Medicine for PTSD?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, May 17, 2018 at 1:44 PM.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

In general what is the medication you peeps with PTSD are on? I am really looking for a solution to stop these thoughts coming back and to stop the vivid memories. . I would love some advice on how to treat PTSD effectively and permanently. Thanks in advance.

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am on Prazosin for nightmares.

Petal likes this.
  3. Petal

Thank you and I remembered you telling me that last week and I wrote it on a piece of paper and took it to the doctor, she said no, that it wouldn't help me. She said its a beta blocker and wouldn't help my ptsd or nightmares. Do you find it helps? I could talk to the consultant and see if he thinks it would help. He has a lot of experience. That's how desperate I am for these constant nightmares to end. I had a nightmare last night about a bully trying to kill me, a very vivid one and then I could be cooking or anything really and images from the abuser flash back at me, its fricking horrible, the PTSD is coming back slowly but surely.

4. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I find it helps. Was it a family doctor (GP) that you talked to? I know that it was a psychiatrist who suggested it to me.

Petal likes this.
  5. Petal

Glad it is helping you :) That gives me hope, it really does. It was a family doctor I went to, when I next see the psychiatrist I will bring it up~ thank you.

6. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Pro SF Supporter

This is gonna sound like the most useless post I’ve ever written, or that I’m playing Devil’s Advocate, but I genuinely choose not to take medication for what has been described as Complex PTSD (you guys and gals will know far more about that than me so I won’t bother with detail). I’m certainly not saying it’s the right thing to do, perhaps I would have been better on meds, but I’m still here and coping so I guess it’s just a balanced argument for and against them. I suppose everyone’s brain is different so meds or not, varying outcomes are to be expected.

Sorry, that all sounds a bit unhelpful but I just find it works for me along with a professional psychotherapist. I did take Curcumin as a natural supplement against the dreaded butterflies, but I will be intrigued as to what other people suggest; maybe I’ll give something a go.

Sorry to hear you’re struggling again hun, I sincerely hope you can find something that works and you get some useful advice. {{Hedgehugs}}

Petal likes this.
  7. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

Hi @Petal , the standard treatments for PTSD would be with antidepressants such as sertraline, mirtazepine, amitryptline or phenelzine. Prazosin, although liciensed for the treatment of blood pressure, has been used "off-licence" for the management of PTSD, predominantly PTSD nightmares, although the effectiveness of it being able to manage the daytime symptoms of PTSD has not been well studied. Naturally of course, it would be best to discuss the suitability of this drug with your psychiatrist rather your family doctor as the pysch would hopefully have more experience in using this medicine for this particular indication.

Karmitkurmit and Petal like this.
  8. Petal

ThanIk you @Karmitkurmit Did the Curcumin help you and when you say the butterflies, do you mean the way it affects your physical side too, like knots in your stomach and tummy upset? I have never heard of curcumin before. I appreciate your reply, it's not useless at all. We all deal and handle things differently.

@Ash600 I will take your advice and see what the psychiatrist says. I am on Sertraline, it does help my anxiety, have been on it since 2014, its one of the better ones in my books. Thanks so much for your reply.

9. Ash600

That's the thing with PTSD, drug treatment or psychotherapy or a combination of both can be utilised. The outcomes will naturally depend on the individual. How one person can respond can be so different to another. Sucess of treatment can only be derived on an empirical basis, as it is the nature and complexity of the human mind.
    (Shit, did I just write that? as it sounds too professional coming from me;))

10. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Pro SF Supporter

Well to be fair, I’ve just read @Ash600 ’s advice and once again the guy has shown his superior knowledge here, excellent advice as usual my friend.

As for the Curcumin, yes I used it to try and stave off the stomach knots. It did certainly work, but then of course it may have simply been a placebo affect. A lot of people will recommend Tumeric, and they’re absolutely right that it does indeed contain Curcumin (often recommended for joint pain but also some mental health issues), but from the research I did there is not enough Curcumin in tumeric to make a real difference to extreme cases; therefore, they worked out how to extract the Curcumin and sell it as a supplement in its own right and higher concentrations...check me out using big words! I actually don’t know much about science but they seemed to work for me. The ones I take are branded “Simply Supplements” and are 12000mg capsules. There’s 90 in bottle and they recommend one to two a day. I get mine from Amazon, but as usual consult your doc first. Another one I was highly recommended was St Johns Wart, but definitely consult the Doc as apparently this stuff, whilst natural, is pretty potent and has some side affects as well as not being suitable to be used alongside some prescription drugs.

Part of my point about not talking meds is probably relevant here in that I suspect my research into what causes “butterflies” was probably more helpful than anything. For me, once I start to understand my body and it’s reactions to certain circumstances then I can almost treat it like a machine, which is relevant to my profession. If I know what’s going on when I feel these things, I find I can sit through them and almost “study” myself rather than treating it like an issue to be feared....I’m making no sense tonight!

{{Hedgehugs}}

11. Ash600

It's one of the compounds of turmeric. Though used in cooking as a spice, it does seem to have good anti-inflammatory properties and from some quarters antidepressant activity as well. However, bear in mind these are based on anecdotal evidence.
    Personally, I like to drop it in a curry or if I want to spice up a can of baked beans with chilli powder and turmeric.:)

12. Ash600

Turmeric has been known for it's indigstive qualities, therefore you may be benefiting from it's gastro-carminative effects.

St John's wort - also known as the "sunshine drug" or "herbal prozac" Yeah, it can be of benefit to some but a word of caution, it can interact with so many medicines, the effects being mild, moderate, severe or arse-shattering catastrophic. Particularly taken concurrently with antidepressants and you could run the risk of developing serotonin syndrome which is quite a dangerous condition, so please be careful. Also due to varying levels of bio-availability, I would suggest keeping to the same brand should you wish to use it.

- You are making sense and that is quite and effective and clinical way for you to manage this. As I also maintain, find the root cause and treat the bugger!

Petal and Karmitkurmit like this.
  13. Leav

Leav Active Member

I have read/watched videos explaining that pain or discomfort (emotional or physical) is a sign of something going on inside of you. The problem with medication is that can often lead to people not facing their pain or trauma head on. So the symptoms may be quietened but the underlying trauma is not dealt with. Leading to a very long cycle of feeling pain and then taking drugs to get rid of it, but it always comes back. Emotional pain when traversed can often lead to huge growth as a person. Have you talked about the trauma that led to your PTSD in therapy, felt the pain the trauma has left in you? One of the issues in our society is that we are not taught that emotional pain must be felt and dealt with, rather than avoided. Btw I'm not preaching at you, this is something I'm having to face myself, dealing with reoccurring depression.

You have my sympathy though, I hope you can find relief.

14. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

I know many people have already suggested prazosin, but I can say for sure that has helped me so much. It is a blood pressure medication, but it has been shown to be very effective in treating nightmares. I have only had one nightmare since I was put on it in January, and before that I was having several violent ones a night. As for medications, xanax helps me when I'm in the throes of a panic attack or flashback. Long term, I know many people are helped with SSRIs, but since I have bipolar disorder, I can't be on those and have had luck being on a mood stabilizer (I'm on Lamictal). It's all up to how your brain works. I hope you find the right medication combo for you. PTSD sucks.

Ash600 and Petal like this.
  15. sedamDanaLjeta

sedamDanaLjeta SF Supporter

I would love to have a med which cures PTSD permanently as well, but my epxeprience is what @Leav mentioned. Meds would mask or numb the emotions and next triggering event would and still does awaken feelings through my mind and body. Facing the emotions was most helpful but it took years just to get to the point of half the time noticing them coming on and then realizing it as a memory being activated but not an actual event happening.

16. Leav

Leav Active Member

I forgot to say specifically about the nightmares - rather than viewing them as purely negative and something to get rid of, could you try viewing them as a message from your subconscious, that there is stuff you need to work through? You could try keeping a dream journal as soon as you wake up and then interpreting your dreams, to see how they connect to your past and current emotions?