if you see this can you move this to the therapy section? I finally found it. :facepalm:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

For anxiety, I've been on alprazolam (xanax) that's addictive, for 8 months.... So that depends on the need of the patient, and the therapy that goes with it. I can go out of my house, I just can't stand crowds. The more people, the more first irrititated, angry, and then it's like if one touches me, I can feel sefl destructive.

So it's very on the case. It's said, and often, doctors avoid to prescribe addictive substances on long-term. It might be different for psychiatrist.

Anyway, maybe I repeat myself on that forum, but for anxieties and all cognitive stuff, therapy is a big big help and can bring acceptable progress rhythm, and solutions for the person. Meds just help.
  5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Hmm, well first of all you can't get medication for social anxiety, and certainly not for what you describe. You can get medication to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety but they're not going to help with being shy in social situations. It sounds more like you need some sort of therapy, assertiveness class or something like that. In addition, you really shouldn't take your mother's medication. It was prescribed for her and she will be monitored for side effects, and it's usefulness etc, which obviously you're not being. If she's being prescribed too much medication she should tell her doctor to reduce it rather than having it lying around. But more importantly, you don't know what it could be doing to you as these things affect people in different ways eg some shouldn't be given to teens because they are known to increase suicidality. If you think you need medication you should go and be assessed yourself for medication that suits you.
  6. Sidewalk Slam

Ignored, I have looked into it frequently and found that there are medications for it. If you want to talk completely literally then I think you and I are on the same page, we just worded it different. I HAVE read though that there are success stories of anxiety medicine helping thoroughly with social anxiety. I wouldn't be attempting treatment if I didn't think I'd moved passed the mark of shy to social anxiety.

And about the citalopram, I've been to a few doctors over the years and it's always the same (except lithium in which there was blood monitoring).. "What are your symptoms. Here's some meds. Try them out, if they don't work or have bad side effects call." So this is pretty much a free version of that. They are giving me no bad side effects (and in fact could be working for all I know) and I'm not on anything else, so I don't have to worry about interactions. It would be exactly the same if I went to a doctor and they tried this on me. Been through this a few times.. with zoloft, abilify, other things I've forgotten. We're in a money tight situation right now or else my mom would probably suggest me going to a doctor. And I'm 20, if that helps.. I know the hormones are still wild and all that at 20 but it's better than actual teen years. I mostly take them for her sake because it makes her feel better about me (that sounds wrong, it just relieves some stress from her knowing I'm on something to help my depression) and there's no reason not to.
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Among medications, SSRI:s are the best for social anxiety as benzos like Xanax and Valium are highly addictive.

Please consider psychotherapy as well, if you combine then you probably will have the best result.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.