Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by IV2010, Oct 7, 2010.

1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

has anyone tried meditation and do you have any good links?.

I've been told to try's supposed to be good for relaxing.
  2. MistyMaisy

MistyMaisy Well-Known Member

Oh I love meditation. It makes me feel like I'm flying.. o.o It is really relaxing. o: I don't use any particular method, just the way I saw on TV I guess. o:
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Ivy, you should get those portable indoor water fountain , get some incent or therapy oil burners, calm music like enya, soak your feet in hot water and pop a valium. That's what i would do...
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Sit comfortably, have a fan on as a white noise generator (don't have it positioned so it can blow on you, that can make you uncomfortable), blindfold yourself. This'll keep you from being distracted. Set a timer, start at 10 minutes the first day, increase it by 1 minute a day until you hit your maximum (dictated by how much time you wish to spend doing it.)

Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Try to let your breathing happen naturally within that constraint.

Focus on the rise and fall of your stomach, and count.

In, 1
    Out, 2

If you lose count or find your mind on something else, start back at 1, don't feel disappointed - it's just as much meditation at this step as later steps. If you hit 10, move up a level:

In and out, 1
    In and out, 2

Same thing. If you hit 10, move up another level:

In and out
    In and out, 1
    In and out
    In and out, 2

etc. I just finished, I was able to do 5 breaths per number, I've never made it to 6.

Continue until the alarm goes off. You have two choices here: sit for a while, continuing with your breathing, but not counting, feeling the calm, or simply wake up feeling refreshed and move on with your day.

Do it whenever you feel you need it, try to do at least 10 minutes a day.
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

All good ideas guys..
    I found some on utube that work as well....

guided meditation is good ....
    breathing to a gong ...

6. Malou

Malou Well-Known Member

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Just sit down, fold your legs, close your eyes and meditate. I find the best time to meditate is before I go to sleep. Very calming and relaxing. :smile:
  8. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

there's lots and lots of meditation methods.

there's also tai-chi, yoga, and chi-gong

a simple method is to just sit in a chair and try to keep you mind clear. sounds easy, but it's really tough!

joining a meditation group can be nice too
  9. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

i have to admit medication is pretty good. the only bad part is the time you have to spend trying to find what combination works for you. i have bpd and i'm taking geodon, zoloft and welbutrin.
  10. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

i read the title wrong. i'm sorry
  11. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

no apologies necessary. :)
  12. space_monkey

space_monkey Member

I have tryed to keep a simple object (like a small red or blue plastic triangle/square)many times in my minds eye for more than afew seconds, but as i a cant control it, it makes me feel like i've failed somehow :( never tried breath counting think i will.
    I have experienced absolute nothing no emotion and it was really easy to keep my thoughts at bay just focusing on this beam of light/electricity which was all there was in the enitirety of exsistance for about 5 mins before during a trip with a extremely potent psychodelic someone I know calls them a shortcut to meditation.
  13. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you had a good experience. I think that a lot of people involved in meditation are very critical of drug use though. Some folks can develop mental health problems when using psychedelics.

I think the feeling of having failed is common for mediators. I think that part of the problem is that people imagine that meditation is very easy. Meditation, while it may be simple, is extremely difficult. It takes practice, and your mind will wander off course frequently. I'm think that in time, with regular practice, you can experience greater focus and clarity.

Profound benefits are alleged to derive from daily practice, if you can practice for an hour daily for three years. A permanent resistance to stress.
  14. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I've pm;d you :)
  15. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Ok, gonna post my pm to IV here too:

I would suggest this site:
    It give written info and an audio file which leads you through a meditation, its a simple and effective one.

And then there is this site
    Which has a vast list of meditation, depending on what you want, each is a step through guide.
    Hope it helps

Been meditating since i was 15, and i would suggest it as a help for people. and i have a few times on here.