• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Medication Frustration

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Just a rant to let off some steam. Need to sort my medication - I stopped taking it a few months ago after an attempt, half due to it not helping, and half due to having to be on top of getting it every week when I barely remembered every month. Lazy, I know, but I was fed up with the system of how they sorted it and I just gave up completely with trying to sort it out and decided I could do better on my own.

At first I could, but a few things happened and I have very much struggled to stay on top of my mood and control it. So I ring the GP, decide I need to get back on medication. I ask for an appointment, but the receptionist tells me I'm not registered (I changed address). Okay, fine. She says I can register online. So I head over there, and everything is fine except that I need photo ID. I have no ID with my new name, only my old one. So I can't fucking register. I *think* my student ID would have counted, but it has my old name, and since the uni is completely inaccessible right now, I can't get it done through them. I could dole out £34 for a new provisional but as stupid as it sounds, I don't have £34. New passport, even more. So now I can't prove who I am and can't get any medication, not until January when my next bit of student finance comes in. Just feels like a joke, and every step to get where I want to be had 50 million side steps to fuck me around.

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey Em

Did you change your name officially? If so, do you have any documentation to prove that? Could they accept your old photo ID with the certificate to show your name change?

Or maybe your original GP could vouch for who you are? They should recognise you..

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Hey Em

Did you change your name officially? If so, do you have any documentation to prove that? Could they accept your old photo ID with the certificate to show your name change?

Or maybe your original GP could vouch for who you are? They should recognise you..
I have a deed poll, so am going to try sending in photo ID with that. Just feels thing after thing after thing to do, all these extra things to make things harder and harder. Thank you though, I'll definitely do that.

Sending hugs

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi Em,

Proof of ID when registering is not actually a contractual requirement for GP practices, rather its more to do with guidance from NHS Counter Fraud. This can lead to inconsitencies between surgeries and their registration procedures. Some receptionists may further complicate matters by adopting a strictly proscriptive approach. However, flexibility is allowed, in fact having no proof of ID is not exactly grounds for registration removal. Proof can be provided at a later stage if need be. Of course online registration can be an arse if a bit of tinkering is required.
As you have already been registered at that practice, they should know who you are, so explaining your predicament would hopefully make them more accomodating. If the receptionists still remain unwilling, then perhaps consider having a word with the practice manager?

By the way, Citizens Advice can be a good stop to grab some assistance, they seem to have dealt with numerous cases of patients having issues in registering without ID. Like I said, many issues stem from lack of awareness that proof of ID is not a mandatory requirement.

Best of luck, hope this gets resolved for you without too much of a delay.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Hi Em,

Proof of ID when registering is not actually a contractual requirement for GP practices, rather its more to do with guidance from NHS Counter Fraud. This can lead to inconsitencies between surgeries and their registration procedures. Some receptionists may further complicate matters by adopting a strictly proscriptive approach. However, flexibility is allowed, in fact having no proof of ID is not exactly grounds for registration removal. Proof can be provided at a later stage if need be. Of course online registration can be an arse if a bit of tinkering is required.
As you have already been registered at that practice, they should know who you are, so explaining your predicament would hopefully make them more accomodating. If the receptionists still remain unwilling, then perhaps consider having a word with the practice manager?

By the way, Citizens Advice can be a good stop to grab some assistance, they seem to have dealt with numerous cases of patients having issues in registering without ID. Like I said, many issues stem from lack of awareness that proof of ID is not a mandatory requirement.

Best of luck, hope this gets resolved for you without too much of a delay.
Thank you, this is useful :)

Sending hugs

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00