Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by elvinchild, Jul 1, 2009.

1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I've been trying some meditation tonight, I thought of you all and thought this video might be helpful to some of us:

Really. Check it out!
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Meditation has helped me a lot. At first I couldn't do it. All I did was sink deeper into my depression. Now I have to meditate with a positive affirmation, at least to start. I know that meditation is more than just quieting the mind, because for me at least there is so much buried and so many emotions that it's my pain goes much deeper than my conscious thoughts, and I need some kind of positive focus or affirmation to go along with it.

Hope meditation continues to work for you.
  3. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Meditation is good and constructive. What kind of meditation do you do? There are several different kinds, you know. In my case, I do Buddhist Zen. Zen also includes the concept of Mu-shin (No Mind). If you really think about it, that Mu-shin feels Uncomfortably close to a suicidal state of mind. Why? Well, because a suicidal person wants to destroy himself, while the meditational state of Mushin is "No Mind" in which you try to erase "self." The way I see it, then, how I do it is take the suicidal state of mind and give it a twist by applying Mushin. It's both sides of the same coin,that is, an extremely fine line between those two states, but Mushin enables me to survive.
  4. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I'm just starting to learn to meditate, so I've tried a few guided cds and videos, although I'm not sure exactly what they are. Mostly they try to help me let go of my thoughts (just let them come and go), and to bring me into the present moment and passively become aware of my breathing and everything around me. I've done some visualization too. Is that just, beginner meditation haha? Its really helpful for me though because I'm realllllly easily distracted by my thoughts and tend to be an obsessive worrier, I need to learn to come back to the present moment.