Medication, threatment or a risk? (trigger warning?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

revoltra

Okey, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna word this without picking a toe (which is not my intention) But it's just something I've been pondering on. When is the use of antidepressants for anxiety/depression a good thing and when is it a bad one?

I mean, when someone is already very down possibly suicidal how do you go about it. The reason I'm asking is because it came up in therapy and my therapist asked if I would be open to meeting a psych for possible options. I'm not against it I just know that my parents will be (I'm over 18 though so shouldn't REALLY matter).

Urgh, this is hard to word but I guess my mind thought is, the whole handing over a smoking gun dilema, and how that whole transition period works. It would take time for them to work (if they work) and there's no guarante that the person is actually taking them. I guess it's up to the person.

But is that whole risk factor a concern at all?

Ps: I wanna apolegize if this was to far or triggering, it's just obsess and need to pretty muc know everything when it comes to new things. I wanna be prepared when it comes up again.

Kaos General

Hmmmm well medication should always be used as a last resort due to the overdose risks, and when people are suicidal it often is when people are at the end of the line and dont know what to do next.

Mental health is still viewed as a taboo subject so people are reluctant to mention how they are feeling because they are afraid of how people view them.

Pécheur

Account Closed
We spoke about this a little in chat. Just to go over it.

So you're not suicidal, you're therapist should know this because if she thinks you are she may make decisions on what she think's are your best interests. Most extreme being locked up, and as you are no where near needing something like that I think it's important to make her aware that you're not.

Like I said, medication is really only used alongside therapy and not as a 'cure', if you have the ideal situation (which from what you told me you do) and your depression is mainly a chemical imbalance then you should definately try meds and keep up with therapy. You're therapist should keep an eye on you as the first two weeks can be difficult. If you feel worse or no affect after four weeks you should make a note, and also tell a professional if you have anyside affects.

Hope this helps honey, speak soon! Loves you muchly :wub:

revoltra

I'm not against it, but i don't wanna rush in. My situation has pretty much just gotten worse since I started therapy and so I don't want any drastic changes in my life. At least not yet.

I still get suicidal thoughts, but I'm not suicidal. So for now I don't think I want medication tbh, but not sure how to explain that without sounding to crazy. The whole talking about me is completely new to me.

aoeu

It's not a drastic measure. The first round of antidepressants they try on you are completely harmless. You might have to try several to get results. They have a subtle effect, but it makes a huge difference. You don't become a different person. You become you again. The depressed version of you is the other person.

Your parents are stupid or ignorant if they're opposed to antidepressants; for some reason many people feel it's better to be ready to off yourself than to be taking "mind altering drugs". I have no desire to sugar coat those words, that's simply the case.

My dad only came around when he started taking mood stabilizers for epilepsy and discovered that he was happier and drank less as a result. But that probably won't happen for your parents, but fuck them, you need to take care of yourself before worrying what they think.

I strongly suggest you try it, the sooner the better. Once you've found an effective drug regimen you get your life back.

Jace

I'm kind of in the same situation (I think).

About 2 years ago I started to take anti depressants. I went through quite a few and never found one that worked for me. One made me not suffer so much but I was so angry because of a side effect i ended up making others suffer. After about 6 months of trying to find one that worked I gave up trying.

Now for the more recent.
A little over a year I attempted suicide. After that I went through a ton of ups and downs, almost ended up trying again. But now I'm at a place where suicide is still on my mind very often. My mental state has improved but my doctor is still pushing anti-depressants. I'm at a place where I don't want to die every second of the day and I love that. But I'm scared if I wait it'll be too late. But I'm also afraid that if I start again i'll get adverse affects and go down hill.

I hope that can kind of give you some sort of insight.

you don't have to wait until you are really totally suicidal to try anti depressants. they work for regular depression, too. i've found them really helpful. you need to monitor your moods for the first few weeks, in case your energy increases before your mood (that's where the risk of suicide comes in for those who have suicidal plans... you have enough energy to act on your suicidal feelings).

why not try them for a few months? you can't get addicted.

AlopexAngel

Chat Buddy
SF Supporter
I'm kind of in the same situation (I think).

About 2 years ago I started to take anti depressants. I went through quite a few and never found one that worked for me. One made me not suffer so much but I was so angry because of a side effect i ended up making others suffer. After about 6 months of trying to find one that worked I gave up trying.

Now for the more recent.
A little over a year I attempted suicide. After that I went through a ton of ups and downs, almost ended up trying again. But now I'm at a place where suicide is still on my mind very often. My mental state has improved but my doctor is still pushing anti-depressants. I'm at a place where I don't want to die every second of the day and I love that. But I'm scared if I wait it'll be too late. But I'm also afraid that if I start again i'll get adverse affects and go down hill.

I hope that can kind of give you some sort of insight.
As a response to you, it sounds like you don't have depression as such and that is why you feel so angry on them. Without knowing more information or being able to diagnose you in any way, I think it is a good idea to talk to a doctor/therapist/what have you about being cyclothymic or bipolar. It isn't as well known but mania can manifest not only as euphoria but also as extreme irritablity or anger. Just a thought.

bhawk

when someone is severely depressed and contemplating suicide it should be remembered that most anti-depressants can actually increase the suicidal tendencies for the first few weeks, so it could happen that someone will commit suicide due to the anti-depressants "tipping them over the edge"
It comes down to weighing up the pros and cons on an individual level. Someone that is too intent on suicide may be taken into care to then be treated in controlled conditions.
medication can also have side effects which could well make life unbearable itself.

i think its always wise to remember that each case is to be treated individually and that doctors may make incorrect judgements at times, they are only human

Monsieur

I too have contemplated taking anti depressants. So far my treatment plan only consists of CBT therapy and my own will. I'm sure that anti depressants have definitely helped out a lot of people tremendously but I'm still weary of any possible side effects and permanent negative effects. I guess it really does depend on each person; so in the end you just gotta do what feels right for yourself. :)

Good luck!

icequeen

for what its worth, i fought off meds for a long time, i gave in, had horrid side effects, and refused more, but eventually gave in and tried others, cant say they have worked but this last one certainly has not really made me worse. i see a pyschologist and initially it really had me on the edge, but the idea was
exposure on the basis that wotever is causing your pain cant stay at a high level. i have stuck with it, even tho each week i struggle to go as i know i
cant go on like this, so i guess i am saying, in the long run you have nothing to lose and so much to gain. everyone is different but from my own experience i understand it as no pain no gain, as long as its clear what the
pysch expect from you, but certainly an initial visit wont hurt, you can always leave if you feel its not going the way you want. good luck:hugtackles:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00