Medicinal marijuana

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by corang, Jan 20, 2010.

?

What do you think about medicinal marijuana

1. I like the idea for certain problems

38 vote(s)
    88.4%
  2. I hate the idea

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Why isnt it illegal?

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Its now legal in new jersey along with 13 other states. Its only given to people with certain illnesses such as cancer mood disorders and some pain patients. Honestly I dont see the major problem with marijuana being totally legal but making it that way isnt my call. Yes it causes lung problems but so does tobacco. So what do you all think about it and would you try to get a marijuana card?

EDIT: I messed up on the last poll option it should read "why isnt it legal"

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I have mood disorder with psychotic features... hmmmmm....

3. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Eight in 10 Americans favor legalizing medical marijuana: poll

By Stephen C. Webster
    Monday, January 18th, 2010 -- 7:40 pm

The medical marijuana debate among American voters is over.

Eight in 10 Americans -- 81% overall -- support allowing doctors to prescribe cannabis, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll.

That's up from just 69% in 1997, the last time the two firms asked that question, and from 75% in 2003, according to Gallup.

The main divide among American voters today is how the medical community should be enabled to dole out the drug. The most recent state to allow medical marijuana -- New Jersey -- has the most strenuous controls found anywhere in the nation.

Legislators prohibited doctors from prescribing the drug to anyone they think would benefit from it, instead limiting access to patients suffering from a specific list of illnesses. They also limited marijuana production to a series of non-profit facilities, as opposed to the dispensaries popular in California and other states.
    Story continues below...

A slim majority, 56 percent, support deferring to a doctor's discretion on who should be prescribed marijuana, according to the poll.

In spite of the apparent national mandate for medical marijuana, just 14 states allow it.

When it comes to outright legalization, the news agencies found that just 46 percent are in favor. Gallup said in October that it had found 44 percent of Americans support legalization, while an Angus-Reid poll in December resulted in 53 percent in favor.

"Medical marijuana, for its part, receives majority support across the political and ideological spectrum, from 68 percent of conservatives and 72 percent of Republicans as well as 85 percent of Democrats and independents and about nine in 10 liberals and moderates," ABC noted. "Support slips to 69 percent among seniors, vs. 83 percent among all adults under age 65."

Read the full poll [PDF link].

http://rawstory.com/2010/01/10-americans-favor-legalizing-medical-marijuana-poll/

BTW, why is this in substance abuse?

4. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Its still an illegal substance that can be abused.

5. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Why isn't there a thing to vote saying "Marijuana should be legal for private regardless of medical needs."

6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think "Why isn't it illegal" covers it

7. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Marijuana should be legalized everywhere right now... It's a benign drug one can't OD on. It is not physically addictive, unlike alcohol and tobacco. And it doesn't cause accidents, unlike alcohol.

If you're interested in the history of marijuana prohibition, check this:
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/whiteb1.htm

8. Ehizzy3

Ehizzy3 Member

Honestly weed is a great anti depressant...it's to bad in Oregon you can't get mmj for mood disorders

9. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Active Member

Pot CURES my depression.

It is evil what the USA did to me.

I'm not suicidal at all.

I'm pretty damn happy! :)

10. contemplating

contemplating Member

Smoked it for 15 years, just recently stopped (1 month) and my feelings of depression have reared their ugly heads again. Maybe I'll go find some tonight.

11. DownInAHole

Well it beats being suicidal. :)

12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It should definitely be legal. People should be allowed to make their own decisions about what they want to put into their body.

13. hurttoomuch

hurttoomuch Member

It's allowed in my state and I'm also "legal." I use in for neuropathic pain, blood pressure modulation, & sleep (it's better than the $$$ meds that the sleep disorder center prescribed for me). I have never found an antidepressant that has worked and mj truly makes a difference. My doctor prefers that I use it over increasing the medicines, as I've had 2 hospitalizations due to drug interactions, and medical marijuana doesn't interact. It is non toxic.
    Hurttoomuch

14. DownInAHole

I'm suicidal without my medical marijuana.

I was on top of the world lately.

Now all I think about is death.

15. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

I think it should be legal for all purposes, not just medicinal.

And when I do smoke it, it helps with my depression. Also, I just enjoy it.

16. Matrias

Matrias Active Member

Weed helps with my depression alot, it is however illegal in my country Australia and im in the state with the worst penalties NSW, not that getting caught worries me but it would be alot easier if it were legalised. its still just a temporary fix tho..

17. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

I think its great for people who find it works for other problems, but for me it just makes me paranoid, geeked up, and eventually craving other drugs. I've actually known a few people who have gotten addicted to it and had some interesting withdrawal effects such as sweating, anxiety, and insomnia.

18. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

That happened to me a few years ago when I decided to quit after smoking everyday for a year. As well as anxiety and insomnia I also had a headache for about a week, panic attacks, and my emotions went a bit haywire. Needless to say it wasn't pleasant.

19. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

Just wish it wasn't so expensive. I'm on welfare right now trying to go on benefits, that's why I'm on welfare. I spend all my money in a week on weed. When I smoke I'm happy. I need it to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.