mediums and stuff..

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by emily83, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

hi.

so just wondering- how many people on here believe in mediums?. (the people that can talk to the dead) and how many don't?

i ask because, well.. i don't believe in them at all- i think it's a good entertainment programme, but i don't know how in the real world they can do it

but my mom, totally believes that they can give messages from the dead to the living- so much so she is going to see one live in november.

so i thought.. well their's 2 diffrent opinions in the same family- i'll post here and see what you guys think

2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

In my (very limited) experience I've found that the older generation still cling to such beliefs, whilst the young generation is more cynical, for want of a better word. It'd be interesting to meet someone my age who believes in communicating with the dead.

I don't believe. The very notion is silly. It's a form of entertainment that prayed on the vulnerable for money, with film and TV keeping it alive.

My mum, however, does believe. My nanna died a year ago and last week my mum said to me "nanna just told me you should take a taxi tomorrow, not a bus." I said "mum, nanna's not here" and she replied with "I'm just telling you what nanna said." Things like that make me so mad, yet I feel sorry for my mum for believing such things. I didn't argue with her because I didn't want to upset her, but I find it amazing how people can believe in things like that.

The people who do it professionally have been informed of certain facts prior to the act - it's a fact that's often been proven.

3. emily83

i always thought that- so you've just proven my theory

and that is exactly why i don't believe in it- never have, and probably never will.. even if it happened to me

4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I guess people like to believe that there's something after death, or that their lost loved ones are still with them and guiding them. I can appreciate people wanting that comfort and I wouldn't want to take it away from them if it was harmless, but at the same time I don't understand how they can believe it. It's not right that people make money from it, though.

5. emily83

i do believe in a life after death, but that's for another thread entirely, i suppose.

6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I guess I do believe in a way that you can. My mum has been to several group spiritual meetings, and there was things that were brought up that only my mum knew. So in some aspects yes, I do believe. but in others I dont

7. Skyfire

Skyfire Active Member

I believe there are definitely people out there who are sensitive to forces in the world around us that not everyone can perceive, and that sometimes includes an awareness of the dead - some are born that way, others achieve that sensitivity through practice. I don't believe it's supernatural, I believe its preternatural.

I also believe there are plenty of con artists out there who play on peoples' hopes and fears in order to scam cash out of their pockets by spinning them a pretty fantasy. And it can be hard to tell the difference between a con and the genuine article; they are good at what they do. Its why I rarely have anyone else do a reading, for tarot or anything else; if I want one done, I do it myself. My best advice when having a reading done is to never let a psychic decided your future; listen to them with an open mind, take their readings under advisement, and then make your own decisions.

I do not know if there is some kind of life after death, but I most certainly believe that people leave imprints of themselves, or their energy, on the fabric of the world that linger after they have died. Maybe I am more inclined to believe because I've had my own experiences with inexplicable phenomena. It is a difficult thing to deny the evidence of one's own experience.

8. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

I am psychic, am 38. I believe that what I experience is true, however there are ALOT of people out there who claim to be mediums/psychic and prey on the unhappy/grieving and sick and get loads of money out of them.
    In reality the % of true psychics is quite low and genuine ones like myself never shout about it, take money or brag. If spirit wishes to come through to me for my benefit or on behalf of someone else then this is a good thing. Stage mediumship, premium rate phone line readings and the mass increase in mediums is very sad and unhealthy in my eyes and wish it hadn't got like it.

I can see why people are sceptical, over the years I have had many many messages from 'mediums' and probably out of them all only 3 were genuine people.
    There is alot of ego work involved, which is sad and awful, its a natural, beautiful gift and should be treated like one not a money spinner or ego boost.

9. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have no idea why I am responding to this but let me say that I am a severe skeptic in all things of faith. I am not a "religious" person or spiritual person. Last weekend my wife attended a psychic party - spent $50 to be "read". I can say for certain the "psychic" knew nothing of her ahead of time because she had not intended to go at all until 20 minutes before the party and she went only because her friend really wanted to go and knew nobody else there. Further, she got her reading before her friend did so she walked in and sat down with the "psychic" that could not have a possible way knowing anything about her. She also recorded the entire thing on her iphone so I listened as well when she got home. While much of it was about as convincing as a daily horoscope in the newspaper, I have to admit there were several very pointed comments that left me scratching my head in the "how she know that" way.... I will call it very interesting entertainment.

So far as being scams - I think anybody that makes life changes or decisions on them is scamming themselves- no medium needed. Yes, the lady charged $50 for 20 minutes and I would not have paid $3 but it was my wife's choice and it is certainly no more of a scam (in my opinion) than a "respected" preacher telling an entire congregation that is they do not tithe 10% of their income then they will burn in hell for eternity- without making even an attempt at showing the sermon was directed at you.

If you can believe in one then the other should be easy.

10. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

I believe in the impossible (whatever that might be) after seeing something I would of put down to a hallucination if it weren't for my best friends GF standing next to me at the time saying she could see it too so I do not (nor could I), discount anything anymore. As for mediums and parapsychology, yeah I believe there is something to it. Saying that though there are so so many so called mediums who trick people into believing them it has damaged any truth it might of once held. I'd be very very weary handing money over to anyone who said they were a medium after seeing some of the tricks of the mind scammers can pull.

If you want to know how the scammers do it, look up Derren Brown on youtube. He is a mentalist who has done many shows in uk and uses similar tricks of the mind as the so called mediums use. Amazing yes, supernatural no.

For example

[video=youtube;BcJr5TET-uc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJr5TET-uc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  11. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

There are things that are beyond explanation, because I've experienced some myself. I wouldn't say I'm psychic, but I do have a bit of a sixth sense. I think lots of people have this sense, but they just don't know how to tap into it.

12. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

So far NO medium has ever passed any form of scientific scrutiny. Cold reading is far too easy and all the big names have been proven to be doing just as such, even if they do not realise they are doing it themselves.
    I remember someone saying something very true of supernatural topics (namely religion if i remember correctly) They are like insurance salesmen, requiring you to part with short term benefits through fear for a promise of something that is not certain. (that is paraphrasing)
    There is NO evidence other than anecdotal. Anecdotal doesnt work in reality, i personally have seen what can only be called the devil, i have seen creatures you would expect in the bowels of hell, i have even once seen a flying shark. While this is due to illness, the brain regularly hallucinates in even the healthiest of people, this has been studied for many years and is fairly well understood in some ways. Our reality itself is by and large "filler" information the brain creates retrospectively. This is why objectivity is crucial, which is where the scientific method comes into its own.
    The people who claim to be mediums who are knowingly faking it (again even some of the big names have been caught out) are some of the vilest people alive, they are profiting of other peoples grief, disrespecting the memories of their loved ones and doing so for nothing but personal gain. They should be imprisoned!

Despite the point that there is no evidence for such things, the things that disprove it for me are twofold.
    A) i have a disorder of the brain, if i die and i exist post mortem, does me "soul" still have the illness, a physical borne illness. If not why not, its part of me, my personality, who i am...if so, then why would someone do that to me, while having suffered, i am now a better person for having my illness. not only has it made me a better person, it has given me a new perspective of life, one which is produced by my illness.
    b) Within 26 years of thinking, i have driven myself insane...i often long to simply not think...yet people are claiming we will be doing so for an eternity, this sounds like nothing more than a torture. Why would anyone want to think for an eternity...not a long time, but a fecking ETERNITY.

Anyway im going to stop my rambling there, i could go on about this for far too long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.